I am almost positive my iPod updated at least one of them, but I can't remember which one.
    2010-05-15 09:38 PM
    Recent Rock Issue

This was the information given from rock about the issue, maybe this might help
    2010-05-15 09:41 PM
    Unfortunately the install of "firmware (/sbin)" failed to install properly via Rock, and it resulted in the diskdev-cmds package to be removed (instead of replaced). These were critical system files which were replaced by diskdev-cmds and upon uninstall, removed these files (which were needed for the phone to boot).
    I believe that is what happened to me. I remember the installation of something with firmware in its name failing.
    2010-05-15 09:47 PM
    AWESOME!!!!!!!!! The windows version fsked me but I just tried Ibeejs's mac version in my snow leopard on vmware and now my iphone's fixed. IBeej - You LEGEND!!!

By the way, hope that helps the fact that on the same iphone, the windows version of modified redsn0w resulted in fsked error but the mac version worked!! I'm pretty damn happy - i'm tempted to make a paypal account just to give you a donation lol! Anyway thanks for everything, hope my info of mac vs pc version helps.
    2010-05-15 09:53 PM
    Sorry to say, no dice.

Nothing notable happened when trying the Window fix. Verbose didn't even display. But i guess this time instead of shutting down after 1 minute, it took several minutes after to shut down at the Apple logo.

THX 4 the effort, as I am monitoring this thread closely. THX again.
    Last edited by BMNB1tches; 2010-05-15 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-05-15 10:34 PM
    here's my scenario:
    i had the Kernel cache image problem when i checked with irecovery after the rock update messed up my iphone (after a reboot), after i applied the windows version fix, the kernel cache image error is not there, i would guess the fix worked that part out, however when i try to start my phone with redsnow or blackra1n (i am on the new bootrom, so its tethered boot) it shut off again, i cannot but help thinking that maybe i might be missing more critical files, is there any way i could SSH into my phone while its in recovery mode?
    thanks for your valiant efforts iBeej
    2010-05-15 10:47 PM
    AWESOME!!!!!!!!! The windows version fsked me but I just tried Ibeejs's mac version in my snow leopard on vmware and now my iphone's fixed. IBeej - You LEGEND!!!

By the way, hope that helps the fact that on the same iphone, the windows version of modified redsn0w resulted in fsked error but the mac version worked!! I'm pretty damn happy - i'm tempted to make a paypal account just to give you a donation lol! Anyway thanks for everything, hope my info of mac vs pc version helps.
    FYI... iBeej, YOU ARE THE MAN!
    Based on this post, I figured I'd go ahead and try the Mac version myself on my Mac VM. I tried the windows version a couple of times with no luck. But, after reading this, I figured, what the heck? I'll give it a shot.
    Lo! And Behold! It worked like a charm!

So, the windows version did not work for me. But the Mac version worked perfectly. First thing I did was get my stuff off of the phone and back it up.

One thing I noticed though... Txt messages all came in at once (ones that were sent after my phone borked). But, I know I had at least 5 voicemails while I was out of commission and none of them have showed up (yet anyway). I wonder why that is?

iBeej: if there's anything you need to know about my phone, let me know. I will not do anything to it (short of calls and texts) in case you need info from it.

Once again, iBeej, YOU ROCK!!! Thank you so much!

Update: Voicemails finally showed up. So, phone is as good as it was before borkness attack. Yay!
    Last edited by icegunner; 2010-05-15 at 10:55 PM.
    2010-05-15 10:48 PM
    PLEASE READ WHAT I'M ABOUT TO SAY REGARDING LIBUSB!

I have a lot of experience with libusb as I have used it extensively in both windows and is a compiled library in my program I'm working on. Be careful about using this, there are a few things you should know.

1.) It is system DRIVER. So it needs to be installed as such.

2.) Because it's a driver, it replaces the Apple Mobile Recovery driver which is great if you're using iRecovery. But causes problems on other areas.

3.) One of these areas in windows I have seen, is the driver breaking compatibility with jailbreak software or iTunes. So remember to uninstall or manually "Update your driver" if you go back and forth between them.

4.) 64-bit Windows 7 has a strong requirement that all drivers are digitally signed. USBLib is not one of these. There is no way to successfully use the driver, even if you answer yes to the question to install anyway. So for those of you running 64-bit, the only way around this is rebooting windows, hold down F8 before you see the logo at boot, you should see the typical safe mode options plus one called "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" and continue booting. NOTE: This setting must be applied EACH time you boot. Annoying I know. I hate MS for it

5.) You may need to reinstall upon booting in to windows.

6.) You may also need to build the driver manually. If the above fails, tell me and I will provide some utilities to do this.

7.) You might also have to put windows in to "test mode" so win7-64 can communicate directly with the hardware. I only bring this up because I'm currently in that mode as I have multiple projects interfacing with hardware.

It's a pain, I know. But it works in Win7 64 and it may take some work. Just remember to go to device manager when the iPhone is plugged in and "Update Driver" using the auto method so Apple will install again if you need iTunes or jailbreak to work. Windows will auto install apple everytime because they are signed drivers. Which is why you have to forcefully specify the location using Have-Disk to use libusb.

Also keep in mind there are two versions of usblib. 0.1 (legacy) which is what iRecovery uses, and then the newer WinUSB 1.0 which I don't think works with iRecovery. Remeber that going forward.

Other versions of windows are much easier to handle. 32-bit vista or even win7 are much much easier than dealing with the 64-bit headache.

Let me know if you need assistance.

BEEJ
    Last edited by iBeej; 2010-05-28 at 08:46 PM.
    2010-05-15 10:49 PM
    FYI... iBeej, YOU ARE THE MAN!
    Based on this post, I figured I'd go ahead and try the Mac version myself on my Mac VM. I tried the windows version a couple of times with no luck. But, after reading this, I figured, what the heck? I'll give it a shot.
    Lo! And Behold! It worked like a charm!

So, the windows version did not work for me. But the Mac version worked perfectly. First thing I did was get my stuff off of the phone and back it up.

One thing I noticed though... Txt messages all came in at once (ones that were sent after my phone borked). But, I know I had at least 5 voicemails while I was out of commission and none of them have showed up (yet anyway). I wonder why that is?

iBeej: if there's anything you need to know about my phone, let me know. I will not do anything to it (short of calls and texts) in case you need info from it.

Once again, iBeej, YOU ROCK!!! Thank you so much!

Update: Voicemails finally showed up. So, phone is as good as it was before borkness attack. Yay!
    good to hear that your iphone worked, i am tempted to try the mac version but sadly i dont have a mac, you mentioned that you run it on vmware, could you post a link to a help guide to achieve this? i really want to get my iphone to work again. thanks
    2010-05-15 11:00 PM
    Ok now you guys have me really really curious with the luck running the mac version over the windows version.

There is NO difference in MY payload between the two platforms. In fact they are both using the EXACT SAME tar.gz! The mac version is simply updated in the Contents/MacOS/Cydia.tar.gz, and the windows version is "patched in" the exe with a hex editor I use called NEO. There are 4 register offsets inside redsn0w with tar.gz header bytes 1F 8B 08 00 which basically means there are a total of FOUR embedded compressed archives compiled on to the exe. I patch in a carefully crafted version of this package (which macs have too) in the 3rd memory location which is the primary system bundle. It's all assembled and packages up and then I release it. SO unless I have screwed something up in the assembly (which I doubt, because in most cases the exe will page fault) the windows version should be acting exactly the same. But I can't rule out the possibility that the DEV-TEAM has done something different entirely. In fact looking at their disassembled code, they ARE doing different things and calling other subroutines. But most of it is fairly standard stuff, loading an image extractor for the tars, etc. But it's possible their extractor is not handling the archive properly. I used Mac specifically for building the payload because the command line has all the shell cmds for tar gz and managing nix based permissions. I was forced down this path because the win32 tar/gz tools (while working great during the process) never seemed to extract properly when redsn0w was actually running.

But what really bugs me is the fact the other users have had SUCCESS using the windows version while some of you HAVEN'T but did after using Mac in a VM!!! This will drive a person like me absolutely crazy....

BEEJ
    Last edited by iBeej; 2010-05-28 at 08:45 PM.
    2010-05-15 11:06 PM
    good to hear that your iphone worked, i am tempted to try the mac version but sadly i dont have a mac, you mentioned that you run it on vmware, could you post a link to a help guide to achieve this? i really want to get my iphone to work again. thanks
    Here's a guide, but it looks like it'll take some time: How to Install Snow Leopard on VirtualBox

I'm not sure, but I think you might be able to just install the OSx86 Leopard distro and not bother going as far as to update to snow leopard.

I'm wondering if iBeej knows why the Windows one isn't working. Maybe it has something to do with people having libusb installed in Windows? That's just a guess.
    2010-05-15 11:08 PM
    dude thank you, thank you, thank you,

*tears of joy*

8G 3G
    Win 7
    Redsn0w 0.9.3
    No Unlock(Rogers)

thank you soooooooo much man, i knew waiting would pay off

i had tons and tons of new born baby pics on my phone i am sooo gald i got them back

please pm and give me your name as i will be naming my 2nd born after you
    2010-05-15 11:19 PM
    Oh and remember, even the windows version worked to fix MY OWN phone! So what the hell? lol

I want to also state the importance of answering the bootrom question absolutely unequivocally beyond a reasonable doubt correct!!! At first I thought this was and is related to the kernel patch. Screw up the kernel patch and that's WORSE than ANY binary missing or deleted from your system! The dev team explicitly states you may never recover from this if you answer this question wrong. That's slightly disconcerning, although I don't agree with it. It's fixable, but probably not with their own tool. But inspecting their code, they specifically build and send a kernel cache based on the type of phone, IPSW, and maybe even the answer to the bootrom question. And I have already seen their 0.9.4 (but not 0.9.3) recover from an Invalid kernel cache. So word to the wise, just do yourself a huge favor and research which bootrom you have. I can only do so much, which is a big part nonetheless, how you patch it is totally in your hands. So help me out and be careful!

BEEJ
    Last edited by iBeej; 2010-05-28 at 08:44 PM.
    2010-05-15 11:22 PM
    Unanimated, did you have libusb installed? (if you don't know the answer is probably no)

Icegunner, did you?
    2010-05-15 11:24 PM
    Alright, fine. You guys are making me commit suicide. (Not literally). I am going to intentionally answer that question wrong.

And then I'm going to fix it. Bwwhahaha.

BEEJ
    Last edited by iBeej; 2010-05-28 at 08:44 PM.
    2010-05-15 11:26 PM
    Hey Beej,

Just ran your Windows package and no luck for me.

3GS
    Windows XP

I got my iphone at launch, so I'm assuming I don't have a new one. I ran it with only Fix My Phone option selected, and no luck. My phone still displays the Apple logo for a few seconds, then shuts off completely.
    2010-05-15 11:27 PM
    Oh btw, I absolutely could not get b33jsn0w to recognize the phone with libusb installed. Well.... Not legacy 0.1 (that might actually work, which is a good theory you guys have that maybe it causes a problem). But the new 1.0 WinUSB (forked libusb 0.1) simply did not work. So when I patches my own phone this morning, I had reinstalled the Apple USB drivers. It would be good to clamp down on this variable and determine the outcome because a bad driver WILL cause so many problems for ANY program period. And believe me, after spending time in the libusb code, I can tell you it's not the most pretty, stable or reliable driver I have seen. In fact I worry about it so much I absolutely do not recommend having it installed when you run my patcher. Just eliminate that variable now and then report back.

BEEJ
    Last edited by iBeej; 2010-05-28 at 08:43 PM.
    2010-05-15 11:32 PM
    @iBeej

1. Is it possible libusb could be causing the fixes to not work? EDIT: (I wrote this before your post)

2. Is it safe to try your redsn0w on my iPod Touch 2G? Or could it put my iPod in a state that I will have to restore to recover from?
    Last edited by spooky655; 2010-05-15 at 11:35 PM.
    2010-05-15 11:32 PM
    dude thank you, thank you, thank you,

*tears of joy*

8G 3G
    Win 7
    Redsn0w 0.9.3
    No Unlock(Rogers)

thank you soooooooo much man, i knew waiting would pay off

i had tons and tons of new born baby pics on my phone i am sooo gald i got them back

please pm and give me your name as i will be naming my 2nd born after you
    Unanimated, i'm glad we fixed your phone!!! Thank you for the kind words and taking the time to register at ModMyI and posting your results. (I'm sure the moderators love all the new registers i'm bringing here lol) Were you running libusb?

You can name your 2nd born after me, but i'm not sure the name BJ is a good idea. It's what I go by and it's pretty much my name, but it stands for "Brandon" which I hate worse than BJ. Go figure. I just deal with all the bad jokes... albeit the obvioius one isn't very creative and gets old fast lol.

Anyway, the more I think about this libusb thing, the more it makes sense. It would totally explain why some people failed to make it work in windows but succeeded in a mac vm or a friend's mac. If it's not libusb, then it's something windows users have or have done, and I take solace in the fact that it's not my patcher, because I really don't want to be chasing ghosts.

BEEJ
    Last edited by iBeej; 2010-05-28 at 08:43 PM.
    2010-05-15 11:45 PM
    is libusb safe to use just for this operation, and uninstall afterwards?
    2010-05-15 11:49 PM
983 ... 5131415161725 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD