I have a iphone 4 demo unit, that I can't upgrade through I tunes and can't do restore from a different backup, what can I do to turn it into a fully function iphone 4?
    2010-08-04 01:30 AM
    You have to not steal an iphone!!!
    2010-08-04 02:18 AM
    Wasn't necessarily stolen, but then again, where WOULD you get a legit demo unit?
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks
    2010-08-04 02:28 AM
    ye haha, but I didn't I got scammed in kijiji, so is there any way of forcing the iphone to upgrade through itunes or do factory restore on the iphone?
    2010-08-04 02:30 AM
    Yes. Do this:
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Put an iPhone Into DFU Mode
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks
    2010-08-04 02:34 AM
    I was at the apple store the other day. This chic and her mom were there PISSED because their new ip4 had a video loop that wouldn't stop! Turns out radio shack SOLD them a demo unit!
    2010-08-04 04:45 AM
    Whats the diff between a demo unit and a real one software-wise? Just curious...

Does it restrict a restore or upgrade?
    2010-08-04 06:14 AM
    well there is no way of changing your sim card and there is no pin hole to open the sim tray, and you can't delete or rearrange any apps. Also did the person get their refund? did they show a reciept?
    2010-08-04 06:53 AM
    I also have an Iphone 4 demo unit 4.0.1. and just unlocked it via jailbreakme.com

It has an endless video loop and a bunch of annoying demo apps. Apps CAN be rearranged but only in itunes. The demo apps cannot be removed. Also the sim tray CAN be removed, just press hard enough.
    2010-09-09 07:41 AM
    It would be great if you are an apple sales person, you can then just hit play and you can just keep quiet while your iPhone can do all the work...LOl
    2010-09-09 08:08 AM
    For future reference, I've figured it out - to get it out of demo mode and back to normal without restoring, jailbreak it and install OpenSSH, then edit the /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.demo-settings.plist file (I did this by downloading it to my Mac with ssh, using Property List Editor and uploading it) and set "LockIcons" and "StoreDemoMode" to false (you might just be able to delete the file, I didn't try).

To stop the demo video from playing, delete /var/mobile/Demo.mov

Then I guess you can erase content and settings if you like. Sorted!
    Here is the fix
    2010-09-09 08:34 AM
    well in my case i did a restore and the phone never will go past the activation and itunes is saying contact apple or at&t. i have been on the phone with them and they cant resolve it...
    2010-12-13 07:33 AM
    ...where on Earth is "kijiji?"

Incidentally, I doubt you can get a demo unit legitimately--the specified movie and plist aren't on my i4 with 4.1, so though you may not have stolen it, I can almost assure you it was likely stolen.

I'm personally stunned that Apple didn't just revoke that ECID for SHSH signing (supposedly standard protocol for stolen units).

Anywho, I'd advise you to contact the authorities. It's illegal in many parts of the world to be in possession of stolen property (especially if you know/have reason to believe/should have known the property was stolen).
    2010-12-13 08:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD