Hey guys,

I've been jailbreaking/unlocking for a while now by just reading and not really seeking out any help. I'm stumped now, I guess with all of the new stuff implemented by Apple it can get confusing on what you can/can't do.

Anyways, I have an iPhone 3Gs 3.1.2 tethered 5.11.07. I'm looking to sell the phone and I'm interested in jailbreaking + unlocking it that doesn't require the tethering. Which I'm sure is a turn off to people looking to buy it, or a complete headache in itself when someone who buys it realizes it's tethered and has no idea what the **** to do.

My question is, can I reinstall 3.1.2 or even 3.1.3 that would include Jailbreaking and Unlocking but not being tethered? I ask because I've read on some other site that if it's tethered it means you have the new bootrom and you're screwed. But I just want to be entirely sure.

Thanks
    2010-06-03 06:54 PM
    Since you want it to remain unlocked it will have to remain tethered. The only way to get around the tethered option is to update to 3.1.3 in iTunes and jailbreak with Spirit which means the baseband will be updated losing your unlock, but making it untethered. You could hold out for 4.0 though which has promised to bring an unlockable baseband which means you could update and have both:unlocked, untethered.
    2010-06-03 07:01 PM
    Since you want it to remain unlocked it will have to remain tethered. The only way to get around the tethered option is to update to 3.1.3 in iTunes and jailbreak with Spirit which means the baseband will be updated losing your unlock, but making it untethered. You could hold out for 4.0 though which has promised to bring an unlockable baseband which means you could update and have both:unlocked, untethered.
    Thanks for the reply CaptainChaos. You wouldn't happen to have a rough ETA on the 4.0 option would you?
    2010-06-03 07:11 PM
    When they drop the new iPhone this month Then the devs will polish their jailbreaks. They usually do it in an amazing time frame.
    2010-06-03 07:15 PM
    When they drop the new iPhone this month Then the devs will polish their jailbreaks. They usually do it in an amazing time frame.
    Shows how much I've been keeping up with the times. I knew Apple was working on a new one, and I saw the pictures, didn't realize it was going to be so soon though. Do you think selling this phone after the release of the new one would diminish its value? For example, a week after it's release? Probably no effect?

Thanks again.
    2010-06-03 07:22 PM
    AT&T has helped you to keep a good value on your phone by killing the people off that would sign up for a new iphone, wait a month, and then cancel the contract in able to get a new phone cheaper than the full cost of the phone. AT&T has raised their early termination fees substantially which closed that hole. You should be fine as long as you do offer it as an unlocked phone. I intend to pay full price for the new one though so that I don't have to sign another 2 year deal
    2010-06-03 07:30 PM
    I'm trying to just update to 3.1.3 from a tethered 3.1.2 3gs. I don't care if it's jailbroken or not. Everytime I try to update iTunes gives me this:

The iPhone "Blah's iPhone" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (1602).
    Any advice?
    2010-06-04 06:12 AM
    @Doug-

If you really want the untethered jailbreak while keeping the ability to unlock, you can consider the method described here: Preventing baseband update as a last-ditch effort [iPhone Dev Team]

After the restore, you'd need to activate it with an official ATT sim, but afterwards, it'll be jailbreakable and unlockable.
    2010-06-04 07:06 PM
    2010-06-04 08:43 PM
    Guys is it possible to remove blackrain from 3.1.2 device without updating it ?
    Then jailbreaking it with spirit as it can jailbreak 3.1.2 and then using blacksnow rc2 to unlock it???
    N I m a complete noob . so jus frgt it if m wrong
    2010-06-05 05:47 PM
    Guys is it possible to remove blackrain from 3.1.2 device without updating it ?
    Then jailbreaking it with spirit as it can jailbreak 3.1.2 and then using blacksnow rc2 to unlock it???
    N I m a complete noob . so jus frgt it if m wrong
    No, you can't undo the jailbreak. You'll need to restore to use Spirit.
    2010-06-06 12:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD