I was running 4.0 beta 4 when this happened.

I did a jailbreak using Spirit, it worked fine, but when I tried to get install*o*us, well, it never got through, I tried again and the second time it went through, but nothing showed up on the home screen, I thought restarting it would maybe fix this, as it had happened to me before with 3.1.2 some time ago, but it didn't boot.

It used to get stuck on the Apple logo screen, then after about 2-3 minutes, it showed a 'loading' icon right below it, but it was just the icon, it would not move. I tried restoring, redsn0w (which says DFU mode did not work), and some other stuff, like iRecovery to try to get 3.1.2 or .3 again, but that didn't work. It still won't boot.

Now it goes straight to the 'Connect to iTunes' screen... holding power/sleep, home+power, then home seems to be getting ignored... When I plug it in iTunes sees it, it says it has to be restored and that it is in recovery mode... so I Alt+Click to restore to the 4.0 beta 4 ipsw, and it starts, but the progress bar on the iPhone never moves and I get error 1611 on iTunes.
    The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1611), after which it takes me back to the 'Connect to iTunes' screen.

I can't find anything so I decided to come here for help... What should I try? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by morgue; 2010-06-01 at 07:02 AM.
    2010-06-01 04:29 AM
    You used spirit on 4.0? Have you tried just doing a plain old restore? I'd start there, just plug in and hit restore in iTunes so it loads a stock 3.1.3. If for some reason that doesn't work then start moving on to the fancy stuff.
    2010-06-01 04:57 AM
    Yes, Spirit on 4.0, the jailbrake worked, and I was even able to upgrade some packages on Cydia, and add a repo, but trying to get install*o*us didn't work.

Now, when trying to restore to 3.1.3, it fails, the progress bar won't progress... I'm doing it also alt+clicking since I already have the ipsw.
    I get error 1603 on Mac. After it fails the progress bar screen still shows on the iPhone...

Doing a normal restore (just click on restore, not alt+click), shows error 1603.

On Windows I get this:
    The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (13). In here I did just click Restore.

It's not as simple downgrading from what I was reading, but my quest has taken me nowhere, I hope to get some enlightment in here...
    Last edited by morgue; 2010-06-01 at 07:03 AM.
    2010-06-01 06:18 AM
    Search for iRecovery....Use that, its because your baseband is newer than your firmware... iRecover -s then fsboot to get your phone up and running.
    2010-06-01 06:22 AM
    Use quikpwn to get it out of restore mode
    2010-06-01 06:26 AM
    Search for iRecovery....Use that, its because your baseband is newer than your firmware... iRecover -s then fsboot to get your phone up and running.
    This hasn't exactly worked for me...
    iRecovery: Get Out iPhone from Recovery Mode Loop on Restart | iPhone

When it shows the connect to itunes screen I can run iRecovery -s
    I do get the console going, it shows a bunch of info, then:
    Boot Failure Count: 0 Panic Fail Count: 3
    image validation failed but untrusted images are permitted
    Enteing recovery mode, starting command prompt
    I've tried different combinations here... this time I did:
    (Recovery) iPhone$ setenv auto-boot true
    $ fsboot
    $ save env
    $ exit

Then restarted my phone, now it's back on the Apple with the not spinning "loading icon" screen on it. After a while it restarts itself, shows Apple logo again for about 2 minutes, then the "loading icon" (not spinning, just over the Apple logo), and this loops...

If you can suggest something else with iRecovery let me know...

Both my baseband and firmware were from OS 4.0 beta 4.

Use quikpwn to get it out of restore mode
    I'll need a link for this, I can't find where to download one that will work with 3.1.2+

ahaaaaaaaaaaaa

got it! I was entering RECOVERY mode, not DFU mode
    this is the video that best explains how to do it imo
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Put an iPhone Into DFU Mode

then just followed these
    Downgrade iPhone 3G OS 4.0 to 3.1.3 or lower | jailbreak

cheers
    Last edited by morgue; 2010-06-02 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-02 04:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD