Hey guys, this is a great community so I figured I should ask my question in here.

I'm in the process of selling my iPhone 3GS so I took out my SIM card and put it in my fathers old iPhone 2G which he hasn't used in over a year.

His FW = 2.2.1
    His Baseband = 04.05.04_G

When I put my SIM card in, I get a "Different SIM detected - Please Connect to iTunes" -- I did a google search on this but was unable to find a definite solution. Any suggestions on how to get this fixed would be great.

I'm curious, being on FW 3.0+ would also be significantly better than being on 2.2.1. Is it possible to upgrade my firmware, keep the option for an unlock and not have to deal with the "Different SIM detected" issue?

Last tidbit of info: I was able to use QuickPwn 2.2.1 to atleast get the device Jailbroken, I was wondering if anyone knew any apps or repo's that could assist me in fixing this problem.

Thanks again everyone for the replies! (And good luck to all trying to get the new iPhone 4)
    2010-06-17 05:17 AM
    I would assume you are getting that because it was activated with his old sim and you put a different sim in, you can always restore to 3.1.3 and activate with the sim you just put in it
    2010-06-17 05:22 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I could do this, which is something I've thought about, but then I would lose the option for an unlock. Is there anyway to salvage that?
    2010-06-17 05:27 AM
    2G phones cant lose unlock. The baseband will always remain what it is now.
    2010-06-17 05:29 AM
    2g can be unlocked on any firmware so no worries there
    2010-06-17 05:29 AM
    So you're suggesting I should just go through the process of upgrading my firmware to 3.1.3 and using sn0wbreeze to jailbreak phone?
    2010-06-17 06:07 AM
    Sn0wbreeze to create custom fw first then shift+restore to the custom fw.

On a 2G you could just use redsn0w which automatically unlocks the phone for you.

Either way works, its up to you. Sn0wbreeze works a little differently than most jailbreak tools.
    2010-06-17 06:43 AM
    Hey guys, thanks a million for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Just a heads up for everyone else, I used this guide here as well: Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 2G OS 3.1.3 with Redsn0w | jailbreak
    2010-06-18 04:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD