User Tag List

I am wondering if i should use blackrain or spirit to jb? Also with the new ios4 coming out should i just wait to jb until than. Can anyone let me know. thanks in advance.
    2010-06-13 11:29 PM
    Depends on what firmware and carrier youre on. It would help greatly if you specified.

FW 3.1.2 can be jailbroken by Spirit or Blackra1n. Spirit requires activated phone meaning if the phone is a US version you will need an AT&T SIM to bypass activation.

Spirit works on 3.1.3 and provides untethered jailbreaks for 3GS phones.

3GS phones with the new bootrom will want to use Spirit. Old bootrom phones can use Blackra1n if on 3.1.2 for an untethered jailbreak as they are not affected by the tethered issue.

Blackra1n will not work on any device on 3.1.3.

Waiting till 4.0 to jailbreak is not necessary as you can easily do so now. But you can if you want.
    2010-06-13 11:52 PM
    Depends on what firmware and carrier youre on. It would help greatly if you specified.

FW 3.1.2 can be jailbroken by Spirit or Blackra1n. Spirit requires activated phone meaning if the phone is a US version you will need an AT&T SIM to bypass activation.

Spirit works on 3.1.3 and provides untethered jailbreaks for 3GS phones.

3GS phones with the new bootrom will want to use Spirit. Old bootrom phones can use Blackra1n if on 3.1.2 for an untethered jailbreak as they are not affected by the tethered issue.

Blackra1n will not work on any device on 3.1.3.

Waiting till 4.0 to jailbreak is not necessary as you can easily do so now. But you can if you want.
    I am on att. I am not sure of the firmware but it is a 3G and i got it last july. I can jailbreak 4.0 now? I thought you have to wait until the ios software is available or is it already?
    2010-06-14 12:36 AM
    I think what Annie meant was that there's no reason to wait with jailbreaking since you asked about waiting or doing it now.
    2010-06-14 12:50 AM
    Righto whatever firmware you are on right now you can jailbreak it. 4.0 is in beta best not to mess with it if youre a noob.

PS you shouldnt be jailbreaking if you dont know what firmware you are on. Figure out what firmware youre on, then try something like jailbreaking.

If you dont know where to look i would suggest checking your settings and about section...
    2010-06-14 01:10 AM
    Righto whatever firmware you are on right now you can jailbreak it. 4.0 is in beta best not to mess with it if youre a noob.

PS you shouldnt be jailbreaking if you dont know what firmware you are on. Figure out what firmware youre on, then try something like jailbreaking.

If you dont know where to look i would suggest checking your settings and about section...
    checked and my firmware is 3.1.3... so should i just use spirit to jb? You wrote its used for 3gs and i have a 3g so lmk. thanks in advance.
    Last edited by southpole12; 2010-06-14 at 01:27 AM.
    2010-06-14 01:23 AM
    Then use Spirit

Spirit for 3GS allows for untethered JB. Thats just a note. Spirit will work on any device.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-06-14 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-14 01:36 AM
    Then use Spirit

Spirit for 3GS allows for untethered JB. Thats just a note. Spirit will work on any device.
    ok what do you think about blackrain, snowbreeze etc?
    2010-06-14 02:01 AM
    I am wondering if i should use blackrain or spirit to jb? Also with the new ios4 coming out should i just wait to jb until than. Can anyone let me know. thanks in advance.
    Why don't you use Redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak your 3G 3.1.3 so that you can use Custom Firmware for future updates, follow this link to do the jailbreak

How to Jailbreak 3.1.3 iPhone 3G & iPod Touch 1G/2G Windows & OS X
    2010-06-14 02:11 AM
    ok what do you think about blackrain, snowbreeze etc?
    Neither of those will jailbreak a device on 3.1.3
    2010-06-15 12:13 AM
    Neither of those will jailbreak a device on 3.1.3
    Thanks for the help i justd spirit bc redsnow kept giving me an error message. Spirit was really easy too.
    2010-06-15 04:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD