Hey ya...

I have a Iphone 3GS currently jailbreaked on firmware 3.0..

I want to update it without losing my apps from cydia and such, what is the best way to do it as i am a little unsure as i think i have over read all such feeds..

Any help would be grateful..
    2010-04-13 05:03 AM
    Any update in firmware will wipe your phone, you have to reload / sync apps back to your phone. But, for the 3GS there is more. If you don't have your SHSH files store for the firmware version you wish to upgrade to, you can only upgrade to the latest version 3.1.3. Since you are already jailbroken, you can upgrade with a custom 3.1.3 firmware and keep your jailbreak.
    2010-04-13 05:17 AM
    Thanks..

Though i am still a little unsure by how to back up files or what the SHSH bit is..

Sorry if im stating the obvious..

Is there a rough idiots guide on how to do it?
    2010-04-13 05:42 AM
    you can update to any custom firmware from 3.1 to 3.1.3...it's your choice...u don't have to have your shsh's because custom firmwares bypass the signing process...if you have a mac you can create a custom firmware of your choosing with pwnagetool and option+update to that...if not then use google to find a custom firmware of your choosing created with pwnagetool and shift+restore
    to that...there are a couple of programs on cydia that will back up those apps and use iTunes to backup the AppStore apps...once updated restore your apps and you are good to go
    2010-04-13 12:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD