Hi everyone... First post after lurking for awhile!

Anyway, I've been enjoying my jailbroken iPhone 3G with a 3.0 OS ever since the initial jailbreak came out for it. Even though there were a couple subsequent apple updates I seen no real reason to go for it only to have to jailbreak again, hence the reason I'm still running 3.0.

However, I'm finding an increasing number of apps I'd like that simply won't run on anything running less than 3.1.2 and as we all know the current iTunes update will take me beyond that to 3.1.3 and in to no-jailbreak land. So I'm unsure what to do so that I can get the best of both worlds here...

So my question is, can I somehow update my firmware to 3.1.2 and then jailbreak that OS (since I get the impression that's the last stable jailbreak-able firmware) and return to happiness and freedom on my iPhone? ...If so, can someone tell me how to pull it off and what applications (i.e. redsnow, blackrain, ect., etc.) are necessary?

MANY thanks, in advance!

-Rob
    2010-03-30 03:21 PM
    You should download the 3.1.2 firmware for your phone and put it on your desktop. Then go into iTunes and go to the phone screen. Hold down the 'shift' key and then click 'restore'. You'll now get the option to choose which ipsw you want to restore to. Point to the file you downloaded.

When it's done, jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9.2

You can download the 3.1.2 ipsw here: iPod and iPhone Firmware Download
    The downloaded file should look like this: iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw

You can download redsn0w from here: redsn0w 0.9.2 [iPhone Dev Team]
    2010-03-30 04:32 PM
    Thanks very much, Dhamien! ...This method seems pretty straight-forward that a relative newbie like me can even handle.

A couple other quick related questions though: I don't really foresee needing to unlock my phone for another carrier, but who knows. That said, will the method you've given me change my baseband and thus prevent future unlocking? There are so many programs out there that claim to do basically the same thing (and I even hear about custom firmware that is available) is redsn0w basically the best way to go?

Lastly, is anyone aware of a simple method to back up my cydia apps in order to quickly get them back on? After a quick search I heard of an app on cydia that claims to do this but I read some posts that claim it can be complicated. ...I'm mostly interested in preserving my copy of MAME4iPhone since apparently a cease-and-desist order has at least temporarily halted distribution of this app. I'd like to keep it somehow.

Thanks again for any and all help!

...Oops. One other quick thing I forgot in the last post: It appears that since I'm running a 3G I should be okay, but if I use Dhamien's method to upgrade and jailbreak 3.1.2 will I be able to reboot/restart the iPhone without a problem or will I need to re-jailbreak or use "tethered" rebooting?

Sorry for all the dim questions... I think I know most of these answers but want to be completely sure by asking everyone before doing this and regretting it somehow! ;-)
    Last edited by bones3010; 2010-03-30 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-03-30 10:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.