Morning;
    I recently took the plunge and got a new iphone 3gs. specs are listed below.

iphone 3gs 32gb
    MC model
    new phone-never jailbroken before-this is the 1st attempt to jailbrake this particular phone.
    Itunes version is prior to the 9.2, so NOT using the latest version of Itunes.

I went to use spirit to jailbrake this new phone. I am using the mac os version. All seemed to go well and normal. All the screens that i have seen pop up in tutorial videos came up as normal. Spirit window said jailbrake complete and the graphical screen of the "sunburst" or whatever you want to call it, came up and the progress bar did its thing. At this point is where things went south im thinking. It has been about 90 minutes now and its stuck on that sunburst graphical screen and the swirling circle has been swirling ever since.
    It wont power down, it wont restore in itunes, it wont do anything at this stage.
    So im stumped. I need some assistance on how to get out of this loop and either get back to the original 3.1.3 or upgrade to 4.0 or something so that this phone will function.
    Id prefere a method to allow the jailbrake, but if that isnt possible right now, I'll run with whatever will make this thing function normally.
    Appreciate any assistance.
    Thanks
    Tom
    Last edited by ttlphotography; 2010-06-30 at 04:08 PM.
    2010-06-30 03:56 PM
    u can either try using ireb if stuck in loop. or hold down the power and home button at the same time and it shud power down.
    2010-06-30 04:23 PM
    excellent! the power down deal worked to turn it off. am powering back up now and we'll see at what point its at.
    I'll update shortly.
    appreciate the tip.

seems to now stay stuck on the apple boot logo. Im going to try a restore in itunes and see what that does?
    Last edited by ttlphotography; 2010-06-30 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-30 04:38 PM
    if you can't get it to power on, turn it off, open itunes, plug your phone into your computer and turn it on (if it doesn't automatically) and let it sit there for at least 20 minutes. if it doesn't turn on by then, you may need to put it in dfu mode and restore.

if you are not on itunes 9.2, then i believe it will only allow you to restore to 3.1.3, which is good for you, because you can then try spirit again.
    2010-06-30 04:39 PM
    Restore in itunes only if you can restore to 3.1.3. If not, does spirit see it? Try running it again?
    2010-06-30 04:40 PM
    seems itunes restore wont work. pop up window says that it "isnt eligible for this software"

thats paraphrased

Restore in itunes only if you can restore to 3.1.3. If not, does spirit see it? Try running it again?
    try running spirit again?
    just want to be sure.
    Last edited by ttlphotography; 2010-06-30 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-30 04:48 PM
    Yeh, you mustn't have shsh saved (have you pointed hosts to saurik and tried again?)
    2010-06-30 04:48 PM
    if you can't get it to power on, turn it off, open itunes, plug your phone into your computer and turn it on (if it doesn't automatically) and let it sit there for at least 20 minutes. if it doesn't turn on by then, you may need to put it in dfu mode and restore.

if you are not on itunes 9.2, then i believe it will only allow you to restore to 3.1.3, which is good for you, because you can then try spirit again.
    working on this right now. phone immediately powered on upon hooking up the usb cable to the phone. so now am in that 20 minute wait you mentioned.

Yeh, you mustn't have shsh saved (have you pointed hosts to saurik and tried again?)
    I'll try this on the next jb attempt after i get it restored i guess.

I didnt do shsh save as i thought that happened after the jb.

I'll get with you guys and go thru that after i get this thing functioning in some form other than the lump state its in now.

my old 3g phone was so much easier to do this stuff to. o well.
    Last edited by ttlphotography; 2010-06-30 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-30 04:57 PM
    Yeh the 3G would be easier because it's easier to JB in general. Apple should just make it easy for us all to JB, in fact. A JAILBREAK BUTTON ON THE SPRINGBOARD is required! I'm gunna email Steve Jobs
    2010-06-30 05:00 PM
    i think thats an EXCELLENT idea!! :P

gotta bail and head to work. so for now, just putting sim card in old phone and rolling with that for today.

I'll get back at this mess later tonight.

Do appreciate all the quick replies and assistance. Hopefully this evening i/we can get this thing sorted.

thanks again
    tom
    Last edited by ttlphotography; 2010-06-30 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-30 05:19 PM
    thought id update my thread.

after numerous and various attempts on 3 different computers, i finally got the phone operational again. However, its a mixed blessing. No matter what form or variation of software i tried, i could not get back to the 3.1.3 load for the phone. At every attempt, i was given the "your phone isnt eligible for this build" error message.
    What finally ended up working is just giving in and updating itunes on my laptop and then upgrading the phone os to ios4. it now functions properly without issue .. .. . for whatever reason.

So heres to looking forward to the ios4 jailbrake for the newer 3gs phones.

i do appreciate all you alls help yesterday.

thanks
    tom
    2010-07-01 09:30 PM
    Pity you didnt get it working mate. I would seem your shsh has been lost or your hosts file wasnt updated correctly, did u try pinging gs.apple.com and double checking it points to saurik and not apple (check the ip?).
    2010-07-02 05:02 PM
    Pity you didnt get it working mate. I would seem your shsh has been lost or your hosts file wasnt updated correctly, did u try pinging gs.apple.com and double checking it points to saurik and not apple (check the ip?).
    didnt try pinging the apple address. but its working now with ios4 on it. I still have the jailbroken 3g phone and have tried swapping the sim card between the phones and it works flawlessly. So its all good. I'll just sit here and patiently wait for the ios4 JB.
    Then once the 3gs with ios4 is JB'd, i'll sell off the 3g and get some of my $ back on the 3gs purchase. Just take a little more time than i have figured.

3gs phone now has these specs:
    version = 4.0
    Model = MC
    firmware = 5.13.04
    2010-07-02 05:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD