Before we start, let me say that I am computer literate, but not a geek, by any means: I am trying to restore my 3gs iPhone back to it's factory settings (purchased in January of this year and getting buggy from the jailbreak).

I downloaded the 3.1.2 file from this website's link. The problem is, it's just a bunch of zipped files and when I downloaded winzip I don't know which file to unzip, or how to go about it.

Is there instructions anywhere for all this? What I mean is, once I figure out to unzip these files, then what do I do to get Itunes to get it onto my iPhone?

Is there an easier way to go about this?

And should I download the latest Itunes first?

Please help! I only have dial-up and can't get to the internet without my beloved hacked iPhone!

2010-06-06 01:51 AM
    Frist of all i would suggest downloading 7-zip from typing 7zip in on google it should come up as the second one. then right clic the zipped file and click extract here.

BUT this way is very long and complicated. i suggest that you, either wait a day or two as O.S will probbly be announced tomorow at WWDC, or upgrade to the latest firmware through itunes, and then jailbreak upgrading like that is a much complicated-er way.
    2010-06-06 12:08 PM
    Don't worry. You can't restore to 3.1.2 anyway unless you have your shsh backed up on Saurick's server, which I'm assuming you don't. If all you need is a jailbreak update to 3.1.3 and use Spirit to jailbreak.

If you need an unlock too you're best off leaving your firmware alone and toughing it out for the next couple weeks until the next unlock is released.
    2010-06-06 12:26 PM
    When downloading firmware, use Firefox. The file you download is supposed to be an .ipsw file and not a .zip file. Browsers other than Firefox have a tendency to change the file into zips.
    2010-06-06 04:26 PM
    I started another post re: this and it hasn't come up yet. First thank you all for your responses.

Next, I found my bootrom - it's 000003C1060C9DF6. I read that you can only use Spirit to jailbreak older bootroms? Is it safe to jailbreak my 3GS?

DD
    2010-06-07 01:54 AM
    That's not your bootrom. Your bootrom is a 4 or 5 digit number. On a 3GS it's either 359.3 or 359.3.2. While I've never used it I'm pretty sure Spirit will jailbreak any 3GS regardless of bootrom.

This is for jailbreaking ONLY. If you need to unlock it for use with T-Mobile or some other unofficial carrier it's a different story.
    2010-06-07 03:37 AM
    Thanks, I found it. Downloaded a program called usbview thru a previous post here:

http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...ecid-shsh.html

I didn't need it though. Restored phone to 3.1.3, jailbroke it with Spirit and downloaded mywi. Worked like a charm, thanks everyone.
    2010-06-07 04:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD