Hey guys my name is Ryan and I am pretty new to apple products. My wife and I got iphones for christmas last year (3GS) and we have been very satisfied so far. I was considering buying an ipad for my wife for her birthday and starting looking into getting the wifi vs wifi and 3G. It seemed crazy to me to spend $130 for the 3G model plus pay an extra data fee when I have it on my iphone. So this led me to looking into jailbreaking the iphone. Here are my questions if you don't mind answering and if they have already been answered feel free to refer me to somewhere else.

1. I recently upgraded to iOS 4.0.1, is this a problem?

2. Is it possible to go back to an older version to jail break?

3. Does it damage your phone?

4. Is it possible to restore the phone to "normal" after jailbreaking?

5. I mainly want to take advantage of myfi and avoid spending money on other data plans is this the best route to go?

6. Do syncs still work the same?

I'm running windows XP now, will upgrade to a macbook pro in august more than likely.

Thanks in advance for all of the help I really appreciate it.
    2010-07-21 10:56 PM
    Hey guys my name is Ryan and I am pretty new to apple products. My wife and I got iphones for christmas last year (3GS) and we have been very satisfied so far. I was considering buying an ipad for my wife for her birthday and starting looking into getting the wifi vs wifi and 3G. It seemed crazy to me to spend $130 for the 3G model plus pay an extra data fee when I have it on my iphone. So this led me to looking into jailbreaking the iphone. Here are my questions if you don't mind answering and if they have already been answered feel free to refer me to somewhere else.

1. I recently upgraded to iOS 4.0.1, is this a problem?

2. Is it possible to go back to an older version to jail break?

3. Does it damage your phone?

4. Is it possible to restore the phone to "normal" after jailbreaking?

5. I mainly want to take advantage of myfi and avoid spending money on other data plans is this the best route to go?

6. Do syncs still work the same?

I'm running windows XP now, will upgrade to a macbook pro in august more than likely.

Thanks in advance for all of the help I really appreciate it.
    1. Probably is, since you have a 3GS and I doubt you have your shsh files for 3.1.2
    2. Not on the 3GS unless you have your shsh blobs saved
    3. No
    4. Yes
    5. Don't know
    6. Yes
    2010-07-21 11:03 PM
    I have no idea what those files are in answers 1 and 2 so I'm pretty sure I didn't save them unless it was by blind dumb luck. So should I just sit tight for a while since I have already upgraded to the new software until it is possible to jailbreak the new firmware?

Any speculation as to when something like that will be available?
    2010-07-21 11:16 PM
    as for right now the release of the new jailbreak by the devs is unknown..... it will be a few days or maybe a few weaks.... just keep checking here....
    2010-07-21 11:22 PM
    Dragon pretty much got it covered. Those files I were talking about are a signature file from Apple that allows your specific phone to be restored to a specific firmware. Apple only signs these files during the time when a firmware is current, and when a new one is released they stop. The only way to save these files is with either TinyUmbrella or Cydia, which since you weren't jailbroken before I am pretty sure it's safe to say you don't have them saved. The reason they are so important is that they allow you to downgrade freely to an older firmware, which to jailbreak the 3GS, you have to be able to go to either 3.1.2 or 3.1.3.
    2010-07-21 11:26 PM
    sorry about that..... just wanted to put my two cents in.....
    2010-07-21 11:36 PM
    Cool thanks for all of the replies. This sounds like it will be interesting to do when I am able. Is there anything else I should be reading to prep myself to do this when it comes out or is it a step by step process clearly outlined?

Does your battery life suffer when you jailbreak?

What are the other good benefits of jailbreaking? I'm sure there has to be more than the reason I am doing it.
    2010-07-22 01:21 AM
    Cool thanks for all of the replies. This sounds like it will be interesting to do when I am able. Is there anything else I should be reading to prep myself to do this when it comes out or is it a step by step process clearly outlined?

Does your battery life suffer when you jailbreak?

What are the other good benefits of jailbreaking? I'm sure there has to be more than the reason I am doing it.
    yes.... it does effect it a little..... and a good reason is for quick reply apps and quick compose..... a good app for that is BiteSMS
    2010-07-22 01:29 AM
    So I should be able to do this in a few weeks? I noticed there were people trying to sell this service, to jailbreak your iPod, and it seems like you can easily do it yourself.
    2010-07-22 03:58 AM
    So I should be able to do this in a few weeks? I noticed there were people trying to sell this service, to jailbreak your iPod, and it seems like you can easily do it yourself.
    people who are trying to charge you are just trying to get your money...... anything that is official comes from the devs and is always free..... they do however except pay-pal donations
    2010-07-22 04:12 AM
    Ok, I will just keep checking back here. I'm sure there will be a big thread posted somewhere when its available
    2010-07-22 07:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD