Glad it worked for you, no need to come and rub it in anyone's face and tell us to get over it. If you don't have anything positive to say just try to keep away from your keyboard right now. Too many people with bricked phones out there that don't need to listen to your type of comments.
    2010-05-08 08:14 AM
    Good news my phone is useable and rejailbroken with blackra1n. Now I gave to reinstall apps, themes, etc.
    2010-05-08 08:18 AM
    Hey guys, new to this forum. I also have a 3gs with this exact same problem. I'm by no means a genius when it comes to this stuff, so I was just wondering if we don't mind waiting, if when the 4.0 OS update comes out just upgrading to that assuming that Geohot comes out with the jailbreak/Unlock Limera1n?
    2010-05-08 08:21 AM
    Welcome to the forum. What do we do meanwhile? I need a phone. I've bee nworking on this trying to find options since 7:30 am yesterday morning non stop! I don;t have SHSH in Cydia so it's been trying many options.

If you don't need to unlock it's super simple to fix this but I need the unlock.
    2010-05-08 08:26 AM
    I need the unlock as well, I'm on T-mobile. I mean like if I were to just get a temporary piece of junk phone to use until 4.0 and then update to that and use Limera1n as the unlock.
    2010-05-08 08:29 AM
    ??

rock app screwed my 3g as well..
    This is wat i did without upgrading to 3.1.3--
    open i tunes connect ur phone
    hold power and home button together until it goes in dfu mode
    Itune will prompt for restore with 3.1.3, instead get firmware 3.1.2.

from here---
    http://www.iphoneheat.com/2009/03/do...-at-one-place/

then hold shift and click on restore, then go to folder where u saved 3.1.2 ipsw file and select it
    once restored with 3.1.2 u can jailbreak and unlock with blackrain.

now syc and get ur data back from last saved restore
    Last edited by snakebrock; 2010-05-08 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-05-08 09:11 AM
    Like it has been said for the last few days, 3G is easy but 3GS is where the shiit hits the fan.
    2010-05-08 09:24 AM
    Why is it that the 3gs model can't do this same thing?
    2010-05-08 09:28 AM
    OK I was just told in the other forum that I couldn't create a 3.1.2 with pwnage tool unless it was already on file in Cydia previously. Was yours on file or did you just create it today and restored to it?
    I think that's only if you were on 3.1.3... I never upgraded. I was still happily running 3.1.2... until I got hammered with the Rock Virus yesterday.

I wound up doing a restore in iTunes with the 3.1.2 custom ipsw created by Pwnage. Then I restored the settings in iTunes to get everything back on my phone (at least since the last sync, a month ago). Everything is fine, now, except I lost a bunch of files that were created on the phone since the last synch.

I got mine back up and running using this tutorial:

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool [Mac]

The only exception being that I used the 3.1.2 firmware (here). NOTE: This is only the 3.1.2 firmware for the 3GS.

Also, in order to get my phone into recovery mode, all I had to do was power it on and hold the home button... it started to boot, displayed the apple logo, then a few seconds later rebooted, displayed the apple logo (still haven't let go of the home button), and then after a few more seconds, the recovery mode screen loaded.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
    2010-05-08 09:41 AM
    Thanks for all this- I've gotta 3Gs on order and been weighing the pros and cons of JBing. Think I'll wait and see how this pans out.
    2010-05-08 09:57 AM
    It was neither rock nor cydia - it was one of the 3rd party pieces of software that both put on your phone.
    That is what Rock claims... but I have yet to see any details about WHICH software it was. If they know what did it, which they claim they do (since they said they've now pulled it), then why haven't they told us. Oh... maybe because maybe if they try to pin it on a particular piece of software, that many of us never even had installed, then they might actually have to take accountability for the problem.

This is why apple doesn't want people to jailbreak. You took that risk when you did it. get over it
    Of course I know the risks, but this phone wouldn't be anywhere as much fun if it wasn't hackable. I definitely wouldn't have upgraded to the 3GS from the 1st Gen if Apple had figured out a way to shut jailbreaking down permanently. I would probably have switched to an Android.

I am over it... **** you very much.

Restore worked for me.
    Congrats... want a cookie? Restore worked for me, too.

It doesn't change the fact that I lost a bunch of files in the process. If you've ever had a hard drive crash on you, you should probably be a bit more sympathetic. If not, I can't wait until it happens to you. And I can't wait until someone tells you to "get over it". Then you'll understand exactly how big of an ******* your comments make you sound.
    2010-05-08 10:04 AM
    I think that's only if you were on 3.1.3... I never upgraded. I was still happily running 3.1.2... until I got hammered with the Rock Virus yesterday.

I wound up doing a restore in iTunes with the 3.1.2 custom ipsw created by Pwnage. Then I restored the settings in iTunes to get everything back on my phone (at least since the last sync, a month ago). Everything is fine, now, except I lost a bunch of files that were created on the phone since the last synch.

I got mine back up and running using this tutorial:

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool [Mac]

The only exception being that I used the 3.1.2 firmware (here). NOTE: This is only the 3.1.2 firmware for the 3GS.

Also, in order to get my phone into recovery mode, all I had to do was power it on and hold the home button... it started to boot, displayed the apple logo, then a few seconds later rebooted, displayed the apple logo (still haven't let go of the home button), and then after a few more seconds, the recovery mode screen loaded.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

I think I need to go to sleep to understand this clearly tomorrow. Please help me understand.

1- What version were you on BEFORE and AFTER doing this?

My iPhone is a 16GB 3GS with 3.0.1 (7A400) and 04.26.08 jailbroken with Redsn0w and unlocked with Ultrasn0w.

I don't have any SHSH files backed up on Cydia,

2- do you have anything backed up or did you create your own with pwnage tool?

3- Why did you need to download a restore ipsw if pwnage tool is creating a new one for the restore?
    2010-05-08 10:06 AM
    No problem. I have a 3GS that was originally jailbroken with Pwnage - still on 04.26.08, as well.

1- What version were you on BEFORE and AFTER doing this?
    Before: 3.1.2
    After: 3.1.2

2- do you have anything backed up or did you create your own with pwnage tool?
    I did have my SHSH backed up on Cydia, but I didn't need to use it for this process.

3- Why did you need to download a restore ipsw if pwnage tool is creating a new one for the restore?
    With Pwnage, you d/l the original ipsw from Apple, and Pwnage will create a new, custom ipsw for you to use from the original one. You just restore the custom ipsw instead of the original Apple version. Check out that tutorial I linked for all the details.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Last edited by Orijnal; 2010-05-08 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Added the "modem firmware" version for the sake of clarity.
    2010-05-08 10:18 AM
    It sounds great but I still don't get why anybody would need to have anything on file with Cydia then?

I think I'll need to go buy a MAC tomorrow and use pwnage tool if that's the only way to get this done. I've gotten so many people saying it can't be done with pwnage tool unless I have my SHSH files in Cydia but you are telling me you did it without them. Could it be that it's checking your files in Cydia without you knowing it?

I know !!!! Did you have to modify your HOSTS files to redirect iTunes to Cydia instead of Apple? I think they're called something else but did you have to redirect something like 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com ??

I think it can be done like you say in fact more than 18 hours ago I said the same thing but people who've been doing this for a long time told me I had to have them in Cydia but I don't think they do.

BTW did your baseband change? Mine is at 04.26.08 and want to keep it if possible. I also need to unlock.
    Last edited by Aerocare; 2010-05-08 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-05-08 10:31 AM
    I have done the same things. I tried iRecovery, DiskAid, WinSCP, QuickPWN, Blackra1n, etc. I finally got my iPhone 3GS to get recognized in iRecovery. None of the other applications would recognize the phone. I just don't know that iRecovery can put those files back onto the phone. If we could do that, we could probably get it to boot enough to copy our stuff off.

I too am wits end. My daughter's first laugh, roll over, etc (technically seconds since I was watching the first time ) are stored on my iPhone and not backed up.

I don't care about recovering the phone itself, just those files.

Lets hope someone REALLY REALLY smart is in a similar situation (absolutely needing files off of their iPhone) and will try and get it to work.
    I'm in the same boat I know I can reboot it but I need to back up my music, videos, & other documents that I never backed up If anyone figured out how to back up the media files in DFU or recovery mode it will be most appreciated!!!
    2010-05-08 02:50 PM
    After re-jailbreaking and updating, the phone reboots fine. This is good.

I restored a Rock backup from May 6 (the day this problem was first reported here), and everything works fine - I can reboot without any issues.

I asked the Rock team, and they replied:

It was a package called iPhone Firmware /sbin that was removed to prevent the problem.
    If you can decipher that... ;-)
    2010-05-08 05:39 PM
    Did you ask them the hard questions like :

What are you doing to help your clients to fix this problem?

What kind of pressure are you putting on this company who made the mistake to fix this?
    2010-05-08 06:05 PM
    Finally got my phone working & mostly back to where it was before. For the record, I got hosed when I used Cydia's "Update All" option, not Rock. I don't even have rock on my phone. The blame for this rests on whoever released the package called iPhone Firmware /sbin that was removed to prevent the problem.
    2010-05-08 06:33 PM
    After re-jailbreaking and updating, the phone reboots fine. This is good.

I restored a Rock backup from May 6 (the day this problem was first reported here), and everything works fine - I can reboot without any issues.

I asked the Rock team, and they replied:

If you can decipher that... ;-)
    Did you restore and then re-jailbreak? I'm looking for a way to get it to reboot normally without having to restore it because I really want to backup my data
    2010-05-08 06:58 PM
    Did you restore and then re-jailbreak? I'm looking for a way to get it to reboot normally without having to restore it because I really want to backup my data
    same here If anyone knows how data can be backuped before a restore its greatly appreciated!
    2010-05-08 07:30 PM
148 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD