***Any downloads that you need just Google them and you can easily find them***
    ***Perform this at your own risk I will not be held responsible for any damage***

Download this first
    • iTunes 9
    • RedSn0w 0.8
    • QuickPwn 22-1
    • Custom iPhone 3g 3.1 Firmware (Unactivated for ATT)
    • iPhone 3g 3.0 firmware

Install
    • iTunes 9
    • Backup iPhone 3g

This is the most simple way I can think of to avoid any 16xx errors while jailbreaking. This will not Unlock the iPhone 3g only Jailbreak.

Note*
    *Extract RedSn0w 0.8 and place your Firmware files on your desktop.
    *Join your Custom Firmware file.

If you are running firmware 3.1 already then downgrade to 3.0 using these steps. (Skip if your iPhone is Jailbroken with 3.0 Firmware)

1. Open iTunes with iPhone 3g connected
    2. Put your iPhone into DFU mode
    3. iTunes will detect iPhone in DFU or Recovery Mode (Either one works)
    4. Hold “Shift” and click “Restore”
    5. Select 3.0 Firmware from desktop
    6. Wait for iPhone to restore
    7. After Error appears exit out of iTunes completely
    8. Open QuickPwn
    9. When you open QuickPwn it will come out with a window saying to restart your iPhone (IMPORTANT don’t close this window)
    10. Follow the instructions to restart the phone and in a few minutes it will show you the Home Screen
    11. Congratulations you have now downgraded your iPhone 3g.

Now Jailbreak your 3.0 Firmware (Skip if your iPhone is Jailbroken with 3.0 Firmware)
    • Open RedSn0w & follow the onscreen instruction within minutes you should have a jailbroken iPhone 3g running 3.0 Firmware(This is necessary to Restore the custom 3.1 Firmware with no problems)

Now you are ready to Restore with the Custom 3.1 Firmware
    1. Open RedSn0w & select the 3.0 Firmware like in the previous step.
    2. Follow the instructions up to right after the point where you put your iPhone in DFU mode.
    3. Follow the instructions to set iPhone into DFU mode
    4. After 3 to 5 seconds exit out of RedSn0w
    5. Your iPhone is now in DFU mode (This is the step that makes all the 16xx errors disappear & lets you easily Restore your Custom Firmware)
    6. Open iTunes 9
    7. iTunes will detect iPhone in DFU mode
    8. Hold “Shift” and click “Restore”
    9. Select the Custom Firmware
    10. Wait for the Restore to finish
    11. Congratulations you know have a Jailbroken iPhone 3g running 3.1 Firmware.

This has worked for me on several iPhone's without any problems.
    2009-10-08 06:02 AM
    Umm.. yeah there's *a lot* of unnecessary information in there...

Basically, go into DFU mode if you're not upgrading from a jailbroken state.
    If you *are* already jailbroken, *don't* go into DFU mode, but instead shift+restore from recovery mode or regular.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2009-10-08 06:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD