Ive been searching the site for this answer but cant seem to find it.

What is SSH and do I need it after jail breaking my 3gs 3.1.3

Also is there anything like passwords I need to change after jail breaking for security risks?

anyone?
    Last edited by [email protected]; 2010-05-06 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-05-06 02:23 PM
    U need to store your shsh files in order to be able to restore to 3.1.3 if something goes wrong and apple is no longer signing 3.1.3.

Its very important. Download autoshsh and run it with iphone plugged in.
    And after cydias shsh lookup is running again you should see a message on cydia home page stating you have shsh stored.
    2010-05-06 03:29 PM
    U need to store your shsh files in order to be able to restore to 3.1.3 if something goes wrong and apple is no longer signing 3.1.3.

Its very important. Download autoshsh and run it with iphone plugged in.
    And after cydias shsh lookup is running again you should see a message on cydia home page stating you have shsh stored.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I meant by SSH was OpenSSH
    2010-05-06 03:33 PM
    ssh doesn't have to be running all the time. I would install sbsettings and use it to turn off ssh and that way you can easily turn it back if needed.
    2010-05-06 03:55 PM
    If you dint know what ssh is then chances are you don't need it. it allows you to access the root file system of your iPhone from a computer. If you have no need or desire to do this then you should not install openssh.
    2010-05-06 05:34 PM
    If you dint know what ssh is then chances are you don't need it. it allows you to access the root file system of your iPhone from a computer. If you have no need or desire to do this then you should not install openssh.
    Ah k thanks thats the answer I was looking for

Also what is OpenSSL? cause it installs that with instal****
    2010-05-06 06:09 PM
    OpenSSL is similar to openssh. It just allows access to the phone by a different method
    2010-05-06 06:18 PM
    OpenSSH is useful though, if your phone ever messes up. If it does, you might find a solution that requires SSH'ing.

OpenSSH, along with MobileTerminal and APT are the first things I install on a newly jailbroken phone.

Note though, that if you do install it, you should change your root and mobile passwords.

Also, it's not needed to turn it off through SBSettings. It's a sleeping task and won't take up CPU and therefore not any battery either.
    2010-05-06 10:11 PM
    OpenSSH is useful though, if your phone ever messes up. If it does, you might find a solution that requires SSH'ing.

OpenSSH, along with MobileTerminal and APT are the first things I install on a newly jailbroken phone.

Note though, that if you do install it, you should change your root and mobile passwords.

Also, it's not needed to turn it off through SBSettings. It's a sleeping task and won't take up CPU and therefore not any battery either.
    Though the thing Im trying to figure out is if do I have to change any passwords with OpenSSL(if I dont have OpenSSH)?
    2010-05-07 02:15 AM
    Though the thing Im trying to figure out is if do I have to change any passwords with OpenSSL(if I dont have OpenSSH)?
    I don't know. Don't know what it's used for either.
    2010-05-07 11:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.