I am sure this is a novice question and there is probably an answer that can easily be found but I have been looking for an hour or so and haven't yet found it.

I have an iPhone 3GS that was jailbroken. It was done last year by someone else because of a lack of time on my part to figure out how to do it. Currently the version says its 3.0 (7A341). My problem is now I want to download an app from the Apple App store that requires 3.1. I am not going to see this guy for a couple weeks and honestly I wanted to figure it out on my own.

My first question is if I plug this into iTunes and let it update would that just get rid of all the jailbreaking?

I would rather not do that but upgrade the jailbreak to a version that will allow me to install the 3.1 apps. Is there a tutorial on how to do that from an already jailbroken phone?

Thanks!!
    2010-03-17 09:43 PM
    DO NOT UPDATE TO 3.1.3....if u have access to a mac then use pwnagetool to create a custom 3.1.2 firmware and update to that...it will be jailbroken already
    2010-03-17 09:49 PM
    I don't have access to a MAC, although I have considered getting one.
    2010-03-17 09:59 PM
    sn0wbreeze does the same thing for windows but i have seen mixed reviews about it...not all bad but some folks have had trouble with it...
    2010-03-17 10:07 PM
    i do have an extra 3GS that I can experiment with, its not active on AT&T anymore. Are the instructions for sn0breeze the same for upgrading an already jailbroken iphone? Is that the one where you have to connect it to your computer each time you reset it?
    2010-03-17 10:19 PM
    i do have an extra 3GS that I can experiment with, its not active on AT&T anymore. Are the instructions for sn0breeze the same for upgrading an already jailbroken iphone? Is that the one where you have to connect it to your computer each time you reset it?
    The thing about having to connect every time you reset it, tethered boot, is for phones that have the new bootrom. Since your phone has 3.0 on it, it has the old bootrom meaning you don't now, and never will, need to connect to a computer to boot no matter which tool you use to jailbreak.

The old bootrom is also the reason your phone can use custom firmwares. As j3st3r3 said, it's best if you can get access to a mac as pwnagetool is the best tool when making custom firmwares.
    2010-03-17 10:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD