User Tag List

This may be a stupid question, but I have searched the net for 3 days now without answers.

I have a 3gs on 3.0 04.26.08 and I think is old boot? 85927. I used redsnow on a mac 10.6 to jailbreak and unlock. I would like to update to 3.12 because I am starting to find more and more software that I cant use. I just saved my sshh file with cydia but it says this device is still pending TSS request. Can I use pwnage to create a custom FW and upgrade or will I need my sshh files? I tried to restore to a custom 3.12 with my internet turned off and it gave me an error that itunes couldn't connect to server. Like everyone else here, I don't want to loose my JB. I appreciate any assistance on this issue and I apologize for a ignorant question.

Thanks
    2010-07-11 07:00 AM
    You can go straight to 4.0 by creating a custom 4.0 firmware, putting your phone into Restore Mode, and then Alt/Shift to the custom 4.0 you created. Then unlock afterwards. You may not be able to do 3.1.2 if your ShSh is not on file. Either way you will love 4.0 on your phone. It is lightning fast and has a bunch of new features and you won't have any app incompatibilities with the exception of a few Cydia apps.
    2010-07-11 11:29 AM
    Would I use pwnage? I thought that I read that you had to be on 3.12 before you can go to 4.0? Will MyWi and Slingplayer still work?

Thanks
    2010-07-11 05:10 PM
    You just have to be jailbroken on any firmware to install a custom 4.0 on your phone. You must be on the Internet so iTunes can verify your firmware. Using Pwnage to create a custom 4.0, enter restore mode and then Alt/Restore to the custom 4.0. Mywi works and Slingplayer should too. You can check out the AppStore for its compatibility.
    2010-07-11 06:32 PM
    1 last question. Will I loose all of my numbers and apps or will I be able to sync everything again? I made a backup but I am not sure if this will work with 4.0.

Thanks Again
    2010-07-12 04:47 AM
    you can sync afterwards to get your contacts, apps, etc. back-- make sure you setup as new phone not from backup
    2010-07-12 04:56 AM
    Set up as new after I restore? How do I set up as new? Will it prompt me when it first connects after I restore?

Thanks
    2010-07-12 05:20 AM
    yes it will prompt you to setup as new or restore from backup
    2010-07-12 05:25 AM
    I recommend if you install aptbackup from cydia, and backup, this will backup all your cydia packages you have, then when your restore is done, you just reinstall it and backup...
    If you care about your saved date for the apps, install appbackup from cydia, backup all, then when done with the restore, reinstall it, and run restore all which will help you get all your saved options and scores in the apps.

Cheers and goodluck
    You don't have to say it, Just click "Thanks".
    http://twitter.com/Duetschpire
    2010-07-12 09:44 AM
    So appbackup works good now? (not aptbackup).
    2010-07-12 02:42 PM
    aptbackup is just for Cydia apps and it works just perfect for me, as every week I try something new and have to restore the phone, so it does all the hard work.
    appbackup, it's just for itunes apps, saves the app settings, exp: routes on your navman, high scores, etc...
    Yeah it's working alright as well.
    Did you find any prob. with it?
    You don't have to say it, Just click "Thanks".
    http://twitter.com/Duetschpire
    2010-07-12 03:14 PM
    You have all been very helpful and everything went fine after I realized that I had to update Itunes to 9.2. My wife has a 3g 3.12 and I wanted to JB her phone. The last time that I plugged it into my computer it synced all of my contacts and apps to her phone. Is there a way to have separate phones on 1 Itunes account so I can JB her phone on my computer. She has her own computer but its Windows

Thanks
    2010-07-12 10:19 PM
    Yeah mate, after the restore is finished, the phone will restart, before you select set up as a new iPhone, disconnect it and connect it to ur wife's computer and set it as a new phone on that computer, then choose to synch contacts and apps.
    Goodluck
    2010-07-13 01:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD