User Tag List

I have had my iPhone 3G jail-broken for just about two years, i have now replace it with the 4, I am aware of all the great things jail-breaking enables you to do, and i am like everybody here waiting on the jailbreak for the 4, however; i have always wonder, are there draw backs in actual performance of the OS when is jail-broken? stability,speed,ect? for me it seemed a bit sluggish when jail-broken on the 3G.
    am i wrong for thinking this?
    what exactly does jailbreak does to the actual OS? what kind of modification is done (programing wise) I'm no programmer, so laymen terms would be great .

Thanks for the input.
    2010-07-12 07:01 PM
    I have had my iPhone 3G jail-broken for just about two years, i have now replace it with the 4, I am aware of all the great things jail-breaking enables you to do, and i am like everybody here waiting on the jailbreak for the 4, however; i have always wonder, are there draw backs in actual performance of the OS when is jail-broken? stability,speed,ect? for me it seemed a bit sluggish when jail-broken on the 3G.
    am i wrong for thinking this?
    what exactly does jailbreak does to the actual OS? what kind of modification is done (programing wise) I'm no programmer, so laymen terms would be great .

Thanks for the input.
    It is entirely dependent upon what you do with the phone once it is jailbroken. Many apps and features that can be installed on a jailbroken iPhone require mobile substrates to run, which, for this discussion, run constantly in the background like launch daemons, decreasing the amount of free memory. Some apps use very little resources when they do this but others, such as Winterboard, use a very large amount of memory and will cause a noticeable decrease in performance. You can also go in and disable/delete unnecessary launch daemons as well as unneeded language packets from the phone. Both of these will significantly boost the quality of the user experience.

As I said it is all dependent upon what you do with the phone after you jailbreak it. I've had times where i decided to load my phone with ever available option and have a full theme installed speed/performance did take a hit. However there have been times were i've taken more of a minimalistic approach and ran only the bare essentials and I noticed a significantly faster iPhone as compared to the stock version.

If you'd like to read more about what coding is actually done to the phone when it is jailbroken there is a ton of info on the iPhone Wiki site but be warned, it is a tough topic to discuss in simple terms.
    2010-07-12 07:15 PM
    It is entirely dependent upon what you do with the phone once it is jailbroken. Many apps and features that can be installed on a jailbroken iPhone require mobile substrates to run, which, for this discussion, run constantly in the background like launch daemons, decreasing the amount of free memory. Some apps use very little resources when they do this but others, such as Winterboard, use a very large amount of memory and will cause a noticeable decrease in performance. You can also go in and disable/delete unnecessary launch daemons as well as unneeded language packets from the phone. Both of these will significantly boost the quality of the user experience.

As I said it is all dependent upon what you do with the phone after you jailbreak it. I've had times where i decided to load my phone with ever available option and have a full theme installed speed/performance did take a hit. However there have been times were i've taken more of a minimalistic approach and ran only the bare essentials and I noticed a significantly faster iPhone as compared to the stock version.

If you'd like to read more about what coding is actually done to the phone when it is jailbroken there is a ton of info on the iPhone Wiki site but be warned, it is a tough topic to discuss in simple terms.
    thanks a lot for the info.

You can also go in and disable/delete unnecessary launch daemons as well as unneeded language packets from the phone. Both of these will significantly boost the quality of the user experience.
    How and where could you do this?
    How can you determine that are the unnecessary launch daemons?
    Thanks again
    2010-07-12 08:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD