Hi, I used to have error (2), but TheBressMan (Sorry, forgot your name ) had a guide how to do it without the error to upgrade form 3.1.2 to 4.0, and it WORKED!

This is specifically for iPhone 3GS, old bootrom users who have their SHSH blobs for 3.1.2 on file.

I was having some pretty severe difficulties putting sn0wbreeze'd iOS4 IPSWs on my iPhone 3GS (I was basically getting error 2 every time).

This is how I got it working:
    1. Use saurik's server and iTunes 9.2 to restore iPhone to 3.1.2 stock firmware. You will get error 1015 and the iPhone will display the recovery screen.
    2. Use blackra1n to jailbreak the 3.1.2 firmware. The iPhone will start up as normal.
    3. Download the CrispyTech iOS4 firmware (made with PwnageTool 4.0.1) for either official or unofficial carriers from Download Custom iOS 4 Firmware for iPhone 3GS 3G [IPSW] | CrispyTech.
    4. Shift + click Restore in iTunes 9.2 and try restoring to this firmware. You may or may not get error 1611.
    5. If you get error 1611, shorten the name of the CrispyTech IPSW file and then try again.

At that point I got no errors at all and have a successfully jailbroken iPhone 3GS. Hope this helps

Credits to him!

EDIT : Sorry, forgot the link. http://www.crispytech.com/2010/06/23...e-3gs-3g-ipsw/
    2010-06-26 03:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD