Hi,

my friend has an iPhone 3GS, new bootrom, running 3.1.3. We bought it like that on eBay. It wasn't not jailbroken already and we don't have SHSH blobs. We want to jailbreak it. I understand that it must be a tethered jailbreak since it has a new bootrom, and that's ok. Once I jailbreak it, I will use ultrasn0w to unlock it.

* When I run Spirit, I get error code 1. Not sure what it's all about, but maybe we are not compliant with one of the requirements of Spirit: the phone has to be activated. I'm not sure if it is or not. He already put a new overseas SIM card in it, the phone boots and we can see springboard. It doesn't have any "emergency calls only" or "connect to iTunes" messages. If we connect it to iTunes (we have iTunes 9.1.1), it detects it, and we get a normal screen where you can sync the iphone. So I think this means that the phone is activated. Does anyone know why Spirit doesn't work?

* So then I tried redsn0w 0.9.4 and pointed it to a 3GS-3.1.2 IPSW. First couple of times I didn't know yet that he had a new bootrom, so I clicked "no" thinking it was an old bootrom. redsn0w did some stuff and then got to the "finish" button. The phone had a black screen and after 5 minutes nothing happened. So then I unplugged and was able to turn it on, and it was back to springboard running 3.1.3. So basically nothing happened.

* Then I figured out (using the proper method) that he had a new bootrom. So the third time running redsn0w, I clicked on "yes", confirming that it has a new bootrom. This should do a tethered jailbreak and we are ok with that. But we got the same result, it finished, the phone shows black screen, and after 5 minutes nothing new happens. So I unplug the phone, turn it on, and it's back to springboard still running 3.1.3. Does anyone know why a tethered redsn0w jailbreak isn't working?

* So then I thought maybe something got screwed up on the phone because I clicked that "no" button in redsn0w two times. So I figured maybe I should do a complete restore of 3.1.2 through iTunes before running redsn0w. Well, iTunes complains that it doesn't want to put 3.1.2 on a 3.1.3 phone. I believe that has to do with the new 3.1.3 "signed" images. So I think it's impossible to downgrade back to 3.1.2 unless we had those SHSH blobs, which we don't. Ok, fine.

* So then I thought maybe we should restore to 3.1.3 through iTunes. Well, this is where we stopped as my friend had to go to bed (he's overseas with this iphone)... we'll try this tomorrow. By the way, I think when I got iPhone from eBay, it didn't have a SIM card, but it must have been activated already, otherwise I would have gotten the "emergency calls only" or a "connect to itunes message". Does anyone know if we need an AT&T SIM card to do a full restore through iTunes to 3.1.3?

* We can't use PwnageTool as my friend doesn't have a Mac, he only has a Windows Vista PC. I also believe that we can't use Sn0wbreeze, because we are not on 3.1.2, and we don't have SHSH blobs.

Any tips? Any ideas why Spirit didn't work? Any ideas why tethered redsn0w isn't working? Any other recommendations? I have this bad feeling that we are stuck now to wait for some future not-yet-released jailbreak.

Thanks!
    2010-07-18 02:43 AM
    Please do not duplicate threads, we consider that spam and will be deleted. Thanks.
    2010-07-18 02:44 AM
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to duplicate. I accidentaly posted the first one under "Unlock" section which it didn't apply to. I replied to that post stating to ignore it. I can't find a way to delete them.
    2010-07-18 02:51 AM
    If you don't have the shsh blobs saved for 3.1.3 you will not be able to restore to that either. It will force you to 4.0.1. Now as far as th jb goes, there is only one jb for a new bootroom 3gs on 3.1.3, and that is spirit, but it has to be activated with a official sim in it to work. If your friend can borrow someones att sim card real quick he should be abke to jb then run ultrasn0w to unlock it.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter
    2010-07-18 03:06 AM
    If you don't have the shsh blobs saved for 3.1.3 you will not be able to restore to that either. It will force you to 4.0.1. Now as far as th jb goes, there is only one jb for a new bootroom 3gs on 3.1.3, and that is spirit, but it has to be activated with a official sim in it to work. If your friend can borrow someones att sim card real quick he should be abke to jb then run ultrasn0w to unlock it.
    Thank you!! I'm going to buy an AT&T SIM card on eBay and mail it to my friend. Can you please answer couple more questions?

1. Will this work? USED AT&T SIM CARD for IPHONE 2G 3G 3GS ATT UNLOCK - eBay (item 290451366822 end time Aug-04-10 00:15:55 PDT)

2. Are you saying that once he inserts this AT&T SIM card into his phone and connects to iTunes, it will let him activate it? Right now in iTunes he can see the regular syncing page for the phone.

3. Do you need to have a contract with AT&T to activate it? Will iTunes software simply connect to AT&T over the Internet and activate his phone?

Thanks!!
    2010-07-18 03:29 AM
    It needs to be an active att sim card to be able to activate the phone through Itunes.

Not sure if the used one from ebay will work for you or not.

Yes once you have a active sim, Itunes activates the phone through att for you. Then you can use spirit to jb it.
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 2010-07-18 at 03:42 AM.

2010-07-18 03:40 AM
    I see. I found this post on ebay:

??????? Mobile Activate SIM Card For Apple iPhone ?? ???-????? ?????????????? ????????? ?????? eBay, ??? ???? ??????????? ?? ????? ???? ?? ??????? ?? ???? ??

he can order it himself. If you scroll down there's a Q&A section in english, here it is:

----------------
    Description

- Apple iPhone mobile activate SIM card

- Compatible with iPhone3G, 3GS and the latest OS 4 (iPhone 4)

Once you've got your new iPhone, you'll need to connect to the latest version of iTunes to activate it.
    And which will ask for activation with original simcard. but when you have not the SIM , what to do?

A. I don't have original SIM card and i need to activate it?

You can buy this SIM Card for activation!

B. Is it working for my iPhone?

Yes, Working for any version. including the latest OS 4 (iPhone 4)

C. I don't know my iPhone network operator?

Don't worry , which working for any network operator.

D. How is working for this SIM Card?

A step-by-step guide to everything you need to know about iPhone activation to get you started using it right away!
    You do search on google , eg, Introduction to iPhone Activation.

Note: This SIM card not for unlocking phone baseband etc. which use for activation emergency digit state of your Apple iPhone mobile.
    --------------

this sounds like what we need?
    2010-07-18 03:43 AM
    Never seen anything like that before.

2010-07-18 03:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD