User Tag List

Hello,

I'm not sure how to go about this, but I've got my 3GS jailbroken on 3.1.2 - and I want to sell it right after I buy the iPhone 4. Trouble is, the buyer wants the phone unlocked. I don't think I'll have any problem unlocking it, but I want to keep all my data (text messages, data from apps, etc.) I do not care about keeping anything post-jailbreak. I can reconfigure after I jailbreak 4.0 when the new tool is released.

My concern is that I will backup my 3GS on firmware version 3.1.2, then try to restore onto OS4, and this just won't work. I'm starting to think that in order to accomplish what I want, I'll need to upgrade to OS4 on the 3GS, and that would drive down the price I can ask for when selling the phone.

Does anyone know how this could logistically work out for me? I can't part with my data... digital packrat. And I don't think I can upgrade this phone to OS4 and still promise to deliver the phone to the buyer on release day.

Thanks!
    2010-06-09 07:16 PM
    I don't understand... you're worried that your apps and stuff won't carry over to the next iphone? You can backup and sync in iTunes and then when you set up the new iPhone, restore a backup of your previous one to it (it will give you the option, restore a previous backup or setup as new iPhone).

Rightclick on your iphone in the left pane to get the backup option (and restore option).

You will need to sync your apps as well, as they won't be saved on a backup.

As extra protection and ease, use an Google login as an exchange account to OTA sync contacts/calendar.
    2010-06-09 07:39 PM
    Yeah, I'm worried that since I'll likely need to leave the phone on 3.1.2 and the iPhone will ship with OS4 that the restore option in iTunes won't work. So effectively, I'm not sure that restoring a backup from a 3.1.2 jailbroken device will accurately transfer to a 4.0 non-jailbroken device. Can't remember if my apps themselves will lose their data, but most of the ones I want to save have online backup capabilities anyway. And you're right. I've had the Google contacts thing going since day 1.

Your description of the process is sounding familiar though - last year I wasn't JB'ed though - so this year there is a little extra confusion.
    Last edited by dtrobson099; 2010-06-09 at 07:49 PM.
    2010-06-09 07:44 PM
    Yeah, I'm worried that since I'll likely need to leave the phone on 3.1.2 and the iPhone will ship with OS4 that the restore option in iTunes won't work. Maybe I'm paranoid?
    It will work. I upgraded my 3G[s] from 3.1.3 (or 3.1.2, can't remember) and then selected the restore backup that I made right before upgrading, and everything was there... SMS, call history, email accounts, everything.

I've gone from 2G, 3G, and 3G[s] and not had a problem. You can use some jailbreak tools to backup everything manually as well. (there is one that backs up app store app data)
    Last edited by z6joker9; 2010-06-09 at 08:10 PM.
    2010-06-09 07:54 PM
    Just like every other major firmware change.. apps must be updated for 4.0 compatibility so it won't do you any good to save all your 3.1.2 apps b/c most or all of them won't load on 4.0 yet.
    2010-06-09 07:54 PM
    Thanks, everyone. Come to think of it, I don't know that I need to back up my apps after all. Grocery Gadget, GymGoal, LoseIt, and RunKeeper all back up to a website - GolfCard backs up to a file on my desktop, and beyond that, I don't really need to save stuff from other apps. Probably not that important to keep the record of how many Euchre games I won or the most strikes in a game for 10-Pin Shuffle.

Strange feeling coming over me - sanity? Nah. I'm still getting way too excited about this.
    2010-06-09 08:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD