User Tag List

Hi

I accidentally upgraded my unlocked/jailbroken iphone to 3.1 firmware. Ive been able to downgrade to 3.0 and jailbreak and also upgrade to custom 3.1 firmware. However with either firmware my wi-fi works but I get no network reception with a new O2 sim-card (Im in ireland). I havnt been able to activate the iphone ligitimatly because I don't have the original sim-card (got the phone on e-bay).

Im pretty resigned to not being able to unlock my phone but I was hoping I could get the phone working with an o2 sim card again. Has anyone had a similar problem or any solutions (with any network)?

Thanks in advance...
    2009-09-27 01:19 AM
    what iphone generation do you have?
    if it's a 3G or 3GS, I'm afraid you're screwed buddy. updating to official 3.1 was a BAD idea, as it updated your modem firmware, and the new modem firmware can neither be downgraded nor unlocked. your phone could be forever locked, sorry.
    2009-09-27 01:26 AM
    Dman it was 3g...
    So no hope without finding an unlock solution? Not even with a different O2 simcard?

Guess Ill have to keep my fingers crossed for a base band unlock or downgrade...
    Thanks for the reply.
    2009-09-27 01:31 AM
    Dman it was 3g...
    So no hope without finding an unlock solution? Not even with a different O2 simcard?

Guess Ill have to keep my fingers crossed for a base band unlock or downgrade...
    Thanks for the reply.
    well, not really, you need a simcard of the carrier that sold the iphone. if it's an irish iphone you could get a simcard from whoever sells the iphone in ireland, but that's about it.

there are rumours about possible baseband downgraders, but so far they are only rumours.
    maybe the dev team unlocks a future baseband, who knows, but I wouldn't count on it, sorry.
    2009-09-27 02:02 AM
    Well thats what I was asking. Sorry shoulda made it clearer, O2 is the network that sells the Iphone in my country, however even when I use an O2 simcard with my jailbroken firmware I get no network. Is it possible to activate the Iphone with any O2 simcard, or is each iphone paired with the sim-card it was sold with?
    2009-09-27 01:24 PM
    Well thats what I was asking. Sorry shoulda made it clearer, O2 is the network that sells the Iphone in my country, however even when I use an O2 simcard with my jailbroken firmware I get no network. Is it possible to activate the Iphone with any O2 simcard, or is each iphone paired with the sim-card it was sold with?
    the iphones are usually carrier-locked. that means if it's an O2 Ireland iphone, you should be able to use any O2 Ireland simcard ... so I guess you do not have an irish phone, sorry.
    2009-09-27 01:26 PM
    Thats weird because Im 100% sure that I have an irish Iphone. Could anything else such as jailbreaking without activating the phone cause the loss of network coverage?
    2009-09-27 01:30 PM
    Thats weird because Im 100% sure that I have an irish Iphone. Could anything else such as jailbreaking without activating the phone cause the loss of network coverage?
    could happen, but I suppose you already tried multiple restores/unlocks? because this might happen ONCE for some strange reason, but if it happens all the time and you are sure that you have an irish phone, it could also be a hardware problem.

or maybe you can only use the iphone with iphone-simcards in ireland, I'm not sure, but normally you can use any simcard from the carrier that sells the iphone (at least here in germany).
    2009-09-27 01:58 PM
    Yep tried multiple upgrades/downgrades, thought it might have had something to do with the fact that I didnt legitimately activate it, just used irecovery to break outta the recovery loop after each upgrade/downgrade, and jailbroke when all I could get was the emergency screen. Is there any way to activate/hacktivate the iphone without actually jailbreaking it?
    2009-09-27 07:39 PM
    Yep tried multiple upgrades/downgrades, thought it might have had something to do with the fact that I didnt legitimately activate it, just used irecovery to break outta the recovery loop after each upgrade/downgrade, and jailbroke when all I could get was the emergency screen. Is there any way to activate/hacktivate the iphone without actually jailbreaking it?
    I believe PwnageTool can do that, not sure though
    2009-09-27 10:10 PM
    Cool, ill give it a go. Thanks for all the replys.
    2009-09-27 11:09 PM