I have 3 questions..... I dont know if you want me to ask them in three different threads... I'll put them here.. Mods, please let me know if you want me to move them. I hope all three questions get answered.

1. I saved my SHSH with Cydia but obviously it is for 3.1.3 and not 3.1.2. What does this mean in terms of advantages/disadvantages? I understand that I will never be able to downgrade to 3.1.2, if, I ever have to restore and upgrade to 3.1.3(shuddersssss)........but how will this help me or harm me?

2. I read a detailed blog as to why redsn0w is better than blackra1n to jailbreak 3gs 3.1.2... If I already have jailbroken my phone using blackra1n..... Can I re-jailbreak using redsn0w now??? I will obviously lose all the apps and tweaks I have installed but i have backed them up using Pkgbackup.... Is Pkgbackup effective enough in restoring all my old apps? How do i restore once I rejailbreak(if at all I do).....

3. My springboard is crashing everytime I respring.. It tells me that there is a possible conflict with the rock extensions and it asks me to disable the rock extensions. Although, it doesnt tell me which App has the conflict. I did not install Rock because the last time, the Rock app was the reason, I had to restore my iphone (in the process upgrade to 3.1.3)..... And I also remember reading somewhere that Rock and Cydia shudnt be installed together??? I dont even know how Rock got installed coz I never installed it myself. I guess one of the apps that I installed thru Cydia, automatically installed Rock as well??
    Anyway, I didnt know how to disable the rock extensions so I deleted the rock.app folder directly using ifile. I dont want to use Rock app. But even after deleting the folder, the error still pops up randomly when I respring the device. How do I solve this??? [ I know this question doesnt belong here... I will move it to a relavant thread if I am required to... Please let me know. I just thought it is convenient to get all the answers from a single thread ]

I really hope you guys answer these questions of mine..........

Thanks in advance...
    2010-03-19 08:03 PM
    Have you tried to submit bug and restart instead of disabling rock extentions?
    2010-03-19 08:37 PM
    1. Having the files stored obviously won't harm you. They don't do you much good now either though, but once a jailbreak for 3.1.3 or later is out, you'll have a permanent way of jailbreaking.

2. You can't rejailbreak. If you really wanted to use another tool, you'd need to restore to a clean 3.1.2 first, and then jailbreak with it. Since you don't have your 3.1.2 SHSH files stored, you can't restore to 3.1.2. There's an exception to this if your phone has the old bootrom. In that case you could make a custom 3.1.2 firmware and restore to that. This is possible because CFWs skip the signing process.

3. I don't know for sure if it causes problems, but I'd say never to just delete apps using iFile (or any other browser). You should stick to uninstalling them from where you installed them (Cydia or Rock). Even if you've uninstalled the Rock App, Rock Extensions might still be installed and as far as I know, Rock Extensions is what can cause problems with Mobile Substrate. "MyWi (no rock)", for example, can be installed through Cydia where it also install Rock Extensions.
    2010-03-19 08:46 PM
    I think this forum is appropriate. I'll try to answer what I can.

1. I saved my SHSH with Cydia but obviously it is for 3.1.3 and not 3.1.2. What does this mean in terms of advantages/disadvantages? I understand that I will never be able to downgrade to 3.1.2, if, I ever have to restore and upgrade to 3.1.3(shuddersssss)........but how will this help me or harm me?
    I don't think there's any disadvantage to it at all. At worse, if at any point we're able to downgrade to 3.13 after going to a higher firmware or if we are able to jailbreak 3.13 having your SHSH on file could only help since Apple isn't signing builds anymore.

2. I read a detailed blog as to why redsn0w is better than blackra1n to jailbreak 3gs 3.1.2... If I already have jailbroken my phone using blackra1n..... Can I re-jailbreak using redsn0w now??? I will obviously lose all the apps and tweaks I have installed but i have backed them up using Pkgbackup.... Is Pkgbackup effective enough in restoring all my old apps? How do i restore once I rejailbreak(if at all I do).....
    Not sure on the on the rejailbreak part here. Personally I didn't have any luck with pkgbackup the one time I used it. I used aptbackup twice and it worked well.

3. My springboard is crashing everytime I respring.. It tells me that there is a possible conflict with the rock extensions and it asks me to disable the rock extensions. Although, it doesnt tell me which App has the conflict. I did not install Rock because the last time, the Rock app was the reason, I had to restore my iphone (in the process upgrade to 3.1.3)..... And I also remember reading somewhere that Rock and Cydia shudnt be installed together??? I dont even know how Rock got installed coz I never installed it myself. I guess one of the apps that I installed thru Cydia, automatically installed Rock as well??
    Anyway, I didnt know how to disable the rock extensions so I deleted the rock.app folder directly using ifile. I dont want to use Rock app. But even after deleting the folder, the error still pops up randomly when I respring the device. How do I solve this??? [ I know this question doesnt belong here... I will move it to a relavant thread if I am required to... Please let me know. I just thought it is convenient to get all the answers from a single thread ]

I really hope you guys answer these questions of mine..........

Thanks in advance...
    I don't much about Rock since I don't have any of their stuff installed. Maybe someone else can chime in on this part.
    2010-03-19 09:38 PM
    let me try...

I have restored with custom firmware prejailbroken 3.1.3 straight from 3.0 and it worked perfectly on my 3gs. cydia was installed after reboot. since you have 3.1.3 shsh's on file, I recommend getting a good 3.1.3 prejailbroken custom firmware for future use and possibly now. that way regardless of what happens, you can always go back to it.

pkgbackup has worked well for me. It may not be 100% effective, but it is close enough. it puts most of what I had back and the little that it doesn't, won't take much time to manually install. it also does the best it can with your springboard layout. I have used pkgbackup plenty of times with my 3g nicely, and once with my new 3gs. it got most everything back. I think the problem I had was some of the repos were no longer valid.

Anyway, I didnt know how to disable the rock extensions so I deleted the rock.app folder directly using ifile. I dont want to use Rock app. But even after deleting the folder, the error still pops up randomly when I respring the device. How do I solve this???

did you do a hard reboot?(hold power and home til you see the iphone flash off, then power back on)
    this will normally do the trick for me. however, if you can get in safe mode, you can uninstall the last app or two from cydia that you installed and try to isolate the problem child app.
    2010-03-20 12:07 AM
    WOW!!! Thanks a ton for all the replies people! Sorry I couldnt reply earlier coz I was out of town.
    @ Count tracula,
    SO what is the custom bre-jalbroken firmware? I think Sn0wbreeze does that? I am a little skepticle of doing that as of now simply because I am still terrorized by the upgrade that I was forced to do coz my jailbreak got messed up the last time. How did you do it???

I havent received the rock extension error after I uninstalled iSmart Dialer. Looks to me that it was ismart dialer causing the problem...

Anyway, thanks again for all the help. Really appreciate the effort and pain you guys took to answer all my questions. God Bless!!!
    2010-03-21 02:59 PM
    I guess any custom firmware is prejailbroken by definition. thats just how the one I found was labeled. I found it on sinfuliphone's website. downloaded it and restored through itunes 8.2 with it. it worked flawlessly.
    2010-03-22 02:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD