I tried the redsn0w /USR/SBIN PATCHER, but my iPhone just keep rebooting itself.

So I think my case falls into the category of

Unfortunately my problem is that I don't have Wifi enabled by default, so I won't be able to ssh onto the damn phone. I don't know whether there is another way to deal with these dylib files.
    SAME HERE. IS THERE ANOTHER WAY TO DISABLE THESE DAMN MOBILE SUBSTRATE EXTENSIONS WITHOUT SSHing.
    2010-05-14 03:25 PM
    BEEJ,

First let me say thank you for working so hard to find a fix for the iPhone. I really appreciate your time and effort. I ran the SBIN and USR GUIs and I could not get my phone to reboot. I saw following items as the phone was going through the JB process: downloading JB data, running pineapple, the apple logo and then the screen turned black. I was hoping that it was rebooting but the phone turned off. The phone never rebooted during the JB process. Below you will find the specs for my phone. Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Unlocked
    Blackrain
    MacBook Pro 10.6.3, Windows 7 and Vista

Cheers,

Rachael
    "Restoring my iPhone is not an option!"
    That's the same issue I'm having. Does your phone only boot up when the sleep & home keys are pressed, then turn off after about 5 seconds? I seem to only be able to go into recovery mode or boot up to the apple logo then turn off.
    2010-05-14 05:10 PM
    any update on the windows version? how about the mac version? is it 100% working?
    2010-05-14 05:14 PM
    any update on the windows version? how about the mac version? is it 100% working?
    You might want to actually read before asking a question like this.

See post on previous page (page 12) from iBeej.
    2010-05-14 05:17 PM
    he probably could have been more specific, but it's a valid question. i was not able to get the modified redsn0w (first version) to work on my friend's mac. not that it crashed, but it didn't recognize my firmware file (IPSW). I tried 3.0.1 and 3.0.

Has anyone fixed an iphone 3G running 3.0.1 with this?

p.s. @Beej: it might help if you keep your software versions distinct using some sort of numbering system
    2010-05-14 05:24 PM
    I'm not versioning the redsn0w package because it's not my software. It's more of a packaging trick. But I want to try building a whole variety of packages using different versions of redsn0w. It's really bothering me some of you are seeing the shut off. I can completely replicate the shut off problem, and the mac redsn0w works flawless every time.

Foe those of you seeing the SHUT OFF still, please give me some details on what's happening and what you're running if you haven't already.

Like I said, a wide variety of software configurations.

BEEJ
    Last edited by iBeej; 2010-05-28 at 08:53 PM.
    2010-05-14 05:37 PM
    Hey iBeej,

I'm in the same boat as others. The new app works, but the phone doesn't. Continuously reboots to the apple logo for less than 10 seconds as before. I ran both apps just to make sure. iRecovery says the same stuff as it did for me last time, still nothing about the kernal. Is there any info I can get to help?

On a side note, sleep is important, but so is eating...
    2010-05-14 05:44 PM
    Hi Beej!

Tried "redsnow 2" but no luck.
    Redsnow doin it's thing but when iPhone tries to reboot I get apple logo then recovery-mode again (usb-itunes logo).
    Still showing a "kernelcache image not valid" from iRecovery.

I guess it's the DYLIBs/mobilesubstrate problem as u describe in your latest post? U mention that you will have a look at the problem when the windows-fix is solved. So I'll wait 'til then instead of trying to move the dylibs myself. It seem safer if u manage/have the time(?) to get a fix around.

As always, thank you soooo much for your time and effort! I've never seen anything like it on the web!
    Donating for sure!

Thanx,
    /Richard

Here's the info from iRecovery and my phone info again:

blackrain:d, unlocked
    late model, week51, so it has a fixed bootrom. 05.11....
    died after rockupdate
    on macbook pro

iRecovery:

[FTL:MSG] Apple NAND Driver (AND) RO
    [NAND] Found Chip ID 0x3295DE987A on FMI0:CE0
    [NAND] Found Chip ID 0x3295DE987A on FMI0:CE1
    [NAND] Found Chip ID 0x3295DE987A on FMI1:C8
    [NAND] Found Chip ID 0x3295DE987A on FMI1:CE9
    [FTL:MSG] FIL_Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] BUF_Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] FPart Init [OK]
    read new style signature 0x43313133 (line:375)
    [FTL:MSG] VSVFL Register [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] VFL Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] VFL_Open [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] YAFTL Register [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] FTL_Open [OK]
    Boot Failure Count: 3 Panic Fail Count: 0
    Delaying boot for 0 seconds. Hit enter to break into the command prompt...
    HFInitPartition: 0x4ffa1040
    Kernelcache image not valid
    Entering recovery mode, starting command prompt
    (Recovery) iPhone$
    Last edited by rilloteddy; 2010-05-14 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Adding info.
    2010-05-14 05:49 PM
    Just for info, this fix is specifically for the 'bug' that was caused by updating RockApp. I know it's described in detail on the link to the author's own site, just wanted to point it out to the people who don't read thoroughly and just skip to instructions.

This isn't a fix for the blacksn0w bug.

iBeej, you might want to clear that up in your first post. I point it out as some might see this and think it's a solution to a different problem.

Other than that, I just want to thank you for your hard work on this. I haven't experienced the problem myself, but I've seen a lot of people with it and I know that for some, restore isn't an option.
    Last edited by dhamien; 2010-05-14 at 05:59 PM.
    2010-05-14 05:55 PM
    Hi, Beej...Thanks so much for putting in the hard work to allow us to get our iPhones up and running again.

My results were pretty much the same as Rachael's report on the prior page.

redsn0w1 would crash everytime I tried it. redsn0w2 went through the process only from DFU mode. The "downloading JB data" appeared for 3-5 minutes, and then the phone flashes a white screen & reboots to the Apple logo. This logo remains on screen for about 1-2 minutes then the phone shuts off and it's back to the original drawing board...same as before. I don't believe that the JB data is actually being loaded into the phone and maybe it's timing out,..or that the data is not correctly overwriting the corrupted files(?).

I'm still questioning the cause of the issue in my case, for I do not use Rock and had not updated anything from Cydia for over a week, when, after a normal iTunes sync, my phone powered off after a few minutes and wouldn't restart. I think I'm more suspicious that a downloaded app could have corrupted the system files...somewhat like a virus. But I hope that this is not the case!

FYI, I did try using the SSH method many times, but Cyberduck could not connect before the iPhone powered off each time.

Much appreciation,
    Michael

My iPhone info...
    3.1.2 on a 16GB iPhone 3G
    jailbroken & still locked to at&t
    redsn0w
    MacBookPro 10.6.3, Windows 7 (BootCamp), ...& Windows XP SP3 on custom PC
    iPhone still not booting before it shuts off
    2010-05-14 06:11 PM
    BJ is the author of the first link. For those wanting the detailed description not on this forum, it can again be found at www.spacesparkstudios.net.

I can't make him sleep, but I am doing my best to feed him when I see him.

Thanks again for all of your patience. He is working so hard to fix the problems each and every one of you are experiencing. I think he has broken his own phone three dozen times now to test fixes and try to replicate the problems some of you are describing.

I may be biased, but beej is brilliant and I guarantee that given time he can find a perfect fix for all of you. Believe me when I say he has done little else besides go to work and work on this for a week now.
    2010-05-14 06:25 PM
    I'm getting a bit desperate now for a fix. Not sure I can wait for the windows fix.

So, going to try to load up Mac OSX 10.6.2 in a VMWare virtual machine and see if I can fix it from there. Have no idea if it will work, but worth a try I guess.

I'm still up for testing the windows version when it's ready for such.

All I can say Beej is thanks for all your hard work and tireless dedication to this. It is much appreciated.
    2010-05-14 06:35 PM
    BEEJ,

Greetings! KingCon, Bassix and I are experiencing the same shut off issue after running Redsn0w2. Is there anything else you need from us to figure out what's wrong with our iPhone? I am more than willing to have an iChat session and let you take a look at the GUIs while they are running, SSH into the phone or post additional information on the thread. Thanks again for your effort!

Kind Regards,

Rachael
    2010-05-14 06:36 PM
    BEEJ,

Greetings! KingCon, Bassix and I are experiencing the same shut off issue after running Redsn0w2. Is there anything else you need from us to figure out what's wrong with our iPhone? I am more than willing to have an iChat session and let you take a look at the GUIs while they are running, SSH into the phone or post additional information on the thread. Thanks again for your effort!

Kind Regards,

Rachael
    Rachael,

I wish I knew how to fix this problem. I just learned what a redsn0w was two days ago. I just wanted to confirm if anyone else was experiencing the same issue as me as their seems to be so many variables that could cause them.

As of now my iphone is at the mercy of Beej. Fingers crossed that he can figure this mess out!
    2010-05-14 07:00 PM
    Beej,

Thanks again for doing this, I cannot express enough gratitude. I truly hope things stabilize for you at work. No one needs that additional stress. Sleep as you need to and eat when CarlieQ gives you the food. This must definitely feel like an endurance contest.

I just wanted to give you an update. Like KingCon when I tried to run redsn0w1 it still crashed. Thinking I had nothing to lose I ran redsn0w2 and it actually ran through the jailbreak process as designed. However, after the reboot the pineapple was gone and the apple was in its place. The phone still shuts down again after 5-10 seconds, the same as last night.

Thanks again to both you and CarlieQ!

Tan
    2010-05-14 09:27 PM
    Hi there,
    Firstly, good effort, much appreciated.

When I use the latest "patched" redsn0w, with install cydia option ticked, redsn0w simply crashes before even loading the "jailbreak data". I was originally running snow leopard 10.6.3 through vmware so i though that might be the problem so borrowed a friends mac book - same problem. The original redsn0w with cydia box ticked(/or not ticked) or the modified version with the cydia box unticked works perfectly but ofcourse my iphone still does the sutdown after 5 secs. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing wrong, any idea? (I even tried putting the cydia package in a redsn0w 0.9.4 - still didn't work)

Thanks in advance and hope you can help
    2010-05-14 10:37 PM
    Hi there,
    Firstly, good effort, much appreciated.

When I use the latest "patched" redsn0w, with install cydia option ticked, redsn0w simply crashes before even loading the "jailbreak data". I was originally running snow leopard 10.6.3 through vmware so i though that might be the problem so borrowed a friends mac book - same problem. The original redsn0w with cydia box ticked(/or not ticked) or the modified version with the cydia box unticked works perfectly but ofcourse my iphone still does the sutdown after 5 secs. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing wrong, any idea? (I even tried putting the cydia package in a redsn0w 0.9.4 - still didn't work)

Thanks in advance and hope you can help
    Did you try redsn0w2?

It went through the entire jailbreak successfully, the phone restarted and crashed at the apple logo for me. That's a step farther than I got with the patched version of redsn0w, so give it a try.
    2010-05-15 01:01 AM
    I'm getting a bit desperate now for a fix. Not sure I can wait for the windows fix.

So, going to try to load up Mac OSX 10.6.2 in a VMWare virtual machine and see if I can fix it from there. Have no idea if it will work, but worth a try I guess.
    Ok... Well, I did try both of the redsn0w packages in Mac OS X 10.5.5 (couldn't get 10.6.2) in a VMWare virtual machine. Here are the results:

1st, my info: iPhone 3GS 3.1.2, locked, blackra1n, old bootrom.

redsn0w (1st one): Got it up and running and it was doing great until the jailbreaking part and then it just died and nothing happened. I tried several times with and without reboots. Just won't work.

redsn0w2 (2nd, newest one): This one worked like a charm and performed as expected. It went through the jailbreaking and rebooted my phone. Everything went perfectly well. BUT, still having the problem of booting to the Apple logo for a few secs and it shuts off.

So, I am unfortunately back to square one with this. I'm now heading out the door to pull a CarlieQ and pickup a Go! phone or something as I really need to make some calls.

I'm still quite hopeful and patiently (trying) waiting for Beej to pull off his magic and get a Windows version up and running that works. Although, now that I know I can do this on a Mac VM, I'm cool with testing those as well. And maybe another one of those will work for me.

You go Beej! You have all my support. And, I hope some of this information helped you in some way.
    2010-05-15 01:36 AM
    ibeej,

Thanks for the hard work. I've been patiently following this thread since Monday and will continue to do so. I don't think I've backed up since October timeframe and I'd hate to lose all the pictures of my now 9 month old daughter.

Anyways, I was browsing some other forums and came accoss the below link. Although computer savvy and an electrical engineer myself, I don't pretend to follow much of what they discussed. However, they mentioned one way to improve your approach, so I thought I'd pass that along if you didn't already know it

They mentioned using:

Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 won't start - Hackint0sh

Another thought. Does your approach require using the preset root username and password? Because I changed mine awhile back... so I'm hoping thats not hardcoded into the payload or something... again not really my area

Keep you head up. Although frustrating this project will be very rewarding once completed and you will have no doubt helped hundreds of people. Most of which may be following this thread patiently, and without commenting.

kubla
    2010-05-15 02:55 AM
    Hello beej, any update on the progress of the windows fix?
    2010-05-15 03:04 AM
983 ... 8910111220 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD