I timed my text message load time with a stop watch before and after said "overclock"

It was loading VERY slowly on iOS4 (I have several hundred contacts)

I now notice a 6 second improvement which is alot of time in the long run. Placebo that 8)
    2010-07-08 01:44 AM
    That's not a true benchmark. Stuff like that loads from the storage and ram. Find a way to do a real cpu benchmark and then we'll talk! Play a game like angry birds and see if framerate is any better...I bet it won't be!

THIS IS NOT A DAMN OVERCLOCK! ALL THIS DOES IS KEEP THE CPU ON 100% OF THE TIME. THERE IS NO WAY TO OVERCLOCK THE PHONE. ANYTHING RELATED TO CPU FREQUENCY IS EITHER STORED IN A BIOS OR USES ON-BOARD COMPONENTS TO CLOCK IT!
    2010-07-08 02:44 AM
    That's not a true benchmark. Stuff like that loads from the storage and ram. Find a way to do a real cpu benchmark and then we'll talk! Play a game like angry birds and see if framerate is any better...I bet it won't be!

THIS IS NOT A DAMN OVERCLOCK! ALL THIS DOES IS KEEP THE CPU ON 100% OF THE TIME. THERE IS NO WAY TO OVERCLOCK THE PHONE. ANYTHING RELATED TO CPU FREQUENCY IS EITHER STORED IN A BIOS OR USES ON-BOARD COMPONENTS TO CLOCK IT!
    I play angry birds all the time and the framerate IS better.... Ya u lost a bet.... And the iPhone does not use the CPU at full at most times, not even in a game. So this will FORCE it to run at full.... Many ppl have seen the improvement, as have I.....

I really doubt that...I have searched for overclocking stuff for the iphone for a while, and have never seen anyone measuring with a thermometer their iphone temperature! You kill your own point there and make mine 100%. It tells the CPU what to do in what state! When the phone is playing a game, the CPU is open all the way anyway. All your mod would do is have the CPU run in standby and other power-saving modes, which is pointless and just warms the phone up and kills battery life.
    Yes and the iPhone 3G does not use the CPU fully in any state, so this would force it to in every state.... And really my battery is doing really good.

I timed my text message load time with a stop watch before and after said "overclock"

It was loading VERY slowly on iOS4 (I have several hundred contacts)

I now notice a 6 second improvement which is alot of time in the long run. Placebo that 8)
    See this is proof that it does work... This guy DID test.... For all of you that are saying there are no test, here it is....

It's practically impossible to patch 'all the exploit's' because new changes to hardware/software will lead to new ways to exploit. I mean, take Microsoft, microsoft have been making windows for years, they are STILL patching exploit's.

I don't think there is any such thing as an non-exploitable system.
    Exactly, it is.... There are ways around everything....
    Last edited by iphone?3gs; 2010-07-08 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-07-08 03:48 AM
    Here are some REAL benchmarks. Loading texts is not a benchmark and uses storage, NOT CPU! CPUs calculate numbers, nothing more! I had it "overclocked before", so the time for not being "overclocked" will be after

Not "overclocked":

"Overclocked":

There is a tiny variation in points lending to the favor of the "overclocked" benchmark. Try any CPU benchmark on any device multiple times and you will see the numbers will not be exactly the same every time. This is the real world.
    Last edited by ramicio; 2010-07-08 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-07-08 04:52 AM
    but it still shows it's running at 412MHz.... so isn't that proof this doesn't clock the CPU to 600MHz?

too bad because i'm ready to throw mine into a wall. it's so freakin slow.... chokes and hangs on just about everything i try to do with it.
    2010-07-08 05:03 AM
    As I said before, there is no setting that is stored in a file on the phone's file system that can actually change the CPU speed. There are variable in a plist somewhere that have some numbers, but these are just to report CPU speed to programs like this benchmark app.
    2010-07-08 08:25 AM

I find it hard to believe that this simple rename of a file could put a 3G processor to 3G[S] speeds
    2010-07-08 06:11 PM
    but it still shows it's running at 412MHz.... so isn't that proof this doesn't clock the CPU to 600MHz?

too bad because i'm ready to throw mine into a wall. it's so freakin slow.... chokes and hangs on just about everything i try to do with it.
    like ive said before. this isnt a true overclock it just makes the phone perform at its full potential underclocked.... the iphone is underclocked but is even more underclocked at times.... this will make it perform more than normal
    2010-07-12 08:10 AM
    Here are my screenshots the 143 normal and the 144 after changing file. But whether or not the benchmark only went up one, i for one have seen a huge improvement in loading times, and games after. The rest is up to you guys.... also if you want to play a game that takes a lot then play it in safemode it helps a lot too...
    Attached Thumbnails 3g running slow on iOS 4? Overclock Instructions Here-img_0929-1-.png   3g running slow on iOS 4? Overclock Instructions Here-img_0930-1-.png  
    2010-07-12 08:34 AM
    I have a Iphone 3g on the latest 4.01 firmware. It runs perfectly fine un jailbroken, but as soon as I jailbreak it, it slows down. Apps crash. You can literally see the Memory fading away, its like the Jailbreaking has memory leaks. I used one of the Memery cleaning tools, but as quick as its cleared, (up around the high 40's), it drops down to about 8M, then as soon as it gets to about 6, the GPS stops working, and the Navigation software has to be shut down.

So far I can only say that Jailbreaking on IOS 4.01 is not a good option.

I've tried it twice now, the first time with IOS 4.0 (hopeless), and the second time with IOS 4.01.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else shares the same experience as me.
    2010-07-25 06:14 PM
    Checkin back in here, the "overclock" does not make the phone faster but it will cause it to crash sooner.

Unlock with redsn0w and turn off wallpaper, multi tasking and battery percentage. Use backgrounder *it works better anyway, bosspaper, categories and one of the several battery options. I strongly recommend staying at 3.1.3 I have tried several options including this "overclock" and I noticed so significant change. Apple just wants people to upgrade phones instead of downgrading software...
    2010-07-25 07:22 PM
    I strongly recommend staying at 3.1.3 I have tried several options including this "overclock" and I noticed so significant change. Apple just wants people to upgrade phones instead of downgrading software...
    This all makes sense now, Apple releases an upgrade, that actually make the phone slower, eventually people get sick of it and upgrade to a new iPhone.

I wish I could go back to 3.13 - and still keep my apps.
    2010-07-26 06:25 PM
    You can keep your apps, they can be reinstalled from itunes after the restore, aptbackup will also take care of cydia apps for you, but a iOS4 backup won't work directly on 3.1.3 so you'll need to extract the aptbackup backed up files manually using iPhone Backup Extractor.
    2010-07-26 06:30 PM
    Wallpaper and multitasking are disabled on the 3G. These things weren't available for the 3G phone because Apple saw that it made them slow. I got a 3GS now and it handles everything with ease.
    2010-07-26 06:50 PM
    This debate is still going on?

Delete/disable launch daemons, delete lprojs and disable spotlight search and your phone will be as good as it will get. If not happy then upgrade to a newer model...

http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...spotlight.html
    2010-07-26 07:11 PM
    Many people have found that turning spotlight off speeds up a 3G drastically on iOS4 as it seems to be indexing in the background causing problems. This can be done via settings.
    2010-07-26 07:15 PM
    the 3G has been pretty slow jailbroken since about iOS 3.0 Just sell it and get a 3GS.
    2010-07-26 08:26 PM
    the 3G has been pretty slow jailbroken since about iOS 3.0 Just sell it and get a 3GS.
    I hear you. I'm trying to locate an iPhone 4 at a reasonable price here in Australia - And I hold it in my right hand, so I should be OK.
    2010-07-27 06:54 AM
    [QUOTE=ramicio;5329706]Did they actually measure the temperature with a thermometer in a room that has a stable temperature? If not, then I call placebo! All that file does is tell the CPU what state to be in to whatever the phone is doing. If it is indeed getting warm it is because the CPU is probably fully ON now during standby, which does nothing for performance. I said I also removed launch daemons, which are like system services in Windows. Didn't do a damn thing. My memory usage did not drop at all. The 3g has shown to be a pathetic phone after each firmware update. I should have just got a 2g. Even in the video of original vs 3g vs 4, the original phone is not much slower than the iPhone 4, but the 3g is just pathetic. I think Apple HAD to release to 3gS just to run extra things they wanted to. I can't play any games on my 3g. Even scrolling from page to page (slow or fast) on my home screen is not smooth at all![/QUOTE
    I disagree because I have been battling with a 3G for almost two years now and have learned ways to modify it and be capable of running ios 4 with native wall paper and multitasking with no problem. I do not use any overclocking method. I just remove unused launchdaemons (22) and remove unused language packs, along with a vm app such as imemory enhancer (and I know the potential for a vm mode to shorten the life of the ram disk) and I can enjoy a device that will preform to my expectations. I'm not going to say it is as snappy as a 3GS but I can definitely play all my favorite games and run my device with no qualms. (but I am definitely upgrading to a 4 next February when eligible) lol
    2010-08-20 10:16 AM
    Removed launch daemons didn't do crap for me, and language packs shouldn't do anything for anyone for speed because that's just disk space. Virtual memory is pointless, it's slow. As I said the problem with the slow phones is the GPU. Good luck overclocking that.
    2010-08-20 06:02 PM
41 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.