Hi, I am new to this community and to the iPhone scenario.

I have never owned an iPhone before and frankly preferred HTC over Apple, please DO NOT flame or ridicule me right now as this is not the point of this thread.

So I bought a brand new iPhone 3G[S] 32gb.
    It has Baseband : 5.12.01
    Bootloader : 6.4
    Model : MB717
    Firmware : 3.1.3

F0recast predicted I am SOL.

May I know the thread/post to follow to jailbreak and unlock this device?

More information :
    1. I don't have the sim card to activate the phone. It is currently residing on the connect to itunes and insert sim card screen.
    2. I have saved the SHSH of my 3.1.3 firmware which came pre-installed on the iPhone.

What I know from reading countless posts(I could be wrong):
    1. I am unable to jailbreak the device, and so in turn not able to unlock it.
    2. Spirit can work but then I won't be able to unlock the phone in case a future unlock comes.(please correct me if I am wrong)
    3. Sn0wbreeze will require upgrading to iOS4 which currently I don't want unless that will assure a jailbreak and unlock.
    Moreover Sn0wbreeze says
    "Sn0wbreeze has detected that this device cannot be jailbroken with sn0wbreeze unless it is already jailbroken" which my iPhone isn't as it is a stock one from Apple.

So, will somebody be kind enough to guide me to a thread or post an answer confirming my above assumption, or maybe providing a solution to my problem of jailbreaking and unlocking the device.

Rest assured when I get a clear answer I will guide all the new members like me to my thread in case similar queries arise.
    Thanks
    2010-07-07 09:40 PM
    You can jailbreak with spirit then unlock with ultrasnow from cydia after it's jailbroken.
    2010-07-07 11:47 PM
    Considering you're on 3.1.3, if you're able to get your hands on an AT&T sim card, insert it, connect it itunes, then you'll surpass the "connect to itunes." Yes, just ask if any of your friends or family members have one and just insert it. It will not kill anyone.

Once you get to the home screen, you can jailbreak with spirit and unlock with ultrasn0w. Yes, you CAN unlock your iPhone with a spirit jailbreak.
    2010-07-07 11:48 PM
    Thanks to all problem resolves.
    using Iphone 3GS on 3.1.3
    2010-08-18 07:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD