Hey everyone, please help. I am about to rip my hair out.

I have a 3GS with the old bootrom that was upgraded to iOS4. I have my SHSHs stored on Cydia going back to 3.1.

I downgraded to 3.1.2 fine, and then used redsn0w to JB to custom 3.1.2. I then used pwnagetool to create a custom 4.0 FW and upgraded. I have done this 3 times now, and no matter what I do my iphone has no carrier logo and no service. When I go into the general settings of my phone, it doesnt even list my phone number. It was synced and backed up with iTunes just fine. What do I need to do?
    2010-06-23 01:23 PM
    are you having to unlock to use your carrier?? hactivate etc etc??

have you tried going to 3.1.3, Spiriting, 4.0'ing, then redsn0wing with the 4.0.ipsw

works fine for me,,,,,
    If I've helped you remember to say
    2010-06-23 01:41 PM

have you tried going to 3.1.3, Spiriting, 4.0'ing, then redsn0wing with the 4.0.ipsw

works fine for me,,,,,
    Carrier is AT&T. Have never had to hacktivate anything in the past.

I followed the directions it seemed many others were using to downgrade to 3.1.2 and then to get to custom 4.0. I saw a few threads where people were saying not to use Spirit at all if you needed to upgrade to 4.0???
    2010-06-23 01:45 PM
    i must be special, mind you i did read 3.1.3 JB through spirit is going over to 4.0 and working fine after some sn0w action, anything is worth a shot
    If I've helped you remember to say
    2010-06-23 01:55 PM
    I just created a new custom IPSW and tried again. Still shows my number is "unknown" in my phone properties. I dont understand.
    2010-06-23 03:09 PM
    The only thing I can think of that you're doing is not unchecking the box "active the phone", you have to be in expert mode when making the ipsw. When you get to the screen where it gives you some options, double click the "General" section, and you'll see that "Activate the phone" is checked. If you have a sim card and you activate it through itunes this has to be UNCHECKED! It's a mistake I've made in the past. Hope it helps.
    2010-06-23 04:40 PM
    luckily youre getting that far. I am not new to jailbreaking and the last time my phone was jb was 3.1.2, so i have my blobs and all that. I cant get the new pwnage tool to work for anything, it just says wrong firmware bundle used no matter what firmware i choose, tried downgrade to 3.1.2, no luch either, keep getting 1600 and 1604 errors. man this is annoying
     White iPhone 3Gs - 32Gb 
    2010-06-23 04:45 PM
    I've got the exact same problem right now, have tried 2 IPSWs (neither of which i made myself because i dont own a mac) and both have given this problem.

I dont know if the "Activate" option was checked, but i am using a UK iPhone (originally locked to O2, but now officially unlocked)

When i install an official firmware the first thing it does in iTunes is note that my phone has been "Successfully unlocked". On 4.0 this doesnt seem to happen and i get no signal.
    2010-06-23 07:40 PM

works fine for me,,,,,
    will not work on a 3GS only the 3G
    2010-06-23 07:46 PM
    I had the same problem. Unchecking "Activate Phone" in expert mode when building the custom firmware solved it.
    2010-06-23 11:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD