User Tag List

this morning I went to use my phone... was working fine last night... but it wouldn't turn on. I tried to enter recovery and dfu mode to see if I could restore, but I keep getting error 1603 or 1604. I really don't know what to do and this is the only phone I have so I need to try to fix it as soon as I can.

I'm running os 3.1, on windows 7 with an ATT jailbroken 3G.

Thank you for any help
    2010-07-31 06:24 AM
    Do you remember if you installed any Cydia app before?
    Please hit the Thanks button if you think this was helpful or if it maybe raised a smile!
    2010-07-31 03:24 PM
    Do you remember if you installed any Cydia app before?

I have the cydia application, but I always used Rock to install.

EDIT: actually, I just remembered I uninstalled cydia altogether a few weeks ago
    Last edited by kylepianoman; 2010-07-31 at 04:58 PM.
    2010-07-31 04:55 PM
    I never used rock to install anything on my last 3Gs, remember reading about loads of problems with Rock
    2010-07-31 04:59 PM
    2010-07-31 06:35 PM
    I've tried that already... the problem didn't happen when I tried to restore. it just randomly happened (I"ve been at summer camp for a week and on the last day it wouldn't turn on)

I tried the iphonebrowswer fix for the problem some people face with cydia, but iphonebrowswer won't even recognize the iphone.
    2010-07-31 06:44 PM
    Agree with Will13... I had big problems with Rock which ended up in a restore. Basically, it screwed up my device so I don't recommend using it.

Try putting your device in DFU mode and restore again.

Please post your results.
    Please hit the Thanks button if you think this was helpful or if it maybe raised a smile!
    2010-07-31 06:51 PM
    I have Rocks installed and I love some of their apps. Let me tell you why you should install Rocks as well.
    If you installed some apps that causes the Sprigboard to crash and you go into Safe Mode, you will notice that your Cydia icon will dissagppear from your Sprigboard. You can go to Rocks and uninstall the app that causes the crash, once uninstalled, reboot, your Cydia icon and Sprigboard will be up and running again.
    2010-07-31 07:26 PM
    Agree with Will13... I had big problems with Rock which ended up in a restore. Basically, it screwed up my device so I don't recommend using it.

Try putting your device in DFU mode and restore again.

Please post your results.
    it just stays on the preparing iphone for restore phase

and later on an error saying

The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1604).

(Note: it's not recognizing my iphones name)

hate to bump, but I'm in dire need of help
    I don't care if my jailbreak is preserve... I just want to fix my phone.
    Last edited by kylepianoman; 2010-08-01 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-01 03:40 AM
    it just stays on the preparing iphone for restore phase

and later on an error saying

The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1604).

(Note: it's not recognizing my iphones name)

hate to bump, but I'm in dire need of help
    I don't care if my jailbreak is preserve... I just want to fix my phone.
    Hey kilepianoman! Apologies for the delay. I got your DM by the way...

So, once you're on "Windblows" , let's give it another method:

- Put your device in DFU mode as mentioned above

- Once done, open iTunes (if iTunes was running close it and re-open)

- Connect your device to the computer. After that you should get a pop up telling you that you need to restore. Clik on the restore button then wait for a couple of seconds until your iPhone's screen turns white, when your screen is white click Ctrl+Alt+Del and kill iTunes.exe. The screen will still be white, dont worry...

- Re-open iTunes, click on the restore button again and just wait until it's restored. After thaty your iPhone should be fixed and you won't get the 1604 error anymore.

Please report back.
    2010-08-03 02:45 AM
    I have Rocks installed and I love some of their apps. Let me tell you why you should install Rocks as well.
    If you installed some apps that causes the Sprigboard to crash and you go into Safe Mode, you will notice that your Cydia icon will dissagppear from your Sprigboard. You can go to Rocks and uninstall the app that causes the crash, once uninstalled, reboot, your Cydia icon and Sprigboard will be up and running again.
    My cydia app as never done that in safe mode
    2010-08-03 02:51 AM
    My cydia app as never done that in safe mode
    And neither did mine...

yeow202, in case something crashes and forces the device booting in safe mode, Cydia icon never disappears. It's always there for you to delete what is causing the problem. For "full access" you just need to set yor profile as developper so as to see ALL installed packages (an then change what you need).
    2010-08-03 11:48 AM
    Hey kilepianoman! Apologies for the delay. I got your DM by the way...

So, once you're on "Windblows" , let's give it another method:

- Put your device in DFU mode as mentioned above

- Once done, open iTunes (if iTunes was running close it and re-open)

- Connect your device to the computer. After that you should get a pop up telling you that you need to restore. Clik on the restore button then wait for a couple of seconds until your iPhone's screen turns white, when your screen is white click Ctrl+Alt+Del and kill iTunes.exe. The screen will still be white, dont worry...

- Re-open iTunes, click on the restore button again and just wait until it's restored. After thaty your iPhone should be fixed and you won't get the 1604 error anymore.

Please report back.
    This time I got error 1611...

it may be due to the fact that I couldn't do exactly what you said. if I tried killing itunes in the middle of restore it would tell me its not responsive than take a few seconds (the white screen lasts like, 2 seconds). So I ended up pulling the usb out, killing itunes, plugging back in, and opening itunes up again to restore but that didn't work either.
    2010-08-03 04:48 PM
    1604 is a USB timing problem, have you tried different cables, different usb ports, different pc?
    2010-08-04 11:05 AM
    This time I got error 1611...

it may be due to the fact that I couldn't do exactly what you said. if I tried killing itunes in the middle of restore it would tell me its not responsive than take a few seconds (the white screen lasts like, 2 seconds). So I ended up pulling the usb out, killing itunes, plugging back in, and opening itunes up again to restore but that didn't work either.
    Hey, there.
    Sorry, I've been away these days. Did you succeed in restoring your device? If not, what's the last status?
    If situation is the same as decribed above, try doing the same process, however leave the Task Manager opened with iTunes selected and be ready to click "End Process".
    2010-08-20 08:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD