hey everyone, today i went from an iphone 3GS with firmware 3.1.2 that was jailbroken, and then i decided to update to iOS 4.0 today by restoring it, and then installing it afterwards. i did this after reading about how sn0wbreeze can now jailbreak 3GS with 4.0. i also checked my phone with f0recast to check my baseband and to see if i can jailbreak it or not, and its kind of ambiguous... it says that i have baseband of 05.13.04 (which i dont know how to interpret whether this is old or new...), it doesnt say whether or not i can jailbreak, and it said that it doesnt need a tethered jailbreak. so i kind of assumed that i could just use sn0wbreeze as is, but halfway through it tells me that "sn0wbreeze has detected that this device cannot be jailbroken sn0wbreeze unless it is already jailbroken."

can anyone tell me what im doing wrong...?
    2010-07-07 06:33 AM
    Well the only thing you did wrong, was restoring to ios4 THEN doing research on how to jailbreak it....

You should always always always read up on it, before doing it, not the other way around..

Basically if you would have researched, you would have known the only way to jailbreak, is by using a custom firmware, from an already jailbroken 3.* state...

Your only options now are to downgrade to 3.1.2 using shsh blobs (assuming you saved them in cydia) then upgrading back up to ios4 using a custom ipsw

or enjoy ios4 for a few days, and wait until spirit is released for ios4.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!
    2010-07-07 06:37 AM
    ohhhh haha i see.......... thanks alot !
    i guess im stuck with ios 4 for a few days LOL but i dont mind, i can wait haha
    2010-07-07 06:39 AM
    hahaha

yea 4.0 is great, especially on the 3gs

4.0.1 is right around the corner, once thats released, spirit will be released
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!
    2010-07-07 06:40 AM
    hey, i have the 3GS on ios 4 (old Bootrom) and I have never jailbroken my phone either. I saw of this new program called Sn0wbreeze 1.7. I wanted to know if anybody knew whether sn0wbreeze 1.7 can jailbreak an iphone 3GS which is on ios4 (old bootrom) and has never been jailbroken before. or if there are any other programs that can succesfully complete this task. Thanks
    2010-07-07 06:51 AM
    babyblue_pimp already said earlier a few posts ago that you need to have already jailbroken it before to jailbreak it with sn0wbreeze lol
    2010-07-07 06:54 AM
    well...i've been hearing that this applies only to the new boot rom. I wanted to know if this applies to the old bootrom as well?
    2010-07-07 06:56 AM
    Yes, your stuck waiting for spirit ios4.
    2010-07-07 07:21 AM
    ok perfect...thanks. by the way, does anyone know when the new iOS will be released by apple?
    2010-07-07 07:23 AM
    A*sneak*peek*at*iPhone*5:*http://bit.ly/iPhonePreview
    2010-07-07 07:33 AM
    ok perfect...thanks. by the way, does anyone know when the new iOS will be released by apple?
    All we have been told so far is "'sometime' probably within the 'next few weeks'"
    2010-07-07 11:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD