boax - can you give me a reliable site to get my custom firmware? Not sure if you can post it on this site or not but perhaps you can email it to me at [email protected].

Thanks and happy it worked for you - I know how it is!!
    2010-05-05 05:36 PM
    kally; you can google it...this is how i did type:custom firmware 3.1.3 then click on the the site name "ilikemyiphone" that where i got the firmware from..
    2010-05-05 05:52 PM
    What I want to do now is use a custom firmware for 3.1.2 to upgrade to. That is basically all I want to do - and from what you just confirmed all I will need to do is get the custom firmware (lots on the internet - right?? are they safe??) and just do a shift - restore and I am good to go - no further jailbreak required. If I am mistaken please let me know.

Thanks again for all your help.
    Yeah, it's safe. On sites, you'll typically find them in a thread where there's a bunch customized firmwares, then you just get the one that fits your phone.

For you, that'd be:
    pwnagetool made 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 for 3GS (your choice on version)
    700mb-1gb partition
    activated (if you need unlock) - unactivated (if you're on official carrier)
    cydia installed and nothing else
    stock boot and recovery logos

ok just let you guy know that i tried custom firmware i made with snowbreeze it not working for me. so i dl some cfw online made with pwnade tool. my phone is now working with fw 3.1.3 bb 4.26.08 unlock with ultrasn0w. i'm so happy and excited ...thanks for all the suggested...
    Good to hear
    Last edited by dhamien; 2010-05-05 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-05-05 06:31 PM
    dhamien,

One more question - I am on an official carrier but would like to have the option to unlock if I ever want to now or at a later date so should I select the activated or unactivated custom firmware.

Thanks again.
    2010-05-05 09:50 PM
    dhamien,

One more question - I am on an official carrier but would like to have the option to unlock if I ever want to now or at a later date so should I select the activated or unactivated custom firmware.

Thanks again.
    It doesn't really matter much for you. If you were at baseband 05.11.07, I'd recommend not using an unlock because blacksn0w can be buggy but since you have bb 04.xx it's fine to unlock.

If you don't mind restoring when/if you ever decide to unlock the phone, it's probably best just to get the unactivated one, as you might as well not change the baseband files when it's not needed.
    2010-05-05 10:30 PM
    Sorry to bugs you guys agian but I have another question what's the advances to install openssh?
    2010-05-06 12:11 AM
    it will allow to access the file system of the phone using winscp and a few other programs over your wireless network
    2010-05-06 01:15 AM
    dhamien,

Thanks again.
    Kally, if you don't know how to create a Custom Fw, let me know, leave me a message on my inbox and I can remotely create it on your computer.
    2010-05-06 01:37 AM
    So it's good idea to install openssh? In case something happened with the phone . I can use winscp to fix it instead restore the phone?
    2010-05-06 02:02 AM
    you can't always fix it using that but yes it's a good idea to install it just in case...it's the first thing I install after jailbreaking
    2010-05-06 02:12 AM
    So it's good idea to install openssh? In case something happened with the phone . I can use winscp to fix it instead restore the phone?
    If only you know what you are doing..if you don't know what you are doing it make buggle up your Iphone. Remember to change the password from Alpine to something else....or else one day you might see somebody's face on your Iphone..lol
    2010-05-06 02:30 AM
    Thanks for reply... So is openssh same with ssh terminal?
    2010-05-06 03:59 PM
    Hi Yeow202,

Me again!! In your post above you mentioned that I can share the custom firmware that I created with my friend. Does it make a difference that we are on different firmwares? Can I still share with him the one I made for myself?

Thanks.

BTW - We are not having any luck on the unlock aspect. Can't understand it because there are tons of threads on this and it seems it's just an issue of just getting the latest Blacksn0w and installing and the phone should be unlocked but it does not seem to be working. We seem to get a Bell Canada operator (although he is inserting an TIM sim card which is an Italian sim card) saying to use a LAN phone to complete the call.

Anyone have any clue what that is all about or another way to test if the phone is actually unlocked? What other carriers in Canada use a sim card (Bell doesn't).
    2010-05-13 08:40 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD