i have a 3.0.1 32gig 3gs with tethering and has never been jailbroken. last night it went dead on me while playing music and it will not charge or be recognized by the computer without being in DFU mode.. i cant seem to install anything but 3.1.3 in DFU mode through itunes, if i do that i essentially hose my phone for jailbreaking and tethering, cant install anything without a network connection to apple.

I tried jailbreaking with these instructions
    iphonehacks.com/2009/10/how-to-jailbreak-iphone-3gs-running-iphone-os-312-using-pwnagetool.html

that didn't work. when pwnage needed the iphone in DFU mode the jailbreak app couldn't find the phone even though itunes could see it.

is my only option to restore with 3.1.3 and lose jailbreaking and tethering?
    2010-03-15 01:42 AM
    Does iTunes even see the phone when you plug it in?

You may have issues beyond software problems, could be an actual hardware issue.
    2010-03-15 02:11 AM
    itunes does see it when i put the phone into DFU mode. it will only give me the option to restore. when i tried to restore 3.0.1 (i had saved that file) it would not allow it after checking the apple server.

when i tried clicking the restore button, it connected me to the 3.1.3 firmware and it seemed like it would work (i have not done it yet)

is there any way to restore a lower firmware than 3.1.3 anymore?

am i completely screwed if i do install the 3.1.3? all i care about is tethering i dont want or need to jailbreak. i really am out of options, i dont have a working phone and if i send it back i will get a new phone with all updated everything i assume.
    2010-03-15 02:19 AM
    If it was never jailbroken then I'm guessing you didn't have you shsh's stored on cydia. That would have allowed you to restore to your current firmware. I wouldn't restore to 3.1.3 until you have explored all your options. Maybe some of the more knowledgable members have an idea....
    2010-03-15 02:24 AM
    thanks,

will an earlier version of itunes help at all?
    2010-03-15 02:48 AM
    no an earlier version will not help

at least I don't think it will
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-03-15 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-03-15 06:09 AM
    FIXED IT!!

i fixed it.

I hit the restore button in itunes it downloaded the new update (3.1.1) and just as it was erasing and resetting the phone, the screen lit up white and i pulled the plug. I immediately did a hard reset (both buttons held till it restarted).

the phone came right back on and was fully charged after it was saying it was dead all day..

sketchy.. yes, but i had nothing to lose.
    2010-03-15 08:41 AM
    Youre lucky you didn't brick the poor thing. So you didn't get updated?
    2010-03-15 04:57 PM
    sketchy.. yes, but i had nothing to lose.
    Yeah, a $700 phone is nothing at all.
    2010-03-15 05:32 PM
    it was broken to begin with. its still under warantee and i really dont care if i have an iphone if it has 3.1.3 on it. that is not the phone that i bought and would demand my money back if that is all that apple would give me.

its absolutely crazy that a company can own the software, dictate what you do with the hardware and dictate what firmware you can put on it and yet sell the 700$ device to you. even when my contract is up with att i still cant take MY phone to whatever carrier i want.

this behavior is borderline criminal. if i bought a car and took it in for service and the stereo system was swapped out for an am radio and was told it was an upgrade how many people would stand for that?

edit
    i was never a fan of jailbreaking before this but i think now is the time... what is the best way to do this now? i have never followed it and it looks like there are half a dozen ways to do it now... i am on a mac, 3gs 32 gb, 3.0.1 software.

i read yesterday that the firmware can be saved somewhere so if this happened again i can fix it i would really like to do this

at the end of my contract how would i unlock my phone so i could use it on another carrier? isnt it my phone at that point?
    Last edited by tmophoto; 2010-03-15 at 06:33 PM.
    2010-03-15 06:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.