Okay so earlier I was downloading one of the T-Mobile carrier packages off of Cydia, it required me to reset my network settings so I did, and my iPhone restarted. Since it has the new bootrom, I had to plug it in to my computer and use blackra1n to unlock it again.

However, this time, I ran blackra1n and the phone showed Geohot's picture for 5 minutes then restarted back into recovery mode. It wouldn't stop doing that so I tried restoring the firmware 3.1.2 but iTunes doesn't let you restore to any firmware lower than it's current newest, 3.1.3.

Then I tried restoring with a custom firmware of 3.1.2. This time, iTunes popped up with a 1604 error.

Please help, this is starting to be really frustrating. Thanks in advance.
    2010-03-23 04:21 AM
    A lot of people have been getting 1604 error. I believe it's related to USB ports? Not entirely sure, BUT, you can try putting your phone into recovery mode and restoring on another computer. Either that or reinstall your USB ports.

I'd recommend trying it on another computer first.
    2010-03-23 05:39 AM
    is that really the reason? to my knowledge, my usb ports work fine. I'll try it though, thanks!
    I'll keep you posted.
    2010-03-23 06:30 AM
    Well if the Apple site says it lol then it must be?
    2010-03-23 08:24 AM
    Usually when you're in DFU mode it gives error 1604, guaranteed. Try recovery mode. New boot really not sure, since i have old boot.

Not sure what OS are you using to do this restore, mac, vista, win 7? Did you ever use itunes to update ur iphone?
    2010-03-23 08:48 AM
    Place the custom firmware into the iPhone update software folder on ur pc. And shift restore
    2010-03-23 10:24 AM
    I have a stock 3GS on 3.1.3 and I'm well aware there is no jailbreak for me, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to if and when they crack 4.0?
    2010-03-23 11:56 AM
    Nope, when I'm in DFU mode I get a 1600 error. And I get a 1604 error in recovery mode. REAPERDAGREAT13 if I place the custom firmware into the iPhone update software folder it'll work?

I have a Mac, and yes I've restored on iTunes before.
    2010-03-24 12:24 AM
    yeah thats how i do it and it works for me mac and pc
    If My Replys Helped You Out In Any Way
    Dont Forget To Hit The "THANKS" Button
    2010-03-29 08:29 AM
    If he has a tethered boot that means he has the new bootrom, which can not take a custom firmware at all. He can try using irecovery to get out of recovery mode.
    2010-03-30 01:14 AM
    If he has a tethered boot that means he has the new bootrom, which can not take a custom firmware at all. He can try using irecovery to get out of recovery mode.
    +1

Not sure why you're all talking about custom firmwares when the guy can't use them.
    2010-03-30 01:50 AM
    I have similar problem too.

I have a ip3gs firmware 3.1.2 on an old bootroom, jailbroken using blackra1n and SHSH saved on Cydia.

Just today, I am trying the upgrade of 3.1.3 and jailbreak using sn0wbreeze. While restoring to the custom firmware created by sn0wbreeze, iTunes gave me error 1600 (screenshot) and I am not able to turn on the phone. It's like a dummy set. No matter how many times I tried to go to DFU mode (home + power), nothing happen. Weird thing is, when I connect to the computer and open iTunes, it says my phone is in recovery mode (screenshot). Tried downgrading to earlier firmware (3.1.2, 3.0.1) but to no avail too.

Any possible solutions before I attempting to install the official 3.1.3?

Thanks!
    2010-03-30 07:57 AM
    I have similar problem too.

I have a ip3gs firmware 3.1.2 on an old bootroom, jailbroken using blackra1n and SHSH saved on Cydia.

Just today, I am trying the upgrade of 3.1.3 and jailbreak using sn0wbreeze. While restoring to the custom firmware created by sn0wbreeze, iTunes gave me error 1600 (screenshot) and I am not able to turn on the phone. It's like a dummy set. No matter how many times I tried to go to DFU mode (home + power), nothing happen. Weird thing is, when I connect to the computer and open iTunes, it says my phone is in recovery mode (screenshot). Tried downgrading to earlier firmware (3.1.2, 3.0.1) but to no avail too.

Any possible solutions before I attempting to install the official 3.1.3?

Thanks!
    if the shsh's you have on cydia are 3.1.2 and 3.0.1 then you can use this guide to get back to whichever one you want -- http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...ecid-shsh.html
    2010-03-30 10:05 AM
    Hi j3st3r3,

Thanks for replying.
    Yes, I tried getting my .shsh using Umbrella and iREB (same, I guess) but it tells me "Could not get your ECID SHSH for that model/version: sorry.". Tried selecting all iPhone 3GS firmware available from the list (3.1.2 / 3.1.3 / 3.1 / 3.0.1 / 3.0) and Apple/Saurik server.

Does this mean, 3.1.3 is the only option now?
    2010-03-30 10:21 AM
    try using google to find a custom 3.1.2 created with pwnagetool and give restoring to that a try...sn0wbreeze seems to give lots of people problems...if you AT&T then download an unactivated one and if you use unofficial carrier get an activated one..
    2010-03-30 10:35 AM
    My iPhone is an officially unlocked set so I'm not too worried about unlocking.

I'm not using Mac though but I have downloaded a custom firmware said to be created by PwnageTool (I'd assume it doesn't matter which tool is used). Tried restoring using this custom firmware but getting error 1600 again.

If I try restoring by click (not holding Shift) which will be restoring to 3.1.3 and I am able to see the chrome Apple logo. I cancelled the restoration.

By the way, I tried to ping gs.apple.com but getting request timed out. So, I did some research on Google and came across different IP addresses. I guess the correct one is 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com as published in Saurik's website.

C: \>ping gs.apple.com

Pinging gs.apple.com [74.208.105.171] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 74.208.105.171:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C: \>

but wondering why in the ping result, it showed a different IP address..
    Last edited by slomo; 2010-03-30 at 11:19 AM. Reason: adding ping result
    2010-03-30 11:14 AM
    seems like i read somewhere that the 1600 error is usb related...try restarting your computer...also switching usb ports...even unistalling your usb drivers and letting windows reinstall them and trying again...there is no need to change your host file for restoring to a custom ipsw...apple only requires signing on official firmwares not custom...
    2010-03-30 11:40 AM
    Sorry for not listing all the steps that I've done. I did that too and when I plugged into a different USB port, Windows able to detect (Found New Hardware) but it still the same.

I might suspect that something is wrong with my laptop. By the way, I am using my office laptop. I will try again by using my home desktop later tonight.

Thanks for the advice so far.
    2010-03-30 11:45 AM
    Have you made sure you have the old bootrom and that your phone can use custom firmwares?

Your hosts file isn't edited properly, that's why it's not responding from the correct IP address, but that's not what's causing you problems since CFWs skip the signing process.
    2010-03-30 01:24 PM
    Hi dhamien,

Yes, it has an old bootrom (FW3.1.2 / 7D11 / 05.07.11 / iBoot-359.3) and I used blackra1n to jailbreak it previously, if this information is useful

I think my company network is preventing the connection. I am at home now and able to ping the server as well as obtain my .shsh from Saurik's server. Able to restore to the original 3.1.2 firmware now. At least I am seeing the chrome Apple logo now.

I guess it's better not to update to 3.1.3

Thank you, j3st3r3 and dhamien for your suggestions and patience.
    2010-03-30 01:58 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD