User Tag List

My friend recently upgraded to the iPhone 3GS and because she didn't need her old iPhone 3G she gave it to me. This is my first Apple product and it hasn't been love at first sight. I've browsed a lot of forums/sites looking for answers on how to do what I'm looking to do with the iPhone, but can find no answers. I hope somebody will either be able to help me in the right direction. Thanks.

I would simply like to use the iPhone as an iPod, more or less. I already have cell service and I don't want to change my phone or my plan. I do not have the internet on my phone and because I'd never use it, I don't want it. I don't want to pay extra for it. I'm not looking for free internet, I'm just not looking for internet on my phone.

The iPhone 3G has firmware 3.1.3 loaded on it. My friend had already done the update and from what I've read this isn't helping me. I don't know much more about the info because I can't access the phone.

It has no sim card and again, I'm not seeking to "activate" it. When I turn it on it has a message dead center instructing me to put in a sim card with the little iTunes logo above that. It has the option for me to make an emergency call on the bottom. Top dead center there is a lock logo in the locked position.

I can set the phone up to restore, where it has the USB logo leading to the iTunes logo and it will talk to iTunes to restore but after I do that iTunes give me errors about the phone having no sim.

I guess I am looking to jailbreak the phone, but again, without a sim card. Does this work?

Is there a process I can go through just to gain access to be able to use the phone as an iPod or would I just need to go buy an iPod?

If any other information is needed I'll do my level best to provide it. I thank any of you that can/will help.
    2010-03-15 07:36 AM
    I don't have much experience in this area, but I believe that you could spend ~20 bucks or so and get an AT&T go phone to get a SIM card cheaply so that you could at least restore and jailbreak the phone so that you could use it as an iPod. Maybe someone with more experience in this area could chime in. I'm sure if you search this forum though would will find your answer. Try using google to search the forum instead of the build in search, ie... "<search terms> site:www//"
    2010-03-15 02:57 PM
    Jailbreak it with redsn0w 0.9.x That will hacktivate the phone and give you access to the iPod, Apps, & WiFi

iPhone Jailbreak Guides | iPhone Tutorials | Blog Archive How to Jailbreak 3.1.3 iPhone 3G & iPod Touch 1G/2G Windows & OS X
    2010-03-15 03:40 PM
    L00i3, thank you so much. I followed your advice/link and right now it appears as though it is working like a champ. I will make one more post once it's 100% complete.
    2010-03-15 08:07 PM
    yeah, use redsnow 0.9.4.
    2010-03-15 08:13 PM
    It has worked. Thank you again so much.
    2010-03-15 08:14 PM
    Good stuff! Glad you got it going. I wish I could luck into a free 3G, even if I did have to use it as a thick iPod touch.
    2010-03-15 08:27 PM
    yeah, use redsnow 0.9.4.
    redsn0w 0.9.4 is actually made specifically for ipt2g old bootrom. 0.9.2 or 0.9.3 should be used for the other devices.
    2010-03-16 07:57 PM
    ^not the case. I jailbroke a 1g iPod touch 3.1.3 with 0.9.4.
    2010-03-16 08:16 PM
    ^not the case. I jailbroke a 1g iPod touch 3.1.3 with 0.9.4.
    Actually, it is the case. It doesn't mean that 0.9.4 can't work for other devices, but there's been cases where 0.9.4 didn't work for them.

You can read about it on the redsn0w post on the dev team's blog and on their page on redsn0w.
    2010-03-16 08:30 PM
    But it can't hurt to try the newest first. You are probably right, I just hadn't heard of any trouble with it.
    2010-03-16 08:34 PM
    But it can't hurt to try the newest first. You are probably right, I just hadn't heard of any trouble with it.
    Well, worst case scenario it'd require a restore. I don't think it'd come to that, but personally, I'd just be safe and use whichever version the dev team wanted me to use.
    2010-03-16 08:43 PM
    I just jailbroke/unlocked my "new" 2G with redsn0w 0.9.4 just fine. Like 5 minutes ago.
    2010-03-16 08:44 PM