Hi,

I am new to the forum so hello for starters. The only reason I have never got an iphone previously is due to itunes and the huge apple holdings they have on customers. But I broke due to the sexiness of the Iphone 4 and brought one.

PLease forgive me and my terms as I have only been advised of the website and never heard of or knew about being able to JB the phone which I am very keen on doing so free it up.

First off, My itunes on my computer is the latest version 4.0.1 and so is my Iphone 4 on 4.0.1 I have backed it up yesterday and all my apps music and everything is stored on my comp thru itunes.

Now what i want help is, What are my next steps to Jailbreak the phone. WHat software do i need? Steps to do it.

How do i put music on the phone, is this still thru itunes, do i just have to turn sync off. What happens with updates etc.

All the help will be fully appreciated. As I am only 2 weeks new to apple. Cheers guys. Also I have a windows 7 computer if that helps too.

U1
    2010-08-03 11:41 AM
    Go to jailbreakme.com in safari on your iPhone.
    Slide to jailbreak.
    Thats it.
    2010-08-03 11:44 AM
    Can I still use itunes as I do now. Also can I still update my itunes on the computer will it affect the phone. Can I update the phone using itunes still or is this a no no. What are the procedures for this please. Will I loose anything on my phone feature wise.

And how do i restore phone back to 4.0.1 if it doesnt work or work how id like.
    2010-08-03 11:52 AM
    Yes. No, maybe the jailbreak if they release a new update. Yes but if they release a new firmware update it would break your jailbreak, not your phone. Go into itunes and click restore on your devices main page.
    2010-08-03 12:33 PM
    If i click restore it would then restore to the 4.0.1 am I correct.
    I then update phone using itunes to latest update say for example 4.0.4

I then go back to jailbreakme on my phone if they have the break for the new update when they do.

How do i get my apps back, apple and jailbroken apps. Or would they all be stored on my itunes if i sync it before i restore.

Sorry for the questions, I just dont know how it works.
    Last edited by ultimate1984; 2010-08-03 at 12:45 PM.
    2010-08-03 12:43 PM
    Yes you are correct.
    Yes but it might be a completely different jailbreak not on that site, but yes.
    Appstore apps will be stored on itunes if you sync before you restore and you could always set up the phone from a backup once you restore, itunes give you the option.
    Jailbreak apps are erased. If you purchased an app in Cydia you can always retrieve it with the account you set up.
    Its cool I dont mind. I was there before.
    2010-08-03 12:50 PM
    Excellent, I will certainly be thanking you.

I will do a backup tonight and then have a go. Any apps u recommend from cydia.

Also any apps i download from a third party non apple, will these also save on my itunes for safety. But obviously just wont work when phone is unbroken.

Cheers
    2010-08-03 12:59 PM
    A lot of useful things on cydia, sbsettings is a personal fav, 3G Unrestrictor, bosspaper and winterboard also work fine with iOS4.

Other greats are infiniboard, terminal, dtunes altho they are only working perfectly on FW3. dTunes works but you cannot torrent because of no terminal support.
    2010-08-03 01:15 PM
    NEVER update to a new apple firmware until you check with this site to see if it is ok to do so. Otherwise you could be stuck without jailbreak for a while.
    2010-08-03 01:27 PM
    ok, thank you will01 and simtech, great. just what i wanted to know. Does this also mean not to update itunes on computer either.
    2010-08-03 01:50 PM
    Sometimes even iTunes update can kill your jailbreak. Always check back here before updating anything new from apple.
    2010-08-03 01:52 PM
    Ok, cool. In that case, No iphone/ or itunes update unless its something that actually needs doing and only update when there is a break available for it. Got it lol. Finally. I think i am almost there lol. Cheers guys
    2010-08-03 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD