Topic title pretty much says it all.

I have an iPhone 3G[s] on 3.0.1 firmware. It has old bootrom, and baseband 4.26.08. It is JB (redsn0w, IIRC) & UL (ultrasn0w). I'd like to upgrade to 4.0.1 firmware, JB and UL, and restore my music/photos/contacts/etc.

What would be the best method to go about doing this without losing any data in the process?

Thanks for any and all tips/pointers/how to's/tutorials.

Cheers!
    Last edited by SiliconJunkie; 2010-08-03 at 12:58 AM.
    2010-08-03 12:46 AM
    I'm not sure if I understand this, can't you just sync with iTunes?
    Are you trying to backup your Cydia apps?
    2010-08-03 07:27 AM
    I'm trying to upgrade a JB & UL 3.0.1 firmware to 4.0.1 firmware, then JB & UL. I'm on T-mobile, but I do have an activated AT&T SIM card at my disposal.
    2010-08-03 12:31 PM
    Ok, I don't have an iPhone so I'm not completely sure about this. If you update to 4.0.1 (then I guess you have to activate it) you can jailbreak with JailbreakMe.com and unlock with Ultrasn0w. The only problem with this jailbreak it it doesn't "hacktivate", but I'm not sure whether it's redsn0w that does that or not. If you have an at&t sim card I guess you should be fine until you unlock.
    2010-08-03 08:26 PM
    Basically, press restore, then restore and update to 4.0.1, then activate with your AT&T card. Then go to jailbreakme.com, then install ultrasn0w off Cydia and you'll be back to normal.
    Last edited by neodude237; 2010-08-03 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks
    2010-08-03 08:51 PM
    Basically, press restore, then restore and update to 4.0.1, then activate with your AT&T card. Then go to jailbreakme.com, then install ultrasn0w off Cydia and you'll be back to normal.
    I was hoping it might be that simple, but wasn't really sure. I'm glad that it is. Will attempt this very soon, and report back results - I'm too tired to do it tonight, and tomorrow I have APA pool league, so will probably be on Thursday night.

PROPS TO THE DEV TEAM!
    Last edited by SiliconJunkie; 2010-08-05 at 04:45 AM. Reason: spelling error
    2010-08-04 05:03 AM
    Don't mean to hijack OP's thread, but don't want to create another thread since my question can ride with the way this thread is going anyway.

2 Questions.

1) If you currently already have apps from cydia installed (say at 3.1.3 with spirit), after restoring to 4.0 (cydia apps will be gone), then jailbreaking with jailbreakme, will the cydia apps be back?

2) Will it be stable? Is it better to uninstall all cydia apps, restore, jailbreakme, then install cydia apps back. Although this is a painful process, just asking.

Hopefully #1 option is good enough.
    2010-08-04 06:23 AM
    Don't mean to hijack OP's thread, but don't want to create another thread since my question can ride with the way this thread is going anyway.

2 Questions.

1) If you currently already have apps from cydia installed (say at 3.1.3 with spirit), after restoring to 4.0 (cydia apps will be gone), then jailbreaking with jailbreakme, will the cydia apps be back?

2) Will it be stable? Is it better to uninstall all cydia apps, restore, jailbreakme, then install cydia apps back. Although this is a painful process, just asking.

Hopefully #1 option is good enough.
    1) No. You can learn how to backup here

2) No, it uninstalls everything, you need to backup, BUT some apps might not work.

Good luck.
    2010-08-04 07:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD