If I'm gonna apply the Spirit jailbreak, do I do that FIRST and then backup SHSH via Cydia?

Or backup SHSH first and THEN jailbreak? It seems like some folks backup prior to installing Cydia.
    I guess I just haven't yet come across a clear explanation on why/how one would backup before applying the jailbreak.

...or maybe i'm just dense.
    2010-05-15 05:56 AM
    You cant backup through cydia before installing cydia....obviously.

And you cant install cydia before jailbreaking....obviously.
    2010-05-15 06:21 AM
    jailbreak it first , then get cydia lolz
    2010-05-15 10:41 AM
    haha.. I do understand all those things.

What I mean is, I'm reading now that you can backup PRIOR to installing Cydia... with another tool. I'm not 100% on why someone would do it this way vs. thru cydia, cuz you have to install cydia after JB (I assume).

Is the backup somehow more reliable if it is done BEFORE the JB is applied?
    2010-05-15 09:24 PM
    nope, it's the same, you have nothing to worry about as long as you can bottom line get your SHSH file. Personally, I have both a cydia backup and a local backup on my computer.
    2010-05-16 04:38 AM
    Roger that. Thanks, horserider!
    2010-05-16 05:17 AM
    haha.. I do understand all those things.

What I mean is, I'm reading now that you can backup PRIOR to installing Cydia... with another tool. I'm not 100% on why someone would do it this way vs. thru cydia, cuz you have to install cydia after JB (I assume).

Is the backup somehow more reliable if it is done BEFORE the JB is applied?
    Backup 3.1.3 shsh file is for future downgrading. If you want to backup which is a good idea, you can backup anytime now till a new release comes out that is to say when Apple stop signing 3.1.3.

You don't need your Iphone to be jailbroken to back it up. Any Iphone 3GS can do that by using the USBview and fw umbrella to back it up ( of course you have to put it in Recovery Mode )
    2010-05-16 06:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD