User Tag List

I've been trying to upgrade to iOS4 for the past 2 days.
    I have a 3GSS @ 3.1.2 with Old Bootom.
    iTunes 9.2 as well.

I was originally at 3.1.3 but downgraded successfully.

At 3.1.2 I broke with Blackra1n. Cooked a iOS4 IPSW using PwnageTool 4.1 on a Mac VM. Tried restoring the phone using iTunes in both recovery mode and DFU mode and both times got 16XX errors. I then need to downgrade to 3.1.2 using QuickPWN and try again but I keep running into the same problem. I even transferred my cooked ipsw to my host pc and tried it there and got the same thing.

Tried iREB but noticed it doesn't support 3GS. I've looked all over the web for info and help on bypassing 16XX errors. I think this is my only road block and I'm stuck.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much in advance!!

*EDIT*
    So problem solved.
    Found this video
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-RKAcmnFMQ]YouTube - SnowBreeze Jailbreak/Unlock iOS4 iphone3g / 3gS (Old Bootrom) & iPod Touch 2g (non-MC Model)[/ame]

Now I know this is the first thing I was going to try but a lot of things kept me from it, most of it was actually false information.

At first I didn't want to use SnowBreeze due having an "MC" model or New Bootrom so I didn't want a tethered hack.
    Later did I find out that having a an "MC" model didn't necessarily mean I had a New Bootrom. But by that point I was already on my way to running OSX.

Other problem is, is that I've seen this stated here and there but hardly ever stated with upgrading tutorials. That your iTunes needs to be 9.2.
    I realized this much later (today instead of yesterday) that you need 9.2 to upgrade to iOS4.

Also, just like the video I did not need to put my phone into DFU/Recovery mode prior to hitting the restore button.

Hopefully this helps some of you and saves you some headaches =D
    Last edited by GSX115; 2010-07-11 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-07-11 10:59 AM
    i ran into somewhat the same problem, at first i was going from 3.1.2 to 4.0 and back no issues then all of a sudden I got stuck at 4.0. what finally worked in the end was alot of useless redo's and the i just dl'd 9.2 again and wtf it worked! Give it a go!
    2010-07-11 11:18 AM
    i ran into somewhat the same problem, at first i was going from 3.1.2 to 4.0 and back no issues then all of a sudden I got stuck at 4.0. what finally worked in the end was alot of useless redo's and the i just dl'd 9.2 again and wtf it worked! Give it a go!
    I did run into an issue with all the failed iOS4 upgrades that came up once I installed iTunes 9.2.

Once my upgrade failed I would just go back to 3.1.2 and start over. I did this with a combination of my cydia shsh blobs and quickpwn.
    I would downgrade to 3.1.2 using my cydia blobs but the downgrade would always fail with a 1015 error code. From there I would use QuickPWN to get to the emergency call screen then I would open iTunes back up and let it reactivate my phone.

Now here is where my problem lies after I installed 9.2. Turns out iTunes did some changing around of their file structure under %Program Files%\Common Files\Apple.

After uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes switching from 9.0.3 to 9.2 and looking at the QuickPWN logs I noticed one of the folders was missing. So I just created the folder and put all the DLLs in there. Now mind you, I was continually searching for info and found nothing on this. It wasn't until I did all that switching and file moving that QuickPWN finally gave me a new error. "Cannot find ASL.dll" Now THAT got me an answer. Turns out that ASL.dll was moved and it was just as easy and dropping the executable and all it's files into the root folder.
    %Program Files%\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\

That's how I kept getting back to 3.1.2
    2010-07-11 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD