User Tag List

First off, I'm a complete n00b when it comes to the iPhone.

I have a iPhone 3G that was unlocked/jailbroken and I accidentally upgraded to 3.1.3 from 3.1.2. My phone is now stuck on the emergency call screen. I tried restoring it and nothing happened.

I have been searching the web all day and I have no idea where to start. I would love it if someone could explain on how to fix this. I know there is a slim to no chance of unlocking it, but if someone could help me get it off the emergency screen and point me in the right direction on getting it back to normal, I would be eternally grateful.

If you need more info, I will try to provide it.

Thank you in advance.
    2010-03-08 04:26 AM
    You need to activate it using an AT&T sim
    2010-03-08 04:47 AM
    The phone is under Fido but my SIM card is from Rogers (Canada).
    2010-03-08 05:03 AM
    Sorry, but if you upgraded to official 3.1.3 through iTunes, your baseband got upgraded too. Which means no unlock for the foreseeable future.
    2010-03-08 11:35 AM
    Would it make any difference if I were to find someone with a Fido SIM card and crack it from there?
    2010-03-08 06:32 PM
    Nope.. you still won't be able to unlock it.
    2010-03-08 06:43 PM
    Ok, so just making sure I'm getting this right; I have to unlock the phone in order to get out of the emergency call screen?
    2010-03-08 07:43 PM
    Ok, so just making sure I'm getting this right; I have to unlock the phone in order to get out of the emergency call screen?
    Yes but there is no current way to unlock a 3g iphone with the 3.1.3 firmware. So your only other choice is to get at&t as a carrier.
    2010-03-08 07:46 PM
    Not true since it's a 3G. If you just want to access your springboard, use redsn0w 0.9.2 and it will hacktivate your phone and allow you access to the springboard. But if you don't have an official carrier's sim, then you won't be able to use the phone part. Just WiFi & apps, so it's basically a super expensive iPod Touch for now until an unlock solution comes out.
    2010-03-08 09:07 PM
    Not true since it's a 3G. If you just want to access your springboard, use redsn0w 0.9.2 and it will hacktivate your phone and allow you access to the springboard. But if you don't have an official carrier's sim, then you won't be able to use the phone part. Just WiFi & apps, so it's basically a super expensive iPod Touch for now until an unlock solution comes out.
    I have tried using redsn0w 0.9.2 but it freezes at the "waiting to reboot" stage. any way around this? (unless this part takes a long time)
    2010-03-08 11:28 PM
    Just to make sure. When redsn0w tells you to identify your firmware, you are selecting 3.1.2 right? Only thing I can suggest is keep trying. When I was trying to use redsn0w to get the tethering hack on my phone (I had a custom 3.1.3 at the time) it hung a lot. So I went back to 3.1.2, and it worked right away. You could always downgrade to 3.1.2, then use redsn0w to get out of recovery mode and onto your springboard. Since you aren't going to be able to use the phone part anyways, the no service issue that causes shouldn't matter to you for now.
    2010-03-09 12:58 AM
    Just to make sure. When redsn0w tells you to identify your firmware, you are selecting 3.1.2 right? Only thing I can suggest is keep trying. When I was trying to use redsn0w to get the tethering hack on my phone (I had a custom 3.1.3 at the time) it hung a lot. So I went back to 3.1.2, and it worked right away. You could always downgrade to 3.1.2, then use redsn0w to get out of recovery mode and onto your springboard. Since you aren't going to be able to use the phone part anyways, the no service issue that causes shouldn't matter to you for now.
    Yes, I am using 3.1.2. I will keep trying, but this is like my 15th time trying it.
    And what you mean by downgrading to 3.1.2? I thought I wasn't able to do that?

Thank you very much for the help
    2010-03-09 01:08 AM
    Meleficent,

You have a VERY slim chance of still getting your 3G unlocked again. All of the 3G iphones sold during the first couple of weeks during the original 3G launch have the 05.08 bootloader than will allow you to use Fuzzyband to downgrade the baseband back to 04.26.08 - which will allow you to use Ultrasn0w to unlock the phone again (after you jailbreak it of course).

To find out if your phone is one of these lucky few, check the serial # - which can be found on the bottom of the box (if it's the original box) or imprinted on the SIM tray itself (it's also available thru the settings menu but it sounds like you can't get to the Springboard right now).

If you serial # is xx827xxxxxxx or xx828xxxxxxxxx then you're in luck. If it's xx829xxxxxxxxx or even xx830xxxxxxx, you have a 50/50 chance at best of having the 05.08 bootloader.

If you find out that you do have one of these magical 3g iPhones, let me know and I'll show you how to downgrade the baseband to unlock again. Good luck.
    2010-03-09 07:48 AM
    Yes, I am using 3.1.2. I will keep trying, but this is like my 15th time trying it.
    And what you mean by downgrading to 3.1.2? I thought I wasn't able to do that?

Thank you very much for the help
    The 3G[S] & third gen iPod Touch are the only ones that can't be downgraded without special files. 3G iPhones will accept any firmware, it's just that when going from a higher version with an updated baseband (such as 3.1.3) to a lower version that had a different baseband (such as 3.1.2) iTunes will throw 1015 errors. All that means is the old firmware and new baseband don't like each other, and you have to make them play nice in order to get your phone to boot. In your case, since you aren't going to have phone service either way, you can just use redsn0w 0.9.2 to make them get along so your phone can boot.
    2010-03-09 12:19 PM