Hey all,

I read somewhere that Apple updated the bootrom in the newer 3GS phones and the 24kpwn exploit or whatever it was called is no longer possible. Are those models already in the apple stores? My sister was planning on getting an iphone and she will willingly trade for my 3g and let me have the 3gs so thats why im curious. I dont want the 3gS if i cant jailbreak it.

So what do you all think?
    2009-10-17 04:16 PM
    Hey all,

I read somewhere that Apple updated the bootrom in the newer 3GS phones and the 24kpwn exploit or whatever it was called is no longer possible. Are those models already in the apple stores? My sister was planning on getting an iphone and she will willingly trade for my 3g and let me have the 3gs so thats why im curious. I dont want the 3gS if i cant jailbreak it.

So what do you all think?
    I think it depends on the bootrom. If it's the newest bootrom, you won't be able to jailbreak or unlock. If it's the previous bootrom, you can jailbreak with Purplera1n. Since you're from New Orleans, I assume you're on AT&T, so you wouldn't have to worry about unlock. You just need to make sure the bootrom isn't the newest one.
    2009-10-17 07:06 PM
    Not sure if they are in the stores yet but I can tell you that I just bought a 3gS upgraded to v3.1.2 and have used the blackra1n jailbreak and all is good.
    2009-10-17 11:52 PM
    Well lets hope so. I am going tomorrow to get the 3GS and if it doesnt work I will just let her keep the shiny one i guess.
    2009-10-18 01:15 AM
    I am in texas and I just bought my 3Gs on the 8th. Even if the current jailbreak doesnt work someone will eventually come up with one for it.
    2009-10-18 03:48 AM
    I am in texas and I just bought my 3Gs on the 8th. Even if the current jailbreak doesnt work someone will eventually come up with one for it.
    next year
    2009-10-18 04:37 AM
    Ok I just got the 3GS and its running the 3.1 firmware so I think thats a good sign right? is ther anyway to tell if the jailbreak will work or should i just update and try blackra1n?
    2009-10-18 06:58 PM
    I bought my iPhone 3gs 32 gig 2 weeks ago, upgraded to 3.1.2 in the latest version of iTunes and had no trouble jailbreaking on Windows with blackra1n. My only issue is when soft rebooting, my iPhone gets stuck on the apple loading screen (holding the power button and homekey for 20 secs usually does the trick). And a few apps from Cydia won't work ie cycorder. Other than that, no issues...
    2009-10-20 06:13 PM
    Correct. The newest 3GS iPhones coming from the factory have patched the bootrom exploit needed to run redsn0w, pwnage, and blackra1n.
    2009-10-20 06:17 PM
    I've also read that jailbreaking will only work on 3gs models MB or earlier,, but mine's a MC and jailbroke just fine.
    2009-10-20 06:20 PM
    I've been told if you can get ahold of custom 3.1.2 firmware you can restore and jailbreak a new 3Gs without touching your baseband?

Does a custom firmware update through iTunes rely at all on the 24kpwn exploit?
    2009-10-20 07:16 PM
    I've been told if you can get ahold of custom 3.1.2 firmware you can restore and jailbreak a new 3Gs without touching your baseband?

Does a custom firmware update through iTunes rely at all on the 24kpwn exploit?
    I would like to know this too as i have my eyes on a 3gs but i need it jailbroken for some little things that apple really should have put in the first place: notifier, being able to download files from the internet, etc. but i use a ton
    2009-10-21 04:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD