i haven't done a jailbreak since the 2G, so i'm a bit baffled by all the different information here.

bought a 3GS off a friend. has 4.0 on it. previously had it jailbroken with blackra1n, but restored the phone before he gave me to me.

am i one of the people that are SOL? i'm a bit confused with the info on whether or not i can, as i don't know how to find out if the SHSH blobs were stored.

if not, what's the best way for me to jailbreak and unlock?
    2010-06-28 03:00 AM
    You're in luck, you can grab your SHSH blobs with TinyUmbrella.

Follow my steps here: http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...ml#post5315739

Use TinyUmbrella to see if it has SHSH blobs on file for 3.1.2. If that fails, then check if it has blobs for 3.1.3. Either way, save them then click "Start TSS server".

Then, follow this guide: Downgrade iOS 4 iPhone 3GS, 3G to iPhone 3.1.3 / 3.1.2 [How to Guide] | Redmond Pie
    (SKIP THE PART IN THAT GUIDE WHERE IT SAYS TO EDIT YOUR HOSTS FILE. TinyUmbrella did it automatically).

If you downgraded to 3.1.2, simply use blackra1n to jailbreak.
    If you downgraded to 3.1.3, use Spirit to jailbreak. Although, if you use Spirit, you have to do the following complicated list of steps to be able to upgrade to jailbroken iOS4: IOS 4 jaibreak for Spirit users with old bootroom

Now, you can upgrade to a jailbroken iOS 4 with PwnageTool 4 (Mac), or Sn0wbreeze (PC).
    PwnageTool Guide: Jailbreak iOS 4 with PwnageTool 4.0 / 4.01 [How to Guide] | Redmond Pie
    Sn0wbreeze guide: Jailbreak iOS 4 with Sn0wbreeze [Custom Firmware Windows] | Redmond Pie

If you did it right, you should be running a jailbroken iOS 4 on your 3Gs!
    I did all the above steps myself so I can confirm that it worked well for me.
    Last edited by JoeyChestnut; 2010-06-28 at 04:56 AM.
    2010-06-28 04:47 AM
    so Pwnage can only be used after a downgrade to 3.1.2 and a jailbreak (or 3.1.3)?

i'll have my hands full tonight i guess. may just wait for a true OS4 JB.
    2010-06-28 02:19 PM
    so Pwnage can only be used after a downgrade to 3.1.2 and a jailbreak (or 3.1.3)?

i'll have my hands full tonight i guess. may just wait for a true OS4 JB.
    Correct.

It seems a little complicated, but trust me it'll only take around 10 minutes if you follow the instructions.
    Or you can wait for a true iOS 4 jailbreak, but that might take a while. Your choice!
    2010-06-28 02:37 PM
    does cydia auto-store SHSH blobs or is that something specific the previous owner would have made a point to do?
    2010-06-28 02:58 PM
    Correct.

It seems a little complicated, but trust me it'll only take around 10 minutes if you follow the instructions.
    Or you can wait for a true iOS 4 jailbreak, but that might take a while. Your choice!
    Hey Alli I never jailbroke that phone, it was the other 3gs I have... the black one. But, since I've restored them both, it's like you have a brand new, factory settings phone.. so, I think, i'd try to downgrade the OS to 3.1.2 and then use blackra1n... seems the best/easiest way. I used the pwnage tool to jb my iPod touch, and there were NO problems, whatsoever!
    lemme know how you make out and remember, you can't mess anything up permanently!!!!
    2010-06-28 03:10 PM
    does cydia auto-store SHSH blobs or is that something specific the previous owner would have made a point to do?
    When you run Cydia, one of the first things you see is a message explaing SHSH blobs and a big link that says "Make my life easier! (click here)". After you click that, it will automatically store SHSH blobs from then on. Most people who run Cydia click that, so there's a 99% chance he did (unless he ignored it, for some reason).
    2010-06-28 03:12 PM
    Hey Joey, that phone was never jailbroken... my other one I did...so therefore, that is a factory - like phone, it's about 6-8 months old. (I keep dropping them in the toilet, or breaking the screens...) so, that's likely the new bootroom, but, then again, I haven't checked on that...
    2010-06-28 03:15 PM
    unfortunately it looks like he didn't JB the phone he gave me... he did it to his other one. i'll be just attempting a downgrade to 3.1.2 and going from there.
    2010-06-28 03:17 PM
    You can't downgrade a 3GS without the SHSH blobs saved.
    2010-06-28 03:19 PM
    so there's literally no way for me to currently JB this phone then?
    2010-06-28 03:22 PM
    Nope, not until the new jailbreak program is released.
    2010-06-28 05:31 PM
    thanks. here's hoping it's soon.

hey Simtech, how about unlocking it without JB? possible?
    Last edited by allicatmeow; 2010-06-28 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-28 07:35 PM
    nope, you must jailbreak to unlock.
    2010-06-28 09:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD