There has not been in instance of anything being bricked since the days of command line jailbreaks. It's 100% safe hands down. Again.. an ipa by definition is piracy and illegal while jailbreaking by definition is nothing more than allowing user controlled read/write access to a device.
    Theft is not purely defined by the amount of loss. You changed on your own 1 line of program code or 100 is still considered as alteration without Apple's approval.

You might not brick your device but those who Jb thier devices still have to bear other risk and inconvenice like tethered reboot

Firmwares for the iPhone are free...hence you are not cracking an app that is made to make money by circumventing code. But you are entitled to your opinion. Cracking ipas cost devs money.
    I dont think firmwares is free. You bought the phone and firmware together as a package. But firmware upgrade is free. Firmware also need coding & testing and therefore devs money
    Last edited by fanwater; 2010-03-19 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-03-19 08:13 PM
    fan water just read my comment and pipe down lol

Like A Boss
    2010-03-19 08:18 PM

I dont think firmwares is free. You bought the phone and firmware together as a package. But firmware upgrade is free. Firmware also need coding & testing and therefore devs money
    whos money is it? apples....the work for apple...so...ur point? u sound like a child debating the inevitable...plain and simple NO YOU CANT TALK ABOUT IPA'S HERE...plain and simple regardless of how u feel...buy ur apps sheesh....
    2010-03-19 08:22 PM
    it's really as simple as...this is not your forum...not your rules...the rules clearly say pirated software is not allowed in discussions...if u want to talk about then create and host your own forums elsewhere
    2010-03-19 08:36 PM
    Jailbreaking is not illegal. Pirating software is. I'm not sure how much simpler you can get.

If you bought a Nissan, would you let Nissan force you to install nothing but their parts and tell you where you have to gas? It's the same idea with the iPhone. The phone is yours. Once you pay for it is yours. I'll say it again. Once you pay for it, it is yours. If you pirate apps....you don't pay for it.

As for Cycorder, it's a third party app which in no way steals from Apple. That's like saying buying parts for your car which were not made in a Nissan factory is stealing from Nissan.

It's all about choice. Yes there are other video apps in the appstore. If you like, buy it. If you want a free one that works just as well, Cycorder is it. This is not theft. Cycorder is free and is intended to be free. Devs want money for their work. If we don't pay them it's theft.

I think it was mentioned before but the majority of us here don't jailbreak to get free apps. Most of us, especially those that have been around long enough do it, to either use it on another carrier or to gain the functionality that didn't or doesn't exist.

it's really as simple as...this is not your forum...not your rules...the rules clearly say pirated software is not allowed in discussions...if u want to talk about then create and host your own forums elsewhere
    You have been thanked.

A breakable firmware doesn't mean anyone can just exploit the loophole and break it. If you forget to lock the main door by mistake, it doen't mean anyone can just enter your house grabbing anything and run away. Right?
    Apples and oranges. If someone left the main door unlocked by mistake and I walked in and took something I can certainly do that if I owned the house. I don't think you're making that leap in logic. We own our devices.

If jailbreaking does nothing, why would anyone want to bare the risk of bricking their devices?
    Jailbreaking does do something. It give us access to our phones that we own. I've been jailbreaking since day one and have yet to brick a phone.

Firmware is also a piece of software like any other games. Jailbreaking your iphone's firmware is thus a way of altering the sequence of execution of program codes the way it was orginally intended. It is exactly the same act as cracking apps/game
    It is not exactly like cracking a game or app. It's more like making a copy of a DVD or CD for your personal use. It's within legal rights as long as you don't distribute it. The dev team or any other dev does not distribute firmwares.

If that were the case, any CD/DVD ripping software could be deemed illegal because you're bypassing any protection.
    Last edited by soulthoughts; 2010-03-19 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-03-19 08:55 PM
    whos money is it? apples....the work for apple...so...ur point? u sound like a child debating the inevitable...plain and simple NO YOU CANT TALK ABOUT IPA'S HERE...plain and simple regardless of how u feel...buy ur apps sheesh....
    My point was clear: cracking Apple software (JB) is same act as cracking a game/tool app. Both are also codes that run on iphone platform.

I've from the begining never mentioned any specific game/apps ipt. How much is your apps. What so big deal if I can afford a 3gs with ease. But it is never my point for discussion here. Do not assume it that only you buy apps. What I want here to gather the right know-how.

Even if I own a designer clothing but if I alter the design and wear it, I might end up being sued. You own the device but not the firmware design. Another good example is Windows OS. Read the EULA and you might have a lot of "cannot" despite the fact you bought it.
    Last edited by fanwater; 2010-03-19 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-03-19 09:23 PM
    All you own is a very sleek looking and expensive paperweight. I don't like it, I think it sucks and apple is greedy and the rules regarding drm and such are stupid. So, I made the decision to jailbreak or crack my paperweight. So I can make APPLES content more useful and add my own. If i return my paperweight to apple they cannot keep it they have to give it back to me it is mine. However it will be returned un jailbroken with original appl firmware and apps, because IT is theirs. Like it or not.
    2010-03-19 10:38 PM
    Wow this is something else. How about AT&T ? You jailbreak and unlock so you can use tmobile. Here in the states iPhone is only for AT&T. Now AT&T is also getting hurt. iPhone on another isent that stealing from AT&T service. Don't get me wrong iam all for j/b but I do in my opinion think we all are doing something wrong. Yes my Nissan does get aftermarket parts but it dosent void my warrenty. And poor AT&T
    2010-03-19 10:50 PM
    I'm just sorry this guy/kid can't afford 99c apps. Maybe you should let us know your paypal so we can all donate to you. Or you can go get a job in KFC
    2010-03-19 11:48 PM
    ^ kfc's not an option. They require at least a 3 digit I.Q
    2010-03-20 12:12 AM
    Look at the bag of worms I opened up upon closing his thread talking about something that was against our rules of the board. As mentioned in another post:

regardless of what you say here, it will not change anything

MMI cannot allow IPA discussion etc for legal reasons, if they did condone it, they would be under pressure from not only there hosting services, but local copy right investigators.

They have already been investigated due to the name (used to be modmyifone) and names before that too
    ..talking about cracked apps etc would cause this site to be closed and probable a law suit
    Spot on sir; spot on indeed. A lot of people missed the many name changes this place went through because of Apple's pursuit.

Also mentioned in a post none of the devs distribute the firmware. Most sites links the firmware to be grabbed directly from Apple.
    Last edited by Cer0; 2010-03-20 at 12:32 AM.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    2010-03-20 12:29 AM
    I'd rather be at IFC than the walmart greater. You ar the walmart greater right. Butrealy when in any post did I say anything about the ipa's and not buying them? Guess reading dident go well for you in school. My thoughts are we are all taking something in some way with jailbreaking. Mostly thoes who need an unlock cause it to expensive. Well don't get a iPhone then but now to name calling. Who are the children now? WOW

I like this fourm but most of you are in denile and I always thank thoes who help me
    2010-03-20 12:32 AM
    Everyone agrees to the same rules when signing up. If you feel offended or assualted by something someone says or being called a name please let us know; those items are also against the rules and will be looked into.
    2010-03-20 12:56 AM
    No man it's ok,I guess this topic has had me a little steamed under the collar. If I have offended any one I sure am sorry.

Just a note I don't crack ipa thing it just burns me up when people say jailbreaking dosent hert but I feel some one gets hurt some where alone the line but remember it's my opinion
    2010-03-20 01:03 AM
    Cracked apps is a hot topic here and there is generally a dispute to follow when mention of it not being allowed on the forums. Apple has greatly benefited from the jailbreaking community. They saw how great the apps where and opened a store. Each feature that comes along had some roots in jailbreaking community. Unlocking it showed Apple how fast it could sell and made it availible in all countries.
    2010-03-20 01:09 AM
    Again.. an ipa by definition is piracy and illegal
    Oh really??? Why don't you take another look in the Mobile Applications folder in your iTunes directory (where apps from the app store are downloaded to and synced to/from), and then say an .ipa by definition is piracy.

Granted though, when .ipa is mentioned, 95% of the time it is in relation to cracked stuff, but still, .ipa is NOT by definition piracy. .ipa by definition is an application designed to run on the iPhone OS. I don't know what it really stands for (if anything) but I think of it as I Phone/Pod Application. Just like .ipsw in my eyes is I Phone/Pod SoftWare.

Firmwares for the iPhone are free...
    Are they? I honestly don't know. My first iPhone was a 3G[S], so it came with 3.0.1 OTB, and my second (third?) hand 2G came with 3.1.2 on it, so I have no experience on the iPhone side. But my 2G iPod Touch came with 2.x.x on it, and the upgrade to 3.x.x cost me $5 by the time I got around to upgrading it. Originally it was $10. So technically, if that upgrade pricing holds true for the phones as well, hosting the firmwares on this site is potentially "pirating" since folks can get it from here for free, and go around paying apple for it. Damn technicalities.

Funny, I found this in the downloads section for iPod Touch 1G 2.2.1 firmware
    This link might work until Apple shuts down whomever is hosting it
    I left the link out though.

Honestly, I don't give a damn one way or the other what people decide to do with their phones. If they want to download apps for free, that is none of my business. But I understand the owner of this site's point of view, and respect his decision on the matter. Hence my suggestion to people that are looking for support for that to go elsewhere, whether it be for all jailbreaking support, or just for the stuff not allowed here.
    2010-03-20 07:17 AM
    OMG
    2010-03-20 08:00 AM
    ^^^^
    now that's funny
    2010-03-20 08:17 AM
    Are they? I honestly don't know. My first iPhone was a 3G[S], so it came with 3.0.1 OTB, and my second (third?) hand 2G came with 3.1.2 on it, so I have no experience on the iPhone side. But my 2G iPod Touch came with 2.x.x on it, and the upgrade to 3.x.x cost me $5 by the time I got around to upgrading it. Originally it was $10. So technically, if that upgrade pricing holds true for the phones as well, hosting the firmwares on this site is potentially "pirating" since folks can get it from here for free, and go around paying apple for it. Damn technicalities.
    iPod Touches have to pay for major firmware upgrades (1.X->2.X->3.X). iPhones do not. Most respectable sites do not distribute or help distribute the iPod firmwares as, yes, that could be considered piracy (I for one don't). Some do since it could be argued... and I believe they're pulled from apple? (?)
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2010-03-20 05:18 PM
    I'd rather be at IFC than the walmart greater. You ar the walmart greater right. Butrealy when in any post did I say anything about the ipa's and not buying them? Guess reading dident go well for you in school. My thoughts are we are all taking something in some way with jailbreaking. Mostly thoes who need an unlock cause it to expensive. Well don't get a iPhone then but now to name calling. Who are the children now? WOW

I like this fourm but most of you are in denile and I always thank thoes who help me
    I was gonna make the joke that you can't even spell KFC. But you can't. So it's not much of a joke.
    To live, you have to lie
    2010-03-21 09:05 PM
47 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD