This forum act like playing a very clean game by putting a ban on topics discussing ipa. However, topics on jailbreaking is here and there and everywhere in this forum. Isnt jailbreaking software itself is trying to crack apple's firmware or bootrom code in the first place. So why not put a ban on jailbreaking iphone as well?
    2010-03-19 02:34 PM
    ok, when u jailbreak , ur jailbreaking your device and that does damage to you and only you...now ipa's are developers work that they charge you for...u stealing that is not cool...there for talking about that is not allowed.
    2010-03-19 03:55 PM
    It is not illegal to jailbreak is it? How about unlocking? Service providers unlock phones too so...
    2010-03-19 03:59 PM
    OR. Here's a great one here.

Piracy is illegal.
    Jailbreaking is not.

Piracy is punishable by law
    Jailbreaking is not.

Piracy is morally wrong
    Jailbreaking is (arguably) not.

Aw shoot CaptainChaos, you beat me :P
    Last edited by angiepangie; 2010-03-19 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2010-03-19 04:00 PM
    ok, when u jailbreak , ur jailbreaking your device and that does damage to you and only you...now ipa's are developers work that they charge you for...u stealing that is not cool...there for talking about that is not allowed.
    Its not what you think so simple. A jailbroken phone took away sales of software from Apple stores. As such, when you jailbreak you are as well stealing $ away from Apple which could have been part of Apple's revenue. Right?

In fact jailbreak provide a "platform" for doing such stealing act already. So no point having this forum banned on talking ipa.
    2010-03-19 04:14 PM
    I haven't stolen any money from Apple. That's a pretty bold statement. All of my apps are paid for.

Ok it's like this: Car manufacturers put a gas pedal in your car so are they responsible for when you get caught for speeding?

On second thought...Apple gave me the firmware that is jailbreakable so it is really their fault.
    Last edited by CaptainChaos; 2010-03-19 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-03-19 04:33 PM
    You could argue that the ability to jailbreak may well have persuaded thousands of people to go for the iPhone, therefore actually increasing their revenue.
    2010-03-19 04:41 PM
    Its not what you think so simple. A jailbroken phone took away sales of software from Apple stores. As such, when you jailbreak you are as well stealing $ away from Apple which could have been part of Apple's revenue. Right?

In fact jailbreak provide a "platform" for doing such stealing act already. So no point having this forum banned on talking ipa.
    When have I took away sales from Apple? I paid for all my apps. I paid for my iPhone. I paid for everything that I got from apple...
    A jailbroken phone doesn't steal anything from anyone. It's legal according to the DMCA.
    Blatantly stealing with the use of pirated software is illegal. You are stealing from someone.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2010-03-19 05:14 PM
    What about apps from cydia like cycorder? It ia a free app but you can only get it with j/b. Now that is one app that is not bought from iTunes. Dosent that hurt the people that make legal video recording apps if you jailbreak and use apps that clone itune apps? To me sounds like the same
    2010-03-19 05:47 PM
    Cycorder was out before any of the video recorder apps in the Appstore. A lot of the features in your phone come from the jailbreak community. We did it first and apple added them to later firmwares. Who is stealing now? Big daddy Jobs!
    2010-03-19 05:51 PM
    Fan, your argument is a losing battle on this turf. It is a very unpopular opinion because it is not convenient. People will rationalize why they are right all day long. I mean silly quotes like "On second thought...Apple gave me the firmware that is jailbreakable so it is really their fault." seriously now. Again rationalizing. Then a pirate can say well developers make apps that are crackable so it's their fault. Dumb. Reminds me of another quote I saw on this argument "of course we've seen a pirated movie but software is alot differnt then a movie". Really? Too funny.
    I live in a gated community, they have some silly rules but I knew that when Moved in. I had a garage sell last weekend, I had to get a permit for it and of course in a gated community only people in the community can come by. However someone figured out the gate code. So other people are coming in now, at first I'm cool with it, more traffic more of my crap gets sold (and belive me it is crap) but then I noticed A few things missing, people were stealing! To make matters worse people started selling their own stuff! They set up their own store! Well the property manager finally changed the code but I have a feeling it won't last. To each their own I say but the thing that bugged me the most wasn't the stealing or even the tresspassing. It was this lady who set up a booth to sell her handbags, which were just gucci knockoffs, she just changed the colors. But what really bugged me was she had the gall to complain that other people we're reselling her bags and a few got stolen. For a while it was like a community inside of a community and the new community set up their own rules. Were also not allowed to rent rooms out, some still do of course, make a little $ on the side, it's not really illegal. But some of these renters have been stealing from the very people that they are renting from. That is illegal but there wasn't much these homeowners/landlords could do about it so they banned them. The irony.
    2010-03-19 06:28 PM
    I /was that old lady/ selling the handbags. They weren't knockoffs, they were real gucci bags that my grandson stole. You should have bought some, sucka !!!
    2010-03-19 06:34 PM
    Fan, your argument is a losing battle on this turf. It is a very unpopular opinion because it is not convenient. People will rationalize why they are right all day long. I mean silly quotes like "On second thought...Apple gave me the firmware that is jailbreakable so it is really their fault." seriously now. Again rationalizing. Then a pirate can say well developers make apps that are crackable so it's their fault. Dumb. Reminds me of another quote I saw on this argument "of course we've seen a pirated movie but software is alot differnt then a movie". Really? Too funny.
    I live in a gated community, they have some silly rules but I knew that when Moved in. I had a garage sell last weekend, I had to get a permit for it and of course in a gated community only people in the community can come by. However someone figured out the gate code. So other people are coming in now, at first I'm cool with it, more traffic more of my crap gets sold (and belive me it is crap) but then I noticed A few things missing, people were stealing! To make matters worse people started selling their own stuff! They set up their own store! Well the property manager finally changed the code but I have a feeling it won't last. To each their own I say but the thing that bugged me the most wasn't the stealing or even the tresspassing. It was this lady who set up a booth to sell her handbags, which were just gucci knockoffs, she just changed the colors. But what really bugged me was she had the gall to complain that other people we're reselling her bags and a few got stolen. For a while it was like a community inside of a community and the new community set up their own rules. Were also not allowed to rent rooms out, some still do of course, make a little $ on the side, it's not really illegal. But some of these renters have been stealing from the very people that they are renting from. That is illegal but there wasn't much these homeowners/landlords could do about it so they banned them. The irony.
    It was sarcasm. It aggravates me that people want to assume that everyone who is jailbroken is a thief. I jailbreak for greater functionality in a device that is bound and gagged by Apple. I have no stolen software on my phone and never will. I buy Appstore apps and I buy Cydia Store apps.
    2010-03-19 06:50 PM
    Well if there is nothing wrong with j/b why do you restore before you go to the apple store? Or is it breaking something
    2010-03-19 07:33 PM
    Jailbreaking is against the rules. apple's rules, but still against the rules.

piracy is against the rules too. government's rules, but still against the rules.

No difference except one can get you a fine and/or jail time, and the other can get you no service at the apple store, even if the phone has a hardware issue totally unrelated to the jailbreak. Either way, both are "wrong" and to say one is wronger than the other is kinda dumb. It was said earlier, if jailbroken phones didn't exist, then there would be no means of installing cracked apps. Easiest thing for everybody with cracked apps, is to seek jailbreak/general phone help here, and help with the cracked stuff elsewhere. Or just go elsewhere for both. There are plenty of forums that have no problem with it.
    2010-03-19 08:07 PM
    Are you kidding me?! Jailbreaking does nothing except potentially void the warranty if you walk into a store and they flag your acct. Last time I checked voiding a warranty wasn't against the law. The fact that the OP is so narrow minded that he equates jailbreak to piracy is just plain stupid. If you remember the first iPhone was jailbroken way before there was even an App Store in existence! People originally jailbreak for increased functionality. you want the real reasons to jailbreak?! READ!

http://thebigboss.org/why-jailbreak-iphone/
    2010-03-19 08:17 PM
    A breakable firmware doesn't mean anyone can just exploit the loophole and break it. If you forget to lock the main door by mistake, it doen't mean anyone can just enter your house grabbing anything and run away. Right?

Personally I am not against jailbreaking. In fact, I'm using a JB 3gs. But if you say ipt is cracked app discussion and jailbreaking is not, then I think it is only barely justifiable

Are you kidding me?! Jailbreaking does nothing except potentially void the warranty if you walk into a store and they flag your acct. Last time I checked voiding a warranty wasn't against the law. The fact that the OP is so narrow minded that he equates jailbreak to piracy is just plain stupid. If you remember the first iPhone was jailbroken way before there was even an App Store in existence! People originally jailbreak for increased functionality. you want the real reasons to jailbreak?! READ!

Jailbreak iPhone | iPhone News, Help and Guides

If jailbreaking does nothing, why would anyone want to bare the risk of bricking their devices?

Firmware is also a piece of software like any other games. Jailbreaking your iphone's firmware is thus a way of altering the sequence of execution of program codes the way it was orginally intended. It is exactly the same act as cracking apps/game
    Last edited by fanwater; 2010-03-19 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-03-19 08:53 PM
    There has not been in instance of anything being bricked since the days of command line jailbreaks. It's 100% safe hands down. Again.. an ipa by definition is piracy and illegal while jailbreaking by definition is nothing more than allowing user controlled read/write access to a device.
    2010-03-19 08:57 PM
    regardless of what you say here, it will not change anything

MMI cannot allow IPA discussion etc for legal reasons, if they did condone it, they would be under pressure from not only there hosting services, but local copy right investigators.

They have already been investigated due to the name (used to be modmyifone) and names before that too
    ..talking about cracked apps etc would cause this site to be closed and probable a law suit

Like A Boss
    2010-03-19 09:00 PM
    Firmwares for the iPhone are free...hence you are not cracking an app that is made to make money by circumventing code. But you are entitled to your opinion. Cracking ipas cost devs money.
    2010-03-19 09:01 PM
47 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.