Ok guys, so I've looked and looked on this site but have had no luck in figuring out my question. I have a friend who has a 3GS with version 3.1 and firmware 4.26.07 I believe. Don't quote me on the firmware but I figure it doesn't make that much of a difference that I can't ask this question. The phone has never been jailbroken nor has it ever been upgraded.

My question now, is it possible for them to jailbreak and unlock this phone as is? Or would they need to upgrade the software to a different version before doing so? Or is it impossible now for them to do it? If this is possible, can someone link me with instructions how or just tell me which programs I'd have to set up for them. Thanks for the help.

On a side note, if this question has been asked already, sorry, I couldn't find it anywhere. But can you just link me to the post in which I can find the answer. Again, I have been searching for the answer for a while now all over but had no luck. Thanks.
    2010-06-13 08:27 PM
    If you're sure he has firmware 3.1 and baseband 04.26.08 then it is already jailbroken as having that combination means he got it by using a custom firmware.

I have a hard time believing you're not getting any search results with "iphone 3gs 3.1 jailbreak".
    2010-06-14 01:54 AM
    Ok. Like I said, I wasn't sure about the firmware. It might actually be the 5.11.07 but either way, it has never been jailbroken. So whatever came out originally with version 3.1, they still are using. As for actually asking my question, I am unsure as to whether or not any of the jailbreaks still work for version 3.1 or not. I have done a search, as a matter of fact, do it yourself with what you just typed. I never said I didn't find results, I just said I never found an answer to my question. I am still searching as I've been waiting for a response, but all I am finding are mainly results stating about 3.1.X, not just straight 3.1.

I have been searching through blackra1n but all I am seeing is it works for 3.1.2, and as I don't want to ruin their phone, I don't want to use any program until I know it works on 3.1 specifically. Thanks for the info anyways.
    2010-06-14 02:20 AM
    It would be less strenuous if you actually knew the exact numbers firmware and baseband wise. There are different tools for different versions so it does matter. It being a 3GS, it is difficult to restore without SHSH files backed up or creating custom firmwares and so forth,
    2010-06-14 02:43 AM
    Ok guys, so I've looked and looked on this site but have had no luck in figuring out my question. I have a friend who has a 3GS with version 3.1 and firmware 4.26.07 I believe. Don't quote me on the firmware but I figure it doesn't make that much of a difference that I can't ask this question. The phone has never been jailbroken nor has it ever been upgraded.

My question now, is it possible for them to jailbreak and unlock this phone as is? Or would they need to upgrade the software to a different version before doing so? Or is it impossible now for them to do it? If this is possible, can someone link me with instructions how or just tell me which programs I'd have to set up for them. Thanks for the help.

On a side note, if this question has been asked already, sorry, I couldn't find it anywhere. But can you just link me to the post in which I can find the answer. Again, I have been searching for the answer for a while now all over but had no luck. Thanks.
    Since you said the Iphone has not been jailbroken before, you will not have your 3.1.2 shsh saved so you can't restore to 3.1.2 and therefore you can't use custom firmware either simply becsause it has to be jailbroken prior to using custom firmware. You cannot restore to 3.1.3 either because you need the unlock. To summarize you are screwed on this iphone. I suggest you do nothing now and wait for the new unlock when it comes out.
    2010-06-14 02:54 AM
    I have 3.1.3 firmware 5.12.01, any direction with that firmware?
    2010-06-14 02:55 AM
    I have 3.1.3 firmware 5.12.01, any direction with that firmware?
    Sorry, you can't
    2010-06-14 03:00 AM
    I can't jailbreak my phone?
    2010-06-14 03:02 AM
    You can jailbreak with spirit, but not unlock it.

Thanks for the help. Yeow202, thanks for that as it was what I expected but just wasn't sure what was up. Appreciate the help everyone.
    2010-06-14 03:50 AM
    You can jailbreak with spirit, but not unlock it.

Thanks for the help. Yeow202, thanks for that as it was what I expected but just wasn't sure what was up. Appreciate the help everyone.
    If you're sure it's 3.1 then blackra1n will jailbreak it. 3.1 also means that it's likely that the phone has the old bootrom meaning that once it's jailbroken, you can use a custom firmware with a version of your choosing.
    2010-06-15 01:11 AM
    Seriously? I will let them know. I just wasn't sure because it just kept saying 3.1.2 and nor 3.1. And yes I am 100% positive that it is just 3.1 and I know for sure it is an unlockable bootrom as well. Thanks for that info. I'll let them know and they can do what they wish.
    2010-06-15 01:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD