User Tag List

Hello all,

I am currently using an iPhone 3G 16 GB with 3.0.1. It is already jailbroken and unlocked! It was originally from Rogers Canada, and i'm currently using it with Bell Canada.

I would like to update it to 3.1.2 and then jail-break & unlock it, because some of the games and apps i want require OS 3.1 and above!
    I read at a few places, but I just want to make sure what exactly I have to do in order to use my phone without any harm!
    Could someone please tell me what has to be done inorder to upgrade to 3.1.2, jailbreak and unlock it...

From what i read, i think i have to download a custom firmware 3.1.2.ipsw. restore the phone to 3.1.2 by iTunes. Then jailbrake and unlock with blkra1n.. Does this make sense?
    Let me know if im wrong!
    Thanks for you help!
    2010-04-04 05:58 AM
    Hello all,

I am currently using an iPhone 3G 16 GB with 3.0.1. It is already jailbroken and unlocked! It was originally from Rogers Canada, and i'm currently using it with Bell Canada.

I would like to update it to 3.1.2 and then jail-break & unlock it, because some of the games and apps i want require OS 3.1 and above!
    I read at a few places, but I just want to make sure what exactly I have to do in order to use my phone without any harm!
    Could someone please tell me what has to be done inorder to upgrade to 3.1.2, jailbreak and unlock it...

From what i read, i think i have to download a custom firmware 3.1.2.ipsw. restore the phone to 3.1.2 by iTunes. Then jailbrake and unlock with blkra1n.. Does this make sense?
    Let me know if im wrong!
    Thanks for you help!
    The custom firmware is used when you want to update the firmware to 3.1.2 but want to keep the the old baseband.
    You can also update your phone to 3.1.2 using iTunes, then use redsnow or blakrain to jailbreak, then run blacksnow to unlock the baseband 5.11.07
    If you chose the second option (update the phone with apple stock firmware 3.1.2), to the top bar, click at download section to download 3G 3.1.2.
    Then run itunes, hold shift key while clicking the restore, then choose the firmware you just save and let the itunes to do the rest.
    After your 3G is done updating the firmware, you can jailbreak and unlock your phone.
    Note: make sure you download correct firmware version for your phone, which is for 3G version 3.1.2
    Good luck
    2010-04-04 08:02 AM
    a shift+restore thru iTunes will not update the baseband even if using an official firmware so depending on the baseband he has now that will determine which tool he needs to unlock with...could be ultasn0w or blacksn0w rc2
    2010-04-04 08:41 AM
    i sucessfully upgraded my OS to 3.1.2
    i could see this by using f0recast..
    it said

Baseband: 05.11.07
    Bootloader: 5.9
    Jailbrokable?: Yes(Always)
    Unlockable?: Yes (Use blacksn0w)

So now the only thing is how could i jailbrake and unlock it, it doesnt allow me to do anything except make emergency calls and shows the screen where it tells me to connect the iphone to iTunes.
    I tried using blacksn0w, but it crashes almost instantly as soon as i press make it rain!

anything im doing wrong?
    thanks again guys
    Last edited by l2ounak; 2010-04-04 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-04-04 05:25 PM
    the easiest would be to google and download a custom ipsw file created with pwnagetool <---- very important...make sure it is an activated custom ipsw and from that point all u should have to is install blacksn0w rc2 from this repo in cydia as it will already be jailbroken with custom ipsw...here is the repo in cydia for blacksn0w Cydia.pushfix.info
    2010-04-04 05:40 PM
    the easiest would be to google and download a custom ipsw file created with pwnagetool <---- very important...make sure it is an activated custom ipsw and from that point all u should have to is install blacksn0w rc2 from this repo in cydia as it will already be jailbroken with custom ipsw...here is the repo in cydia for blacksn0w Cydia.pushfix.info
    hey thanks! its working now... i used blackra1n to jailbrake and unlock
    2010-04-04 09:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD