Ok let me start at the beginning...

I have a friend who is no longer using her 8GB iPhone 3G or her phone plan.

She sold the iPhone to me for a very modest price.

I do not use AT&T nor do I have a data plan from my provider.

I figured I could use it as an iPod touch with a camera, earpiece, GPS, and built-in microphone.

I dislike Apple, but I figured an iPhone would be a good start toward a better relationship. And I purchased it as a favor to a friend who needed the money.

I downloaded iTunes, downloaded a bunch of free apps. Played with it for a while, then I decided to jailbreak. I used spirit to break my iPhone 3G.

I figure without a data plan I can use it as a fancy iPod Touch when I have Wi-Fi.

Now I also have her SIM card that is useless.

Here are some of my problems/dilemmas:

1. With the SIM card in, it looks for activation, then searches for a signal, and tells me that no signal is available. With the SIM card out it is constantly telling me that no SIM card is installed. Is there any way to disable all this and which is better on battery life? After all, I only want to use it as an iPod touch in an iPhone body.

*POST EDITED: OUT OF RESPECT FOR FORUM RULES*

3. I have read that the iPhone 3G has a GPS chip, hell it says so on the box. Although when I go into an app that uses my location, it turns up my parent's house in NJ, I am in AL. This iPhone has never been to NJ. So how can I enable and use the GPS chip for geocaching and directions and stuff?

Other than that using it has been pretty nifty. I use e-mail and many of the free apps from the store. Looking forward to a long and happy ownership once I get all these bugs worked out. Please, I haven't worked with an apple product since elementary school!

I also figure going to apple and asking for help is out of the question, since it is a second hand iPhone and it is also jailbroken, lol!
    Last edited by LociceroA; 2010-06-16 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Content fix
    2010-06-16 07:25 AM
    You need to put in a sim card for the message not to show, it doesn't have to have any service on it. Your Iphone has to be activated or hactivated for the "waiting for activation screen " not to show up too. As to the apps you got from Internet, sorry I can't help you because piracy is not allowed in this forum.
    2010-06-16 07:31 AM
    So if I google hactivation something should come up about removing those annoying messages?

and I guess another question is should I have jail broke with something other than spirit?

and that still don't answer anything about GPS.
    Last edited by LociceroA; 2010-06-16 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-16 02:37 PM
    I've heard that if you jailbreak your iPhone with redsn0w it takes care of that problem. My iPhone's activated, so I personally wouldn't know. It might be tethered though, which means you'd need to run redsn0w everytime you shut it off or it dies.
    2010-06-16 03:13 PM
    I've heard that if you jailbreak your iPhone with redsn0w it takes care of that problem. My iPhone's activated, so I personally wouldn't know. It might be tethered though, which means you'd need to run redsn0w everytime you shut it off or it dies.
    3g phones are never a tethered jailbreak, only 3gs with new iBoot are (before spirit that is) tethered
    2010-06-16 05:36 PM
    I thought i told him that already in his own post... Lol -.-
    2010-06-16 06:05 PM
    You did, I was clearing it up for the O.P. in case he wasn't aware
    2010-06-16 06:07 PM
    I know -.- i was just saying, shouldve checked his own thread before telling something inaccurate to someone else. Lol its all good. Glad its all cleared up then.
    2010-06-16 07:44 PM
    One of the reasons i used spirit is because it was unteathered. Teathered jailbreaking seems like more of a pain.

So there are other ways of jailbreaking that also activate... Any suggestions on a better jailbreak?
    2010-06-16 10:56 PM
    As stated earlier by myself ad Anniex423, the 3g is never a tethered jailbreak, if you are still on 3.1.2 you can use restore to an official 3.1.2 and use redsn0w 0.9.2 to jailbreak and blacksn0w rc2 to unlock (if needed) if you are updated to official 3.1.3 then there is no unlock available for that baseband

Also if you are still on 3.1.2 then you can also use blackra1n to jailbreak
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-06-17 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-17 05:47 AM
    Well she gave it to me updated to 3.1.3...

and my baseband (for as long as I have had it) has been 05.12.01
    Last edited by LociceroA; 2010-06-17 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-17 06:43 AM
    If you need an unlock then you are out of luck, if all you need is a jailbreak then you can use either spirit of redsn0w, if you use redsn0w then you will also need a 3.1.2 ipsw to jailbreak, in iTunes use shift+restore and point redsn0w at the 3.1.2 ipsw even though you are jailbreaking 3.1.3

Scratch the shift+restore in iTunes, that's only if you are trying to restore to 3.1.2, sorry
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-06-17 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-17 07:14 AM
    i guess ill deal with those messages for now.

what about my gps problems? any ideas?
    2010-06-17 07:44 AM
    I am no help on that issue, sorry
    2010-06-17 07:45 AM
    Thanks anyway!

Oh, wait one more thing!

I am reading up on Sn0wbreeze to jailbreak and then ultrasn0w to unlock. I would have to reset my Iphone, but it don't really matter to me.

Do you think that might work?
    2010-06-17 07:57 AM
    No, your baseband has already been updated to 05.12.01 and restoring to a custom firmware (or any firmware for that matter) will not downgrade it to an unlockable baseband
    2010-06-17 08:15 AM
    No. Your baseband is already updated. You cant revert it. Sn0wbreeze works for those who preserved the baseband already.
    2010-06-17 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD