Hi, long story short, my wife procured a disabled iphone 3gs, that I would like to jailbreak and unlock, and probably upgrade. It was supposed to be a 3G, it was supposed to be so easy!

The problem is I know nothing about 3gs, I've always used the 3g and 2g. I'm afraid to upgrade it because I don't know what version bootrom I have. Can I even unlock a 3gs?

I know I can put it into recovery mode and replace the firmware, but with what version? From there I could check the bootrom version. Probably I'm SOL anyways because it needs to be older then the 3.1 software I think. Regardless, any help is appreciated.
    2010-07-02 11:53 PM
    I'm thinking in DFU mode, you can determine the bootrom version. You should find out if the seller was a jailbreaker and whether they saved the SHSH files for 3.1.3 and below. If yes, you can upgrade to iOS 4, and then downgrade back to whatever version the SHSH files were saved. That's the best way I think. Perhaps it would be more helpful if you described how this 3GS is "disabled".
    2010-07-02 11:59 PM
    OK, I followed the instructions on here, iClarified - iPhone - How to Check the Bootrom Version of Your iPhone (Mac)

and it indicates iBoot-359.3, which is the old version I think.

I have no idea how this phone became disabled. My wife broke her 3G last week, and she found this supposed 3G on craigslist. Obviously something is strange because the phone was supposed to be a 3G, not a 3GS.
    2010-07-03 10:26 AM
    at this point the only thing you can do is restore to official 4.0 through iTunes as douflag said, once you have working you can use tinyumbrella to check if cydia has any shsh's for the phone, start with 3.1.3 and work backwards if it has them, you can then restore to one of the firmwares, preferably 3.1.2 if it has the shsh's and jailbreak with redsn0w and then create a custom 4.0 firmware with either pwnagetool (mac) or sn0wbreeze (pc) and restore to that and be jailbroken on 4.0, if no shsh's were saved then at least you have working phone on 4.0
    2010-07-03 10:42 AM
    OK, I did as you suggested and upgraded to 4.0. TinyUmbrella didn't list anything for my phone, but I did capture the SHSH file for the 4.0 software.

So I guess that's it for this phone now. Should I just set it aside until the Dev-Team works out a new bootrom exploit?
    2010-07-03 07:46 PM
    that's what I would do, hopefully something will be released soon

in tinyunbrella did you select the advance tab and change it to 3GS 3.1.3 in the drop down and cydia and then select save my shsh to make sure they weren't on cydia?
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-07-03 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-07-03 11:49 PM
    This device isn't eligible for the requested build.
    Thanks for your help. At least now I can better appreciate what needs to be done for a 3GS.
    2010-07-05 04:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD