I got my 3GS [old boot room] activated when I was in the U.S. It was locked with 3.1.3 for a while and had never been jailbroken. So when ultrasnow came out, I tried to jailbreak my phone with spirit in order to get ultrasnow. However, something went wrong and the phone got not wifi signal. I restarted the phone and it got stuck in apple boot logo. Hence, I restored my phone ( yah, a stupid move ) and accidentally updated it into 4.0 and got stuck in emergency call screen.

Now, I have a brick which is not activated and stuck on 4.0.
    What should I do?
    2010-07-06 04:20 AM
    if you don't have the 3.1.3 shsh's saved then you are stuck on 4.0
    2010-07-06 04:47 AM
    If there's any way to borrow someone's activated SIM, you could just activate it, stay on 4, and wait for the jailbreak if that's what you want.

Last edited by wvcachi; 2010-11-08 at 11:01 AM.
    2010-07-06 05:07 AM
    I have looked all over the forum and found out 2 posts.
    Will they work?

http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...ml#post5329114

And in this one, he claims that he does have shsh save:

http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...5-13-04-a.html

So here's the specifics:
    1. Get the right firmware (start on modmyi and then trial & error if that doesn't work).
    2 Uninstall iTunes 9.2 and re-install iTunes 9.1
    3. Put the phone into DFU mode (I think DFU = Device Firmware Update). This takes a little pratice....press the Home button and power button simultanesously and in exactly 10 seconds release the power button while continuing to hold down the Home button. If done correctly you will eventually see a picture of a USB cable on the screen. The software in the phone is now set to request a firmware download from iTunes.
    4. Run the LIBUSB64Fix.zip and read all of the instructions before proceeding, this will require a reboot. DO NOT touch any keys while your PC is rebooting. One of the programs in the LIBUSB64Fix.zip temporarily modifies the PC boot process, just let it proceed until your PC is completed booted.
    5. Open iTunes 9.1 and it will give you a message that the phone needs to be updated and to connect to the apple website.
    Now here's a side note on one other change I found and made, but don't know if it really makes a difference, but you need to find a file in CWindows\System32\drivers\etc called "hosts" and open it with the Windows Notepad. Go to the last line of the file and enter in a line as follows:

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Supposedly this will cause iTunes to re-direct to Cydia to verify your phone and firmware, but I'm really not sure if this had any effect and I didn't take the time to try the downgrade without making this change. Once you make this change you MUST save the "hosts" file with the SAME file extension that it had when you opened it, otherwise Notepad will give it a .txt file extension and the "hosts" file will fail to be recognized by the Windows operating system.
    6. iTunes will prompt you to get restore the phone from the apple website or something to that effect. Just skip over that that step (I don't remember what the choices iTunes gives you to click on, just DON'T click on anything that will accept the restore from the appple website). At this point iTunes will have a screen with a button on it labled "Restore". Hold down your left Shift key and click on the "Restore" button. This will bring up a window that allows you to navigate to where you save your firmware file. This is where the trial and error begins. iTunes will almost immediately recognize an incompatible firmware file, but once you find a "good" firmware file, you will notice the interaction between your phone and iTunes as the firmaware is loaded into the phone and you should at some point see a status bar on iTunes and your phone. Eventually the firmware will load into the phone and you will get an error on your PC screen in iTunes to the effect that the firmware update failed. This is the part where the error I encountered was a 1015 error and the next step is what corrects the error.
    7. Unzip 1015-Fixer.zip and click on the "Fix My Error" button. If the LIBUSB64Fix.zip installed and functioned properly then the USB channel between iTunes and your phone should be open and the 1015-Fixer program should be able to restart your phone.
    8. Once the phone is operational, go into Settings, General, About and verify that your firmware is 3.1.3. If so, then use Spirit to jailbreak your phone and return to life as you knew it to be before IOS 4.0
    2010-07-06 05:13 AM
    If you didn't save your SHSH on 3.1.3 (or earlier), there's no way to downgrade. If you did save it, then yeah, you can downgrade. All depends if you hit "Make my life easier" in Cydia.
    2010-07-06 05:16 AM
    Well, I did not save my SHSH on 3.1.3. And for the record, there is another way to save SHSH without using Cydia is using tinyumbrella.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea about the post above?
    2010-07-06 05:22 AM
    Yeah, TinyUmbrella would have worked too.

If there's no SHSH stored, the restore will fail when it tries to verify with Apple (or in this case, Cydia). I haven't used the above firsthand, but if there was a way to downgrade without SHSH, I'm guessing it would be a big deal, and would be common knowledge by now.

...but if someone knows better, by all means, let me know.
    2010-07-06 05:29 AM
    Well, I did not save my SHSH on 3.1.3. And for the record, there is another way to save SHSH without using Cydia is using tinyumbrella.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea about the post above?
    both require shsh's, all official restores with the 3gs require shsh's

Yeah, TinyUmbrella would have worked too.

If there's no SHSH stored, the restore will fail when it tries to verify with Apple (or in this case, Cydia). I haven't used the above firsthand, but if there was a way to downgrade without SHSH, I'm guessing it would be a big deal, and would be common knowledge by now.

...but if someone knows better, by all means, let me know.
    you are correct
    2010-07-06 11:07 AM
    Please email me with any fixes. Apparently there is no way to downgrade, but I would be happy with finding a way to just use the phone. I bought it from my brother, he has AT&T and I have T-mobile, and I can't get it out of the emergency call screen.
    2010-07-10 08:37 PM
    Please email me with any fixes. Apparently there is no way to downgrade, but I would be happy with finding a way to just use the phone. I bought it from my brother, he has AT&T and I have T-mobile, and I can't get it out of the emergency call screen.
    there is no fix at this point, if you can get/borrow an at&t sim to activate it you will be able to use the ipod/wifi functions of the phone but you will not be able to use it as a phone until a jailbreak/unlock is released
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-07-16 at 08:00 AM.
    2010-07-11 05:02 AM
    any news ?
    2010-07-16 06:30 AM
    not yet
    2010-07-16 08:01 AM
    there is no fix at this point, if you can get/borrow an at&t sim to activate it you will be able to use the ipod/wifi functions of the phone but you will not be able to use it as a phone until a jailbreak/unlock is released
    I have a 3Gs that was 3.1.2os 5.11.04 FW and then I tried to enabled the MMS and after resetting the network settings i had a frozen apple logo. When I was free from the frozen apple logo iTunes made me update and restore my 3Gs. I am with T-Mobile and now I am on the emergency call screen. If I was to borrow my cousin's AT&T sim card will I be able to use the phone/wifi to connect to jailbreakme.com to jb and then use ultrasn0w 9.3 to unlock it? On July 30 I "made my life easier" so saurik's server can have my SHSH files. But before this happen it was still pending. But I do have the ECID/old bootrom info before I updated it. Can I type the information into TinyUmbrella and still use it?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me and sorry for the noob questions. I truly appreciate any help given.
    2010-08-03 06:36 AM
    yes, you can use the sim to activate it and then run jailbreakme to jailbreak and ultrasn0w to unlock, just make sure to disable 3G since tmo's won't work with it
    2010-08-04 11:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD