User Tag List

Hello modmyi, I am an iphone noob and have searched hell and back but couldn't find the solution. Tried google, yahoo, hell even youtube but to no avail. So i thought maybe I need the help of some experts.

I have a 3gs running on 3.0.1 jailbroken and just last night my cydia would crash. if its tapped it'll just go back to my homescreen. I believe I have openSSH installed and SBSsetting but i dont think its enabled. I tried doing the cydiaclearcache but it still didnt work. I am running out of ideas.

The idea of rejalbreaking crossed my mind but if i restore, i know i'll be forced to get 3.1. if thats my only hope i have no problem doing it, i just dont know how to do it.

I have a mac with itunes 9.0, windows with itunes 9.0, and another windows with itunes 8.2

HELP PLEASE.
    2009-09-29 01:34 AM
    You can enable SSH in SBsettings.

Its most likely a corrupt repo database, you can SSH into the phone, navigate to Cydia's folder (sorry not sure the path off hand) and delete the database files, they are in a folder under cydia.

Or, you can try using Purplera1n to install "freeze" which will install cydia again, and wont mess the phone up and you wont have to restore.
    2009-09-29 01:45 AM
    You can run redsn0w or you can find the .deb of cydia off of sauriks server and install it via terminal (dpkg -i cydiaXXXXXXX.deb)
    2009-09-29 01:54 AM
    You can enable SSH in SBsettings.

Its most likely a corrupt repo database, you can SSH into the phone, navigate to Cydia's folder (sorry not sure the path off hand) and delete the database files, they are in a folder under cydia.

Or, you can try using Purplera1n to install "freeze" which will install cydia again, and wont mess the phone up and you wont have to restore.
    When I got the phone it was 3.0.1 then I tried using purplera1n to jailbreak it but it didnt work so I used redsn0w to downgrade to 3.0 and it worked. But it still says my software is still 3.0.1. Now, will it still work if i use purplera1n to install cydia?

You can run redsn0w or you can find the .deb of cydia off of sauriks server and install it via terminal (dpkg -i cydiaXXXXXXX.deb)
    I have that file but I dont have mobile terminal installed on my phone. can I install cydia.deb via terminal on mac or windows?
    Last edited by miss_machine; 2009-09-29 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-09-29 02:00 AM
    When I got the phone it was 3.0.1 then I tried using purplera1n to jailbreak it but it didnt work so I used redsn0w to downgrade to 3.0 and it worked. But it still says my software is still 3.0.1. Now, will it still work if i use purplera1n to install cydia?
    Umm, if it says 3.0.1, thats what you have, downgrade didnt work.
    2009-09-29 02:15 AM
    Umm, if it says 3.0.1, thats what you have, downgrade didnt work.
    So i take it purplera1n isn't going to work.

I tried rerunning redsn0w 0.8 with windows itunes 8.2, basically trying to rejailbreak it. it asked to locate the firmware so i chose the 3.0.ipsw held shift then restore then chose the firmware, but it didn't do anything, it gave me an error saying this Iphone is not eligible to perform this restore blah blah.

Did i do it wrong?
    2009-09-29 02:21 AM
    You can install via terminal on a mac
    2009-09-29 02:33 AM
    You can install via terminal on a mac
    might i ask how? I dont have SSH nor SBSettings nor mobileterminal (i thought i did but no). Terminal on mac is my only hope? maybe...
    2009-09-29 02:43 AM
    You aren't supposed to restore. Plug the phone into the computer, and run redsn0w. No iTunes. Run redsn0w and rejailbreak WITHOUT restoring the phone. This may help you.
    2009-09-29 11:00 AM
    You aren't supposed to restore. Plug the phone into the computer, and run redsn0w. No iTunes. Run redsn0w and rejailbreak WITHOUT restoring the phone. This may help you.
    I plugged the phone in closed iTunes then rad redsn0w. Redsn0w asked me to look for the firmware so I chose the firmware clicked next checked install cydia and started to do the same thing as when initially jailbroken it. It rebooted my phone and iTunes popped up saying the error "this iPhone is not eligible to restore". All this was performed while phone was COMPLETELY TURNED ON.

I don't exactly know what I did wrong. Was the phone supposed to be turned off, in DFU mode, recovery mode or something.

Help I'm running out of ideas
    2009-09-29 05:02 PM
    when you select the firmware for redsn0w...select 3.0 not 3.0.1...give that a try you can also connect to terminal on a pc via winscp....
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy
    2009-09-29 05:07 PM
    when you select the firmware for redsn0w...select 3.0 not 3.0.1...give that a try you can also connect to terminal on a pc via winscp....
    I selected 3.0 as the firmware since I have 3.0.1. Should I download the firmware again?

I have both pc and a mac so I can use whatever. But maybe mac is easier. Now like I said before I dont have ssh nor sbsetting. If I can fix/reinstall cydia via terminal on mac or pc without requiring sbsettings and ssh that would be awesome.
    2009-09-29 06:05 PM
    When you start, the phone will be on. When you are in redsn0w, it will tell you to put the phone into DFU mode.
    2009-09-29 06:34 PM
    When you start, the phone will be on. When you are in redsn0w, it will tell you to put the phone into DFU mode.
    It told me to power off then hold home button until I see the USB with iTunes (which is recovery right?) I thought DFU is when the screen is all black. So iTunes popped up and had that error.

I'm using redsn0w 0.8
    2009-09-29 07:02 PM
    So it's iTunes that giving you the error.. not redsn0w...? I'm confused as iTunes has nothing to do with the redsn0w process.
    2009-09-29 07:14 PM
    You won't put the phone into Recovery. Ok. Try this. Put the phone into DFU mode before you load up redsn0w. iTunes will come up and say it has detected an iPhone in recovery, yadda yadda yadda. Tell it to piss off by saying ok and closing it. Then, open redsn0w and do the process, with on eexception. When you get to the part where it says "Make sure the phone is off" just click next, and watch the magic.

EDIT: Oh holy ****, just realised. You're on a 3GS. Ok. So that process is different from the 3G. My bad. likePoseidon said, iTunes has nothing to do with the jailbreak process, I don't see why it would pop up with an error. You are on 3.0.1, you're sure? Check Settings -> General -> About -> Version.
    Last edited by KawiKami; 2009-09-29 at 07:28 PM.
    2009-09-29 07:24 PM
    Ohhh you got me all excited!! Damn this 3gs...
    I'm confused too. I did this twice but iTunes pops up.

I just checked right now and it says 3.0.1

OMG OMG I JUST TAPPED CYDIA RIGHT NOW AND ALL OF A SUDDEN ITS WORKING!! I didn't even do anything. I guess it fixed itself? For 2 days cydia wouldn't even load, it'll just respring back to my homescreen

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and sorry if there was some confusions. Maybe signing up modmyi on mynphone fixed it

Oh and this time I will install sbsettings and mobile terminal and openssh.
    Last edited by miss_machine; 2009-09-29 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-09-29 07:49 PM
    HAHA. Very glad it worked for you, that is very strange.
    2009-09-29 08:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD