I've read across the web, but only got confused and would like to get a straight answer.
    My iphone is currently running 3.1.3 and is jailbroken using Spirit.
    Now, considering I'm willing to give up the JB until it would be released for OS 4, can I simply update my iphone using Itunes 9.2, like a regular iphone that was never JB'ed? Is there anything special I need to do, or simply click on update when possible?

I've read that Itunes 9.2 doesn't work with spirit, and I'll get an infinite loop, but I've also read elsewhere that I should be fine. I'm confused, what's the truth?

Thanks in advance a lot to anyone that took the time to read and answer.
    2010-06-21 02:37 PM
    I am also interested to get a response to this.
    2010-06-21 03:10 PM
    I just went for it and lost my jailbreak. Almost all of the icons from the jailbroken state were still there, but they were non-functional. I haven't tried to re-jailbreak yet.

Before Spirit, I had a tethered jailbreak.
    2010-06-21 08:10 PM
    let me understand. I know that you can't jailbreak after upgrading, but did you have the spirit jailbreak before upgrading? If so, did you just upgrade via itunes 9.2 and it worked fine, or did you restore first?
    2010-06-21 08:15 PM
    I was jailbroken using Spirit and running 3.1.3 (or whatever was before 4.0). I upgraded through iTunes 9.2 to 4.0 - all went smoothly. I backed up, but did not do a restore (should I have?) before upgrading. Once 4.0 was running, no more jailbreak.

Phone runs fine (but 4.0 is really no big deal) and all purchased apps and settings transferred seamlessly, just no jailbreak. I think I will give it a few days before trying one of the 4.0 jailbreaks.
    2010-06-21 08:24 PM
    same here running 3.1.3 jailbroken using spirit,updated itunes to 9.2 then did the update iOS 4.0 everything went well
    2010-06-21 08:40 PM
    I was jailbroken using Spirit and running 3.1.3 (or whatever was before 4.0). I upgraded through iTunes 9.2 to 4.0 - all went smoothly. I backed up, but did not do a restore (should I have?) before upgrading. Once 4.0 was running, no more jailbreak.

Phone runs fine (but 4.0 is really no big deal) and all purchased apps and settings transferred seamlessly, just no jailbreak. I think I will give it a few days before trying one of the 4.0 jailbreaks.
    Same here. Best to wait for the official release.
    2010-06-21 09:03 PM
    I've been on 4.0 for quite a long time now I went through beta 1 to beta 4 to ios 4 gm and i jailbroke them all the time I just went through videos on how to do it and there's a spreadsheet on what workes on the jailbroken ios 4 and to say for a 15 year old I've done quite well
    2010-06-21 11:47 PM
    Okay so I know this will sound crazy to all of you. I have a 3GS running 3.1.3 with baseband 5.11.07 UNTETHERED. I got it to the 3.1.3 without upgrading the baseband by PULLING the usb cord out during a standard Itunes update. As SOON as soon as the iphone screen changes from preparing to updating, I know it sounds insane. After pulling the plug I got the usual Itunes restore screen. I then used the spirit JB method and ultrasn0w BAM. I'm going to try updating to 4.0 and using the plug pulling method then spirit and ultrasn0w. My theory is that pulling the plug at just the right time writes the firmware but not the baseband. I initially found this in a post after searching for hours when my 3.1.2 5.11.07 3GS took a dive and was stuck in restore mode after running out of battery life.
    2010-06-24 07:45 PM
    Make sure you make a video while performing this method, we are curious..LOL
    2010-06-24 07:50 PM
    You used sn0w? I've had poor luck with it and keep reading similar results from others. I just downloaded a custom 4.0 IPSW as well, perhaps try that first.

haha I really should have made a video the first time but I was sure I was screwed and no longer cared about further bricking of my phone. No vid cam set-up at the moment but suppose I could set one up. Will keep ya posted.
    Last edited by SynAck6; 2010-06-24 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-24 08:00 PM
    You used sn0w? I've had poor luck with it and keep reading similar results from others. I just downloaded a custom 4.0 IPSW as well, perhaps try that first.
    If you want a copy, i can give it to you over yahoo or msn messneger.
    2010-06-24 08:01 PM
    that would be excellent! lemme see yahoo is [email protected] haha yes my SN is an odd one from HS.
    2010-06-24 08:14 PM
    im running iphone on 3.1.3 spirit jailbreak if i update to OS4 can i just jailbreak again?>
    2010-06-24 08:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD