Last night I received an error something like "this accessory is not made to work with this device..." while my 3GS was charging from the standard Apple wall charge, now it won't connect or charge at all. I have tried multiple chargers, and it won't connect to any of the machines in the house. I guess I need to take it the Genius Bar to get it fixed/replaced, but I need to remove the jailbreak first.

I have about 50% battery life left, and since I can't connect to iTunes I am looking for some method to remove the jailbreak from the phone itself. Thoughts?

Thanks
    2010-04-11 02:05 PM
    the same exact thing happened to me..literally. I just let the battery completely drain and brought it to the apple store, and they replaced it.
    If u cant get it to connect trying multiple usb cords they wont either.
    i wouldnt do this if i was sending it in, but going to the apple store it will work fine.

Also if you are very paranoid about it, go into settings>general>reset>erase all content. but still let the battery completely drain before bringing it back.

Persoanlly i wouldnt erase all settings, as the phone will drain faster if you leave it streaming pandora for a while.
    2010-04-11 03:38 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll make an appointment for later today and stream the last bit of music on the way that this little guy will ever play.

I wouldn't mind getting a new phone with a new battery, but I'm quite concerned about the 3.13 firmware I'll get with the new phone. I'm not sure I can live without my jailbroken iPhone.
    2010-04-11 04:56 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll make an appointment for later today and stream the last bit of music on the way that this little guy will ever play.

I wouldn't mind getting a new phone with a new battery, but I'm quite concerned about the 3.13 firmware I'll get with the new phone. I'm not sure I can live without my jailbroken iPhone.
    the 3.1.3 JB is very close to release.. 2-3 weeks @ most.

You are lucky your getting the new one this close to a release, Ive had a repleacement new bootrom 3.1.3 3gs for a month now.
    Also in the meantime you could load beta 4.0 on it to be able to customize your wallpaper and have folders
    2010-04-11 05:02 PM
    Well, I spent 55 minutes driving to the Apple store, but since I was late for my appt by 10 minutes they wouldn't accomodate me. One of the techs agreed to quickly look over the phone: there was no external water damage, but some corrosion on the contacts which may have come from humidity. It wouldn't power on, nor would it charge or connect to their systems. I heard him mention to another tech that it would be covered unter warranty, but then told me they would need to open it and look for internal water damage... even though the external sensors were clear. I understand they may have short on time, but it sure felt like they were giving me the run-around. It would not have been that difficult to perform a swap, which anyone in the store can do... instead I drove another hour home with a dead phone.

The truly unfortunate aspect is that I am leaving in the morning for a two week international trip without my phone. Their response was that "Apple has stores in Europe as well, perhaps you can get it fixed there".

I must admit that I am quite disappointed in Apple tonight. Hopefully the next experience will be better, otherwise I may have to consider giving up my favorite phone for a Nexus One.
    2010-04-12 03:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD