Just registered here to say that I also fell victim to the rock update yesterday. Today I noticed that the internet connection wasn't working anymore, so I did a reboot... and then the boot process wouldn't go pass the apple logo.

Fortunately I made a backup just a few hours prior to that, so I restored it with the custom ipsw (that also luckily was still on my harddrive)... still it's really annoying, since restoring everything as it was takes about one hour.

I won't lay my fingers on the rock app again.
    Last edited by Kayne; 2010-05-08 at 03:18 AM.
    2010-05-08 03:16 AM
    How did you make that custom 3.1.3 ipsw? I guess you're on AT&T still?
    2010-05-08 03:28 AM
    im downloading 3.1.3 right now and using sn0wbreeze to try restore
    2010-05-08 03:34 AM
    Hi Guys,

I'm new on forum.

Today at morning I had face the same problem that you.
    I have an iPhone 3G 8Gb with OS3.1.2(7D11) ModemFiremware 5.11.07 and I have followed this tutorial (Download iPhone OS 3.1.2 Custom Firmware (IPSW Files) for iPhone 3GS, 3G, 2G | iPhoneHeat) to restore my iphone.

After the restore (via iTunes) I've used the redsn0w and blacksn0w to unlock my phone and now I need to restoring everything, if you don't care about your data, you can try this.

I hope to help you guys.

Thanks
    2010-05-08 03:44 AM
    Hi Guys,

I'm new on forum.

Today at morning I had face the same problem that you.
    I have an iPhone 3G 8Gb with OS3.1.2(7D11) ModemFiremware 5.11.07 and I have followed this tutorial (Download iPhone OS 3.1.2 Custom Firmware (IPSW Files) for iPhone 3GS, 3G, 2G | iPhoneHeat) to restore my iphone.

After the restore (via iTunes) I've used the redsn0w and blacksn0w to unlock my phone and now I need to restoring everything, if you don't care about your data, you can try this.

I hope to help you guys.

Thanks

Thanks, the 3G isn't the problem. The 3GS is the one with the big problem. You can always unlock the 3G but the 3GS won't unlock on 3.1.3 with Spirit. If I didn't need to unlock my sim I would have updated to 3.1.3 last night.

im downloading 3.1.3 right now and using sn0wbreeze to try restore
    Restoring to what? If you're updating to 3.1.3 you're going to need to use Spirit to Jail Break it but you won't have unlock capability.
    Last edited by Aerocare; 2010-05-08 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-05-08 03:49 AM
    Thanks, the 3G isn't the problem. The 3GS is the one with the big problem. You can always unlock the 3G but the 3GS won't unlock on 3.1.3 with Spirit. If I didn't need to unlock my sim I would have updated to 3.1.3 last night.

Restoring to what? If you're updating to 3.1.3 you're going to need to use Spirit to Jail Break it but you won't have unlock capability.
    I dont need an unlock and was thinking of downloading Spirit. I'm close to out of options.

I was going to use redsn0w and make a custom 3.1.3 firmware and install that. Or should I use itunes and do 3.1.3?
    2010-05-08 04:11 AM
    I don't need an unlock and was thinking of downloading Spirit. I'm close to out of options.

I was going to use redsn0w and make a custom 3.1.3 firmware and install that. Or should I use iTunes and do 3.1.3?
    Redsn0w won't make a custom 3.1.3 ipsw. You need a MAC computer and Pwnage Tool to do that. If you don't need to unlock I'd just use iTunes to restore to 3.1.3 and then use Spirit to jailbreak and you're done!

I'm screwed because I need to unlock to use it on T-Mobile and I don't have a MAC to use Pwnage Tool. I've notice a couple of NEW USERS here who say some things that don't make a lot of sense and then disappear when I ask them a question. I wouldn't put too much credibility in their posts.
    2010-05-08 04:23 AM
    I also have the same problem as everyone else, but I was using Cydia to do the update. I don't have Rock on my iPhone since the rock problem last month.

I have my ECID saved on saurik's server, my Hosts file has been modified, and don't have any critical files on the phone. Do I use Recovery Mode or DFU mode to get my phone back. I just downloaded the 3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw, and I want to make sure I don't get upgraded to 3.1.3. Clicking Shift+Restore in iTunes, then pointing to the ipsw file, iTunes tells me it will restore and then verify with Apple
    Last edited by eclectic taste; 2010-05-08 at 04:39 AM.
    2010-05-08 04:35 AM
    Where did you download the 3.1.2 restore ipsw from?
    2010-05-08 04:44 AM
    Where did you download the 3.1.2 restore ipsw from?
    From the link on this page: http://modmyi.com/forums/downloads/f...s-3-1-2-32354/
    2010-05-08 04:47 AM
    I downloaded the 3.1.2 restore also and itunes wouldn't recognize it nor could i get out of the boot loop.

You are right, you can just edit what goes on the ipsw you make. So i did that and used a 3.1.3 restore to do it. Worked. Then Spirit, worked again.

Problem now: no AT&T carrier files on my phone. I am following the steps from here but no luck so far:

Updating iPhone AT&T carrier settings to activate MMS without updating to firmware 3.1 - Brandon Goodman's posterous
    2010-05-08 04:55 AM
    Looks like that might work. I'll start downloading now. Let us know how it goes for you !! Finally someone with something new to try. We've tried almost everything up to now.

I downloaded the 3.1.2 restore also and itunes wouldn't recognize it nor could i get out of the boot loop.

You are right, you can just edit what goes on the ipsw you make. So i did that and used a 3.1.3 restore to do it. Worked. Then Spirit, worked again.

Problem now: no AT&T carrier files on my phone. I am following the steps from here but no luck so far:

Updating iPhone AT&T carrier settings to activate MMS without updating to firmware 3.1 - Brandon Goodman's posterous
    OK so you updated to 3.1.3 on iTunes then used Spirit to JB. Perfect. Wish I didn't need to unlock or I would do it too.
    Last edited by Aerocare; 2010-05-08 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-05-08 05:01 AM
    Well, I'm trying the DFU method, as outlined here: Restore iPhone 3GS to 3.1.2 Using SHSHs on File with Cydia | Windows Let's see how it goes.

edit: I got through the restore process ok, got a notice that the carrier setting needed updating. In the process of restoring from the backup on iTunes. Don't know if this will restore my JB or if I'll have to make it rain again.
    Last edited by eclectic taste; 2010-05-08 at 05:40 AM.
    2010-05-08 05:17 AM
    Looks like that might work. I'll start downloading now. Let us know how it goes for you !! Finally someone with something new to try. We've tried almost everything up to now.

OK so you updated to 3.1.3 on iTunes then used Spirit to JB. Perfect. Wish I didn't need to unlock or I would do it too.
    It's perfect minus all my lost contacts and no carrier signal lol.

I've been at this all day and its driving me crazy.

Any idea how to load an AT&T carrier file? Using the methods in the link I posted did - not - work because iTunes isn't recognizing the ipcc file.
    2010-05-08 05:39 AM
    It's perfect minus all my lost contacts and no carrier signal lol.

I've been at this all day and its driving me crazy.

Any idea how to load an AT&T carrier file? Using the methods in the link I posted did - not - work because iTunes isn't recognizing the ipcc file.
    I've read in other forums to just restore to 3.1.3, FACTORY 3.1.3 not any other one. Spirit works with regular virgin normal apple iTunes 3.1.3

It says to restore and use Spirit and if doesn;t work the first time just do it again and keep using Spirit and it will work fine.
    2010-05-08 05:50 AM
    :head in palm: wow i did not change the file type. lol.

I got that but ill use the standard itunes restore again right now. damn it all.

This works:

FYI for the rest:
    iTunes restore to 3.1.3 --> Spirit jailbreak.

...but like he said, you cannot unlock with Spirit.
    Last edited by starfuryt550; 2010-05-08 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-05-08 06:28 AM
    I'm glad I could help.

Well, I'm trying the DFU method, as outlined here: Restore iPhone 3GS to 3.1.2 Using SHSHs on File with Cydia | Windows Let's see how it goes.

edit: I got through the restore process ok, got a notice that the carrier setting needed updating. In the process of restoring from the backup on iTunes. Don't know if this will restore my JB or if I'll have to make it rain again.

Any news ??? Did it work ???
    Last edited by Aerocare; 2010-05-08 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-05-08 06:51 AM
    There were several community updates in the last few days due to the iPad and new Jailbreak release. These were not produced by Rock but can be installed from within Rock. It looks like one of these may have caused your issue. One of the updates which we have now removed is removing some key system files and then replacing with new ones. If anything goes wrong with this process then you are left with a phone that won't reboot.
    **** Rock!! That patronizing email response is total ********! Try being more specific, assholes - explain which package crashed all of our phones, take some accountability!!! If you are pushing updates down to our phone, regardless of the source, it is YOUR responsibility.

Anyway, I ran out of patience spending all day trying to get this fixed. Just did a restore in iTunes from a custom 3.1.2 ipsw (made with Pwnage). At least my phone is back up and running... but I lost a ton of Photos, Contacts, and Notes due to this ****. **** you, ROCK!!! Never again on my phone.

I should have known... from day one those fuckers have been trying way too hard to exploit the hard work of the jailbreak community to shove cash in their own pockets. If their priorities were truly in helping the community, then they would have stepped up and shown it here. They would have taken accountability, bent over backwards to provide detailed explanations of what went wrong (and continuous updates), and have done everything they could to help the people that got screwed. Nothing but a typical "pass-the-buck" email response... complete garbage.
    2010-05-08 07:34 AM
    **** Rock!! That patronizing email response is total ********! Try being more specific, assholes - explain which package crashed all of our phones, take some accountability!!! If you are pushing updates down to our phone, regardless of the source, it is YOUR responsibility.

Anyway, I ran out of patience spending all day trying to get this fixed. Just did a restore in iTunes from a custom 3.1.2 ipsw (made with Pwnage). At least my phone is back up and running... but I lost a ton of Photos, Contacts, and Notes due to this ****. **** you, ROCK!!! Never again on my phone.

I should have known... from day one those fuckers have been trying way too hard to exploit the hard work of the jailbreak community to shove cash in their own pockets. If their priorities were truly in helping the community, then they would have stepped up and shown it here. They would have taken accountability, bent over backwards to provide detailed explanations of what went wrong (and continuous updates), and have done everything they could to help the people that got screwed. Nothing but a typical "pass-the-buck" email response... complete garbage. :
    VERY IMPORTANT !! OK I was just told in the other forum that I couldn't create a 3.1.2 with pwnage tool unless it was already on file in Cydia previously. Was yours on file or did you just create it today and restored to it?
    2010-05-08 07:48 AM
    It was neither rock nor cydia - it was one of the 3rd party pieces of software that both put on your phone. This is why apple doesn't want people to jailbreak. You took that risk when you did it. get over it

Restore worked for me.
    2010-05-08 07:59 AM
148 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD